Karma refuses to engage in D or R - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Karma refuses to engage in D or R

Hi all,

I live in Philly but spend half my time in Miami, which is where my 2012 Karma lives. 55k miles on it.

Lately, its been refusing to engage in D or R, after being stopped at a light for example. I've also noticed that at times the engine runs at inexplicably high RPM (sport mode) when stopped at a light also, for example.

A couple of nights ago it threw a REDUCED PERFORMANCE code.

Any thoughts on what might be going on or where to look?

Thanks!
BritM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)

What software version are you on?
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't know. I can find out. Are the issues possibly related to software release?
BritM5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritM5 View Post
I don't know. I can find out. Are the issues possibly related to software release?

It has been known to happen on 53x see this post

https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-...tml#post246449

Has your car been serviced/updated by a CSP in the past 18 mos?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritM5 View Post

Lately, its been refusing to engage in D or R, after being stopped at a light for example. I've also noticed that at times the engine runs at inexplicably high RPM (sport mode) when stopped at a light also, for example.
The problem mentioned by @PowerSource typically manifests when you first start up the car. The usual symptom is that the "Start" light flashes instead of staying on and the car does not respond to pressing "D" or "R".

From your description, it sounds like the problem is manifesting while you are driving the car, not when you first start it up. If that is the case, the problem may be a weak or unbalanced cell in the main battery. Obviously, it is impossible to rule anything in or out based on this description and whoever looks at the car should consider all possibilities before making a diagnosis.

Can you clarify a bit further? In particular, are you switching out of "D" while waiting at a stop light and can't get back to "D" again? Or are you having problems while you are driving around?

If the car is located in Miami, and can still be driven, you should consider taking it to @Harleyguy while it is still moving under its own power.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 09-21-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
The problem mentioned by @PowerSource typically manifests when you first start up the car. The usual symptom is that the "Start" light flashes instead of staying on and the car does not respond to pressing "D" or "R".

From your description, it sounds like the problem is manifesting while you are driving the car, not when you first start it up.
In the thread linked above apparently it happened to owner Bert Yetman at a stoplight

Quote:

My Karma was just returned after having the 70 pt inspection, a new 12V battery, two new front tires, and 530.
The first night it would only charge to 4 miles, and I had a Hi Voltage battery light, which went out after a restart. It came on several times during the day on startup. Ran on ICE all day.
The second night it charged to 24 miles, and again the Hi Voltage light illuminated. I tried a hard reboot. Light went out and I drove off with the ICE running. While waiting for a red light, I went to Park. On the green light, the car would not come out of park, except for neutral. Holding up traffic, I turned the emergency flashers on. The car will not shut off with flashers on. Called 911. The police arrived and lit flares around the Karma.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
In the thread linked above apparently it happened to owner Bert Yetman at a stoplight
Yikes! Had forgotten about this one. Great pull.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote