Fisker Buzz Forums

Fisker Buzz Forums

Fisker Buzz Forums (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Fisker Karma (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/)
-   -   Stearing linkage repair (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/36338-stearing-linkage-repair.html)

HenrikW 07-11-2017 05:04 AM

Stearing linkage repair

Hello all. Needed to get my car checked by the department of viehcles in Sweden. They found that I have an issue in the front right outer stearing linkage. There´s a "glitch" so the tire wiggle a bit. Has anybody changed this before? Apparently a common wear and tear part on all cars according to department of viehcles.

If someone knows, where can I buy the parts needed?

Big thx for the help.

Br Henrik

Fabulist 07-11-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikW (Post 292930)
Hello all. Needed to get my car checked by the department of viehcles in Sweden. They found that I have an issue in the front right outer stearing linkage. There´s a "glitch" so the tire wiggle a bit. Has anybody changed this before? Apparently a common wear and tear part on all cars according to department of viehcles.

Big thx for the help.

Br Henrik

This is a question for @Harleyguy and @FiskerPhilly. Were the folks at the inspection office more specific? Here are photos of the front suspension:

https://tu9srvbirvvtmjmkc2vydmljzxmu...U%3D_$/$/$/$/$

https://tu9srvbirvvtmjmkc2vydmljzxmu...eXBl_$/$/$/$/$

Any particular component they suggested as the culprit?

Harleyguy 07-11-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikW (Post 292930)

Big thx for the help.

Br Henrik

It sounds like to me the inner steering rack tie rod is loose that's the most common wear part. You need to verify that's whats worn. If you put the car up on a lift and grab the tire and wiggle in and out you should see and feel the play .
Now for the bad news the tie rods aren't available separately you need to buy a complete steering rack. You can replace the steering rack or just remove the inner tie rods from the new rack and install the tie rods on your steering rack. Since you need to buy a complete steering rack I would replace both of them.

As far as parts the steering rack are available not sure how you can handle shipping. And if there is any dealerships in Europe you can order from . If not you will have to order from USA the shipping is going to be expensive unless you have the tie rods removed here and just ship you the tie rods .

tomsin 07-12-2017 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hello i have one used but good one. if need please write me.

HenrikW 07-13-2017 06:13 AM

Thx for the input. I will drive the car down to Amsterdam so Kroymans (where the car was bought) can fix the problem. Just worried how long I´ll have the have the car in the shop.

Br Henrik

HenrikW 07-13-2017 06:27 AM

Hello Again. It was the yellow arrow on the last picture where they showed me the wiggle. What is the name of that component?

Big Thx

Fabulist 07-13-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikW (Post 293050)
Hello Again. It was the yellow arrow on the last picture where they showed me the wiggle. What is the name of that component?

Big Thx

Quote:

The steering tie-rod end (yellow) mounts quite low on the front knuckle, but that's because the front-mounted steering rack (green) is positioned quite low on the front subframe. There's lots of steering rigidity here; the steering rack itself is hard-mounted to the front subframe, which in turn is hard-mounted to the chassis.
BTW, The photo and description are from this 2012 post on Edmunds.com. It is a detailed inspection of the Karma's suspension system with many photographs and great commentary. It may be worth a casual read if you are interested in the Karma's systems.

Harleyguy 07-14-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikW (Post 293050)

Big Thx

Better make sure that's the tie rod end they are available separately and aren't that expensive. I've see more failures of the inner tie rod versus the outer if it's the outer your lucky . You have to make sure the play is where the tie rod end goes into the lower control arm.
The play in the inner tie rod can be seen when you move the wheel. You have to peel back the steering rack boot and you can see the play

tbjorge 11-24-2017 03:42 PM

Hi Henrik,

I had my car inspected today, and I got exactly the same fault as you indicated in your post, wiggle where the yellow arrow points (outer tie-rod end). However, seeing the comments from Harleyguy, inner rods are more common fault.

In your case, what was the conclusion on the fault, and what was replaced?

Sha 04-06-2018 08:42 AM

Hi,

Well, it seems like this is a common problem in the nordic countries. I was today for the yearly inspection and guess what, I too got a notice of the exact same problem on the right wheel. There is a play and it's the outer tie-rod end.

HarleyGuy: Do you have that part available for purchase?

Thanks in advance

steven 04-06-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleyguy (Post 293162)
Better make sure that's the tie rod end they are available separately

Is there no way to press in new bushings on an old tie-rod? Something like this? click here

Also didn't Fisker source a Corvette Front end?

Nazc0 04-06-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven (Post 314138)
Is there no way to press in new bushings on an old tie-rod? Something like this? click here

Its not a bushing issue, It uses a ball joint at the end. The part is relatively inexpensive and easy to install. I would suggest doing both sides while you are at it as the car will need an alignment afterwards.

Harleyguy 04-06-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha (Post 314130)
Hi,

Well, it seems like this is a common problem in the nordic countries. I was today for the yearly inspection and guess what, I too got a notice of the exact same problem on the right wheel. There is a play and it's the outer tie-rod end.

HarleyGuy: Do you have that part available for purchase?

Thanks in advance

PM answered

Harleyguy 04-06-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazc0 (Post 314146)
Its not a bushing issue, It uses a ball joint at the end. The part is relatively inexpensive and easy to install. I would suggest doing both sides while you are at it as the car will need an alignment afterwards.

Your information is in correct you can not just replace the ball joint on the lower control arms . Also the problem is the bushings on the lower control arm wear out. You have two choices replace both control arms or buy a set of bushings Alex Pop has made and press out the old ones and press in the new ones. As far as out and inner tie rods if the other ones are worn out you buy just the other tie rods. If the inner ones are worn out you need to buy a complete steering rack or find a set of good used ones. Fisker never produced the inner tie rods or sell them separate.
This post had two separate discussions concerning front end problems

Harleyguy 04-06-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven (Post 314138)

That looks like a replacement boot and no its not a Corvette front end. The Corvette and the Karma are two different sizes.
Also the steering rack was based on a Corvette steering rack but Fisker modified the racks steering sensor and changed it's position on the steering rack

Nazc0 04-06-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleyguy (Post 314170)
Your information is in correct you can not just replace the ball joint on the lower control arms . Also the problem is the bushings on the lower control arm wear out. You have two choices replace both control arms or buy a set of bushings Alex Pop has made and press out the old ones and press in the new ones. As far as out and inner tie rods if the other ones are worn out you buy just the other tie rods. If the inner ones are worn out you need to buy a complete steering rack or find a set of good used ones. Fisker never produced the inner tie rods or sell them separate.

I was referring to the outer tie rods and not the control arm. The tie rod uses a ball joint on the end of it, not a bushing as Steven was asking. Outer tie rods are not serviceable and get replaced.

Sha 04-06-2018 05:24 PM

Hi fellows,

The part I think is being asked for here (the one I need) is the steering tie rod end outer position. Upon searching, I have found that the part is manufactured by Deeza.

http://www.deezachassis.com/catalog.html

Partnumber is CD-T103 and it's specially manufactured for the Fisker Karma.

Can anybody help me to get that part, I need two, will change both sides. I need to fix the car within 30 days to get it pass inspection, so I can enjoy it during the summer again.

Thanks again.

PowerSource 04-06-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha (Post 314202)
Hi fellows,

The part I think is being asked for here (the one I need) is the steering tie rod end outer position. Upon searching, I have found that the part is manufactured by Deeza.

Can anybody help me to get that part, I need two, will change both sides. I need to fix the car within 30 days to get it pass inspection, so I can enjoy it during the summer again.

Thanks again.

You can get that from @FiskerPhilly

part number C131120112001 I believe

FiskerPhilly 04-06-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha (Post 314202)
Hi fellows,

Thanks again.

I have plenty of them in stock, new.

Email me your name and address so I can send you a quote with shipping.
[email protected]

Sha 04-06-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiskerPhilly (Post 314218)
I have plenty of them in stock, new.

Email me your name and address so I can send you a quote with shipping.
[email protected]

Thanks, email sent.

Sha 04-24-2018 05:33 PM

Got the car passed inspection today with two new tie rod end outer installed, front wheel alignment plus two new summer tires. The car drives like a charm.

Thanks Joe for getting the tie rod parts out quickly, appriciated.

1DopeTech 12-07-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomsin (Post 293002)
hello i have one used but good one. if need please write me.

still have that’s steering rack?

B. Surm 03-27-2019 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleyguy (Post 314170)

Dear Harleyguy,

Today my Fisker went for regular service and the front wheel arm need to be replaced because of wear on the joints (see picture with red arrows). Are bushings available for this or should both whole arms be replaced?

The car only drove 98k km ~ 60k mi...??? is this normal wear??

Thanks in advance for your answer.

BartAttachment 13099

ufojoe 03-27-2019 12:12 PM

It's normal. Alex Pop at Elite Motors OC has upgraded bushings available.

B. Surm 03-27-2019 04:25 PM

I just spoke to Alex and he will send the set to The Netherlands. The original bushings are probably to lightly engineered for the weight of the car. The patented modified bushings didn’t need to be replaced until now in contrast to new wheel arms...

firepilot1 05-07-2019 01:25 PM

Found them...both front and rear. Thanks.

B. Surm 05-09-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. Surm (Post 325249)
I just spoke to Alex and he will send the set to The Netherlands. The original bushings are probably to lightly engineered for the weight of the car. The patented modified bushings didn’t need to be replaced until now in contrast to new wheel arms...

Yesterday the front control arm bushings were replaced by a local mechanic and all four wheels were aligned. The mechanic needed at least three hours to press and hammer the old bushings out and put the new bushings from Alex Pop in. I hope my new tires will last longer now with the alignement. The bushings probably will not need a replacement anymore.

This method saved me at least € 1500 incl. taxes, because my Fisker service center advised me to change both control arms that would cost me in total around € 3000 without labour… and after 80.000 km again… and after 80.000 km again etc.

Thanks Alex!

For your information.

Bart