Another 12V Battery thread...... - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Default Another 12V Battery thread......

Hi Guys,
I need some help.
I've searched the forum and been down about 100 rabbit holes looking for a step by step procedure to replace the 12 volt battery.
Piecing together info from various other threads I've come up with this, so far:
Fabulist 7/10/2016 Wrote:
”The battery is located behind the right front tire. While it is possible to replace the battery without opening up the hood, it would be safer to disconnect the negative cable from inside the engine compartment before disconnecting the battery.”

HarleyGuy 7/05/2016 :
The battery needs to be replaced you also need to disconnect the 12 volt battery ground before you replace the battery. The battery ground is where you do the hard reset.
Remove wheel peel back in fender wheel .Remove the torq screw at the front of the battery. Loosen the 13 mm nut on the side of the battery that holds the side hold down.
Loosen the positive cable that's the cable you see when you peel back the wheel well liner .
Slide battery out some so you can reach to the back of the battery so you can loosen the negative cable. remove cable slide battery out.
Install new battery and make sure the positive side of the battery is facing out. Slide battery in enough so you can get the negative cable on and push the battery back all the way tighten all the cables.
Reconnect the hard rest cable

Ira 7/04/2016 :
To replace the 12V battery:
Step 1: Disconnect 12v and Pull Front Passenger Side Wheel.
Step 2: Remove inner fender liner
Step 3: Remove battery tie-downs
Step 4: Remove current sensor and terminals
Step 5: Reverse Procedure

I have a couple of questions and a suggestion for the forum moderators.

Questions
HarleyGuy's comment about disconnecting the ground. "The battery ground is where you do the hard reset". What the heck is he talking about? I searched "Hard Reset Procedure" which led me down 1000 more rabbit holes.
Am I looking for a wire with a lug on it that is grounded to the frame or a junction box?
Someone else mentions that you need to pull the fuse in the red box by the firewall ( I see the red box but not a fuse) to do a hard reset and that the connector on the passenger fender is to do a soft reset.

Ira says to disconnect the 12 volt. Is this the connector on the passenger fender well? Ira does not mention the ground wire that HarleyGuy eludes to.

Suggestions
Can we start a section for all the different procedures that this car needs from time to time? It would save the moderators and the great technical geniuses that we rely on a ton of time by not having to answer the same questions over and over. These could be sticky threads, keep them technical and free of chit chat etc......

A few items that could be on that list would be:
How to do a hard reset
How to do a soft reset
How to disconnect your 12v
How to replace your 12v battery
How to get into your car when the key fob doesn't work
How to change your state on the Nav system

How to calibrate your parking brake (also mentioned as a to-do after replacing the 12v battery)
How to calibrate your power windows (another 12v battery replace thing)

I'm sure you get the picture.

As always, thanks in advance and if you could steer me in the right direction for "Disconnect the ground" asap that would be great...

Special K
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

PS, for those that are interested......
HarleyGuy stated that the Interstate MTP 48/H6 was a good replacement battery. Costco sells this battery but with a different number. It is their #29 battery. I confirmed this with Interstate Batteries.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
PS, for those that are interested......
HarleyGuy stated that the Interstate MTP 48/H6 was a good replacement battery. Costco sells this battery but with a different number. It is their #29 battery. I confirmed this with Interstate Batteries.
what is a Costco #29 battery -- tried looking it up no luck.

Also can we get a sticky or the CORRECT procedure to change a 12V battery. My 12V died last week and trying to replace it to get my car back on the road and no real good thread explaining the process for members

Old 08-15-2017, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Default Interstate MTP-48H6

The Interstate MTP-48/H6 is not the same as the Interstate MTP-48H6.

I made a big mistake by not paying attention to the details. I put the MTP-48/H6 in the Fisker and had problems.

Harleyguy recommends the MTP-48H6 without the "/".

Sam
scurry1074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I need some help.
I've searched the forum and been down about 100 rabbit holes looking for a step by step procedure to replace the 12 volt battery.
Piecing together info from various other threads I've come up with this, so far:
”The battery is located behind the right front tire. While it is possible to replace the battery without opening up the hood, it would be safer to disconnect the negative cable from inside the engine compartment before disconnecting the battery.”

HarleyGuy 7/05/2016 :
The battery needs to be replaced you also need to disconnect the 12 volt battery ground before you replace the battery. The battery ground is where you do the hard reset.
Remove wheel peel back in fender wheel .Remove the torq screw at the front of the battery. Loosen the 13 mm nut on the side of the battery that holds the side hold down.
Loosen the positive cable that's the cable you see when you peel back the wheel well liner .
Slide battery out some so you can reach to the back of the battery so you can loosen the negative cable. remove cable slide battery out.
Install new battery and make sure the positive side of the battery is facing out. Slide battery in enough so you can get the negative cable on and push the battery back all the way tighten all the cables.

Ira 7/04/2016 :

Questions
HarleyGuy's comment about disconnecting the ground. "The battery ground is where you do the hard reset". What the heck is he talking about? I searched "Hard Reset Procedure" which led me down 1000 more rabbit holes.
Am I looking for a wire with a lug on it that is grounded to the frame or a junction box?
Someone else mentions that you need to pull the fuse in the red box by the firewall ( I see the red box but not a fuse) to do a hard reset and that the connector on the passenger fender is to do a soft reset.

Ira says to disconnect the 12 volt. Is this the connector on the passenger fender well? Ira does not mention the ground wire that HarleyGuy eludes to.

Suggestions
Can we start a section for all the different procedures that this car needs from time to time? It would save the moderators and the great technical geniuses that we rely on a ton of time by not having to answer the same questions over and over. These could be sticky threads, keep them technical and free of chit chat etc......

How to do a hard reset
How to do a soft reset

How to calibrate your parking brake (also mentioned as a to-do after replacing the 12v battery)

As always, thanks in advance and if you could steer me in the right direction for "Disconnect the ground" asap that would be great...

Special K
Thanks—agreed. I went to the garage today to start my car and it won’t turn over. My key fobs aren’t working, and all I can assume is the 12v battery—but would the entry chimes still be functional? My overhead lights illuminate and the prompt comes up on the screen. No clue.
SoloKae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I need some help.

HarleyGuy 7/05/2016 :

Ira 7/04/2016 :

Questions

Suggestions

How to do a hard reset
How to do a soft reset

Special K
You have a long list of requests for sure some of you questions can be answered in the owners manual .
Over the last 5 or 6 years since I’ve been a member these topics have been asked and answered . Use the search function any way I will try to answer some of your questions
To get into the car when the battery is dead remove the valet key out of the key fob and use the key in the right front door lock located on the handle . It’s pretty hard to turn but it will open the door . Also each door has an emergency release if you get stuck inside the car . Access cover located on the door pull handle underneath. .

Soft reset let the car go to sleep which means the orange light inside the gear selector is out .

Hard reset is where you disconnect the big black plug on the inside of the right side fender . That plug is also the main battery ground you don’t need to look for any other battery grounds in the car to disconnect the 12 volt battery . That is the ground you need to disconnect when you change your 12 volt battery .

Parking brake calibration has to be done when you loose 12 volt power in the car. A warning will be flashing on the instrument cluster showing parking brake calibration is needed .
Step on the brake pedal apply the parking brake then release the parking brake. When completed the light will go out .

Window calibration is also easy to do. Using the window switch’s close each window until it reaches the top and stops moving keep holding the switch in the closed position for a couple more seconds then release the switch. The window will auto down and up after its calibrated. Do each switch one at a time or you can do the front two using your middle finger and pointing finger st the same time.

Changing the state on the Nav is a little harder to explain . The button you touch while in setting is in the bottom left of the screen but is very hard to see . If you can’t see it hold a flash light up to the screen it might help you see the button better. Maybe someone here can take a picture of the screen for you . I don’t have any cars in the shop right now.

Hope that helps some .
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Signatory #80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default max 12v Batterie size (length)

Dear all
I had my 12v batterie on a trickle charger over the winter, but nevertheless she is dead - which is acceptable after 6years..

I did not find any indication, if instead of the standard (278mm long) Varta battery one could also place a 315mm long one with more power..
Is there enough space for it?

..I had ordered 2 by mistake for my wife's VW bus...
many thanks!
frenchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Great info, Harley!

I've been conducting a lot of searches for certain topics since I started my research before even buying my Fisker. This knowledge contained in this forum is priceless for many of us. As I get time today, I plan to start compiling "self help" topics into a spreadsheet (yes, I'm a nerd that way). I planned to do it for my own use, but if there is enough demand I can find a way to post or share it. Right now, my simple format for columns will be something like, "Topic," "Contributed by" (the expert that shared the info), and then "Instructions."

Let me know if there is more interest and/or input into how to organize the spreadsheet, as well as other potential topics to add.

UPDATE: I'll also add a "category" column (electrical, nav, tires, etc.) for the topics to make it easier to sort when searching for topics.
EasyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
Great info, Harley!

I've been conducting a lot of searches for certain topics since I started my research before even buying my Fisker. This knowledge contained in this forum is priceless for many of us. As I get time today, I plan to start compiling "self help" topics into a spreadsheet (yes, I'm a nerd that way). I planned to do it for my own use, but if there is enough demand I can find a way to post or share it. Right now, my simple format for columns will be something like, "Topic," "Contributed by" (the expert that shared the info), and then "Instructions."

Let me know if there is more interest and/or input into how to organize the spreadsheet, as well as other potential topics to add.

UPDATE: I'll also add a "category" column (electrical, nav, tires, etc.) for the topics to make it easier to sort when searching for topics.
yes very interested.
posted as a sticky would be great!
rosssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Signatory #80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I tried it the hard way: regarding the battery length - the answer is no.

you push in the battery and then it is held by a metal flap and a screw on the short side.
You would need to have a longer flap to insert a longer battery.

By the way: the 12V battery is sitting directly under the plastic fender without any protection. So if someone crashes into your car there, the battery will explode!
frenchp is offline   Reply With Quote