CA Smog Check - Page 2 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Update on the smog check.

Did some research on the CA DMV swamp and figured out that its just a simple inspection and ODB read to make sure there are no engine codes. Took about 15 mins after all the questions about the car. No actual engine exhaust check or anything. One hassle is that the car does not have a barcode for the tech to scan so he looked around for quite some time before giving up and manually entering the data.

All hybrid cars after 2005 need 2 year smog check.

Nice hassle to deal with going forward and a good waste of $70 plus smog cert fee.
sterling500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Got my Karma CA Smog tested today. Cost $60.00 including the certificate and only took a few minutes. Consisted of an inspection and reading the OBDII port only. Didn't even have to turn on the engine. Of course it passed with no issues. The only thing that took a bit of time was that the two fellows running the smog station had a lot of questions and wanted to take pictures of my Karma. They'd never seen a Karma before. Registration and License will cost me another $548.00.
marswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

My latest renewal (year 6) is the first one that required a SMOG check. Will report back when I have it done.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ira

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
My latest renewal (year 6) is the first one that required a SMOG check. Will report back when I have it done.
Moi aussi.
Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

I took my car for its CA SMOG check yesterday but ended getting a smug check instead.

Drove the car to my neighborhood test station, feeling very pleased with myself for driving an electric car into the test bay. After all, what could possibly generate fewer emissions than a car running on stored battery power?

To my utter humiliation, my Electric Vehicle, unlike all the ICE-powered cars I had owned before, failed the SMOG test.

The technician was equally baffled by this result and explained that the failure was due to two stored fault codes, one of which should have resulted in a MIL, but had not. Without a MIL, I had no reason to check for fault codes before going for the test, feeling very smug about my EV, and ended up getting humbled. The technician, for his part, was very nice and told me that I could come back for a free re-test later if I can clear the codes.

After a quick call to Pat to make sure I was not breaking anything by doing this, I went ahead and cleared the codes using my faithful Gopoint BT-1 scanner and the Dashcommand App cleared all the fault codes. After driving the car around today to make sure the codes would not come back, after a quick check of the codes to make sure no new ones had appeared, I went back for a re-test, which the Karma passed with flying colors.

Nothing with this car is simple or straightforward. Pro Tip: If you are taking your car in for an emissions check and have access to an OBDII scanner, check for codes before taking the car in. Just because the MIL is not lit up, it does not mean that there are no fault codes stored in memory.

Let's hope I remember that in two years when I have to take the car for its next CA SMOG check.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 01-03-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage

I have Signature Car#13, Certified Pre owned, by Phiskerphilly/Joe F which I just purchased about 2 months ago. In Ohio when getting license plates for a car brought in from another state, over 5 years old, requires an emissions test. I was fortunate and no problems passing. Thanks Joe.
Signature Car #13, Silver Mirage, Tri-Tone Mohave
buzinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
I took my car for its CA SMOG check yesterday but ended getting a smug check instead.

Drove the car to my neighborhood test station, feeling very pleased with myself for driving an electric car into the test bay. After all, what could possibly generate fewer emissions than a car running on stored battery power?

To my utter humiliation, my Electric Vehicle, unlike all the ICE-powered cars I had owned before, failed the SMOG test.

The technician was equally baffled by this result and explained that the failure was due to two stored fault codes, one of which should have resulted in a MIL, but had not. Without a MIL, I had no reason to check for fault codes before going for the test, feeling very smug about my EV, and ended up getting humbled. The technician, for his part, was very nice and told me that I could come back for a free re-test later if I can clear the codes.

After a quick call to Pat to make sure I was not breaking anything by doing this, I went ahead and cleared the codes using my faithful Gopoint BT-1 scanner and the Dashcommand App cleared all the fault codes. After driving the car around today to make sure the codes would not come back, after a quick check of the codes to make sure no new ones had appeared, I went back for a re-test, which the Karma passed with flying colors.

Nothing with this car is simple or straightforward. Pro Tip: If you are taking your car in for an emissions check and have access to an OBDII scanner, check for codes before taking the car in. Just because the MIL is not lit up, it does not mean that there are no fault codes stored in memory.

Let's hope I remember that in two years when I have to take the car for its next CA SMOG check.
Just had mine smogged and passed. Seemed like a waste of money, but glad it passed. I guess CA changed the requirements last year. Oh well. Hoping ok in 2 more years too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Fedkrma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Just finished my smog check with no issues. In and out within 10 minutes and most of that was talking about the car.
JAM_22 is offline   Reply With Quote