VCM is toast...where to buy new one? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Default VCM is toast...where to buy new one?

Car is dead. I've had issues with water, so I'm assuming the VCM is finally fried. I'd like to see if it could be saved, but only have 1 key, not both sets.

Assuming it can't be reflashed, where do I buy a new VCM? Online? And can I simply install it myself like putting in computer memory in a slot or is it more involved?
vapevine.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)

hmmm is there verifiable damage to the VCM? If not...

Probably lost its wake up signal. This would require going to a CSP for re-flash. Would try this first obviously before condemning the unit.

I assume you checked simple things like 12v etc. There is a known shortage of VCM's and they are not making anymore of these (Revero uses a different body controller). It is quite involved to replace. You can see the VCM on the drivers left side under the dash. Wouldn't say it is a DIY job because things can go wrong that require the scan tool
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)

Not only does the VCM have to be replaced the keys both of them need to be programmed to the new VCM. If you do need a VCM the keys and VCM can be programmed in another Fisker removed and installed into your car. The VCM isn't locked to the car.
Also if you find a Fisker in the junk yard that they are parting out you can use that VCM. You have no way to program it yourself but it's possible to change out yourself.
The VCM is in a very tight area does the car do anything or does anything work?
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
Not only does the VCM have to be replaced the keys both of them need to be programmed to the new VCM. If you do need a VCM the keys and VCM can be programmed in another Fisker removed and installed into your car. The VCM isn't locked to the car.
Also if you find a Fisker in the junk yard that they are parting out you can use that VCM. You have no way to program it yourself but it's possible to change out yourself.
The VCM is in a very tight area does the car do anything or does anything work?

I tried to jump start today. The car would honk when I connected the final black (negative) to the neutral...and spark. But no other signs of life. Temp is -5.

Doors do not open. No lights. No infotainment. No start button. And even the hard reset produces no sounds or clicks. Dead.
I have not tried a multi-meter yet however to see if there is any juice left.

Definitely lost its wake up call...zero recognition...but I have no idea if the VCM is actually shot.

1. Should I attach a trickle charger to the battery instead of a jump and let it sit for a couple days?
2. Should I first test the 12v with a multi-meter before doing anything else...what numbers should I look for....12.6V reading? What cold cranking amps should I get?
Old 12-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
hmmm is there verifiable damage to the VCM? If not...

Probably lost its wake up signal. This would require going to a CSP for re-flash. Would try this first obviously before condemning the unit.

I assume you checked simple things like 12v etc. There is a known shortage of VCM's and they are not making anymore of these (Revero uses a different body controller). It is quite involved to replace. You can see the VCM on the drivers left side under the dash. Wouldn't say it is a DIY job because things can go wrong that require the scan tool
No, I haven't verified damage to the VCM.
What readings should I look for when I test the 12v tomorrow....gonna go buy a multi-meter.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)

If it looses the wakeup signal everything will work except for the touch screen the dash board and the orange light in the gear selector. If the doors and things like that are dead it looks like the VCM has been damaged providing your 12 volt battery is good .
With a jumper cables on the car the doors should work and windows when placed in ACC mode
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote