Crackle at start up - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Default Crackle at start up

I have owned my Fisker now with 18,000 miles, trouble free. Last week, when I started my car, I heard this crackling or crunching sound like the crinkling of metal, paper and water for about 15 seconds and then it goes away. It has continued ever since when starting the car and the sound repeats itself almost in the exact cadence 3 to 5 times over the 15 second period, then stops.

I am not having any issues BUT I am concerned this is a sign of one to come if not addressed. Any ideas?
SoloKae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloKae View Post
I have owned my Fisker now with 18,000 miles, trouble free. Last week, when I started my car, I heard this crackling or crunching sound like the crinkling of metal, paper and water for about 15 seconds and then it goes away. It has continued ever since when starting the car and the sound repeats itself almost in the exact cadence 3 to 5 times over the 15 second period, then stops.

I am not having any issues BUT I am concerned this is a sign of one to come if not addressed. Any ideas?
It sounds like the curtain that directs airflow for the HVAC system has torn and can no longer function. I'm having the same issue.
marswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marswill View Post
It sounds like the curtain that directs airflow for the HVAC system has torn and can no longer function. I'm having the same issue.
Well--my AC works, so not sure that's it? But--when I do have the ICE engaged, my AC is not the best. I'm heading into the winter months so not too terribly concerned NOW.

If any pros out there would suggest that the AC may still work but the when the ICE is engaged it is likely still the HVAC having a torn air curtain, I'd like to know if anyone is selling the torn air curtain.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Quote:
Well--my AC works, so not sure that's it? But--when I do have the ICE engaged, my AC is not the best. I'm heading into the winter months so not too terribly concerned NOW.

If any pros out there would suggest that the AC may still work but the when the ICE is engaged it is likely still the HVAC having a torn air curtain, I'd like to know if anyone is selling the torn air curtain.

Thanks!
The AC and heater will work fine with a torn curtain. The airflow just won't be directed to the optimal exit for the particular mode, i.e., heat will come out of the dash vents when it shouldn't.
marswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marswill View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
The AC and heater will work fine with a torn curtain. The airflow just won't be directed to the optimal exit for the particular mode, i.e., heat will come out of the dash vents when it shouldn't.
That sounds accurate! So--who sells em'?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)

Quote:

Contact Joe Ferrante at http://fiskerofcherryhill.com/

He can sell you the part but...

It is not an easy fix, you have to pull the dash to replace the HVAC blind roller. Probably like 10 hours of labor. Are you handy?
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
Quote:

Contact Joe Ferrante at http://fiskerofcherryhill.com/

He can sell you the part but...

It is not an easy fix, you have to pull the dash to replace the HVAC blind roller. Probably like 10 hours of labor. Are you handy?
Handy--yes. Abundance of time? No.

Closest Fisker dealer to me is in Troy, MI (Detroit area) but I never see any posts on here from any certified pros and so am nervous to have them do work. I live in Grand Rapids, MI--I can fly a CSP in or even head to Chicago as both Chicago and Detroit are two hours either way; I could coordinate drop off and pick up centered around business travel.

Any good CSP's in Michigan?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)

Quote:
Handy--yes. Abundance of time? No.

Closest Fisker dealer to me is in Troy, MI (Detroit area) but I never see any posts on here from any certified pros and so am nervous to have them do work. I live in Grand Rapids, MI--I can fly a CSP in or even head to Chicago as both Chicago and Detroit are two hours either way; I could coordinate drop off and pick up centered around business travel.

Any good CSP's in Michigan?
If i were you, would ship/drive car to Joe in New Jersey then ship/driveback. That way you know done right. He can also check out the rest of the car make sure everything is up to snuff. My 2 cents.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
If i were you, would ship/drive car to Joe in New Jersey then ship/driveback. That way you know done right. He can also check out the rest of the car make sure everything is up to snuff. My 2 cents.
I will add my 0.02 to his. Joe is far more knowledgeable and experienced that your local dealers. Adam Potter (AKA @Harleyguy) would also be a superb choice, but he is in Florida and a Joe is a lot closer to you.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
I will add my 0.02 to his. Joe is far more knowledgeable and experienced that your local dealers. Adam Potter (AKA @Harleyguy) would also be a superb choice, but he is in Florida and a Joe is a lot closer to you.
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. I'll look to get in touch with Joe about it.

Cheers!
-Mason