Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Charging problem

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Harleyguy 
#1 ·
I bought my Fisker Karma about a month ago. Having a strange charging problem. Half the time the car will not charge. I do hear a faint click. If I wait for the computer to shut down, the success rate goes up quite a bit. Any ideas what is causing it?

#4 ·
Not enough info what charger are you using the original fisker ones are junk. The gear shift indicator should only stay lit for 45 seconds if it doesnt the car isn't on the latest software.
If it stays lit you need to wait till that light goes out before plugging the car in . Another suggestion is find a public charging station and see if the car charges. Is the check engine light on ?

#5 ·
I am using a BMW 240V and 110V charges. Both produce same results. The check engine light did come up once, but went away after about a week of driving.

If I plug the car right away I usually hear a faint click and the car will not charge. If I wait about two minutes and plug in the car o hear a loud click and the car charges.
Karma of Troy MI had the car recently and I was told I am running 535 software. However the column stays lit a bit longer than 45 seconds. I think it is about 1.5 minutes. Will measure exact time tonight.

Same issue with public chargers.

If I lock the car prior to plugging it in and it fails to charge, I get the flashing Ready sign and the car is stuck in park / neutral.

I bought my Fisker Karma about a month ago. Having a strange charging problem. Half the time the car will not charge. I do hear a faint click. If I wait for the computer to shut down, the success rate goes up quite a bit. Any ideas what is causing it?
Not enough info what charger are you using the original fisker ones are junk. The gear shift indicator should only stay lit for 45 seconds if it doesnt the car isn't on the latest software.
If it stays lit you need to wait till that light goes out before plugging the car in . Another suggestion is find a public charging station and see if the car charges. Is the check engine light on ?

#7 ·
You are running a very old version of the software, and for that version, the behavior is normal. You used to have to wait for the car to go to sleep before plugging it in. Some people, myself included, still do that even though the more current software versions work fine either way. There have been reports of problems with the most recent version of the software (535), so if you get to pick the version, I would suggest upgrading to 520 and calling it a day.

#8 ·
If you don't let the car go to sleep it should still charge the problem was the cooling fan would stay running all nigh if you didnt let it go to sleep. If I had to guess you have two problems one is the software level your on you need to remove 535 and have 520 installed. At that point I would recheck the charging .
When you first plug the car in under the car you should hear a pretty loud clunk those are the high voltage relays closing.
If you hear the same clunk again about 10 seconds later you have a problem with one of the contactors and or another charging issue.
You need to hear that loud clunk and not hear it again while the car is charging

#9 ·
If I plug the car in right away I typically hear a soft click and it will not charge. At that point if I unplug the charger and plug it back in I hear repeated soft clicks coming from the front of the car until I unplug it.
Yes If I wait 2 minutes and plug in I hear a loud click and the car charges fine. It doesn?t click again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.