Reclaimed Wood Trim - Page 2 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWkarma View Post
Anyone else remember when it was all solid wood though? My old Rovers, Jags and MGs all had beautiful thick slabs of burlwood for dashboards, door caps and trim. One of our rovers even had solid burlwood picnic tables and crystal glassware that folded out of the back. Just gorgeous with chrome trim and cream leather.
Those were the days
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrillt View Post
Nothing crazy and not ascam. Actually it's the case in ALL cars - it's just a veneer. Certainly you don't think all that wood in Jaguars, Bentleys, Mercedes, ect are solid blocks/boards of wood all over the dash.
Just weird that they promoted as reclaimed wood as a product benefit, when it is plastic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Fedkrma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWkarma View Post
Anyone else remember when it was all solid wood though? My old Rovers, Jags and MGs all had beautiful thick slabs of burlwood for dashboards, door caps and trim. One of our rovers even had solid burlwood picnic tables and crystal glassware that folded out of the back. Just gorgeous with chrome trim and cream leather.
You might have mistaken the wood you saw as being a solid exotic board(s). Many people think they have solid birdseye maple, mahogany, etc (or the sales rep told you that) but in fact itís actually a thin veneer or a very thin board over a support with a core of wood/plastic, or metal. It's been that way since definitely the mid 70s. Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and all the ultra-manufacturers using high end wood trim follow the same process and have done so for many years and its no secret.

Same process for furniture to make it look like solid exotic wood, when in fact itís a wood core with a veneer, hence they can advertrise "solid wood furniture".

Here are pics:

sherrillt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2017, 02:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
You might have mistaken the wood you saw as being a solid exotic board(s). Many people think they have solid birdseye maple, mahogany, etc (or the sales rep told you that) but in fact it’s actually a thin veneer or a very thin board over a support with a core of wood/plastic, or metal. It's been that way since definitely the mid 70s. Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and all the ultra-manufacturers using high end wood trim follow the same process and have done so for many years and its no secret.

Same process for furniture to make it look like solid exotic wood, when in fact it’s a wood core with a veneer, hence they can advertrise "solid wood furniture".
Yes, you're right! One car I remember in particular was a Rover P5. What had me convinced it was solid is that it had the same finish on the back of the door panels and dashboard where clearly no-one could or ever would see. I did a little digging to find out why. Apparently back in the day, they would laminate the back of the panels also to balance the stresses in the wood, which made it look like a solid piece - it had a burl finish all the way around, plus an endgrain. Now that I think of it, I'm sure the end grain wouldn't have matched. Anyway, thanks for the enlightenment Always fun learning something new.

Last edited by Fabulist; 06-04-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added end-of-quote marker.
PNWkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
You might have mistaken the wood you saw as being a solid exotic board(s). Many people think they have solid birdseye maple, mahogany, etc (or the sales rep told you that) but in fact itís actually a thin veneer or a very thin board over a support with a core of wood/plastic, or metal. It's been that way since definitely the mid 70s. Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and all the ultra-manufacturers using high end wood trim follow the same process and have done so for many years and its no secret.

Same process for furniture to make it look like solid exotic wood, when in fact itís a wood core with a veneer, hence they can advertrise "solid wood furniture".

Here are pics:

Thanks for the clarification and visual aid. Very helpful and clarifies the facts. Much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Fedkrma is offline   Reply With Quote