drivetrain steps by steps - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Default drivetrain steps by steps

Hello,

I own an ecochic of 10 000 miles. Bad luck or bad construction.....my drivetrain broke a week ago. I have to admit that its not cheap to change.

As I do have access to several tech and engineers because of my job, I would like to change it myself. However, I feel there are some basic steps to do to avoid collateral damage, such as unpluging HV batteries, etc.

Of course, Karma don't want to tell me those basic steps, as it is so complicated according to them. We are not talking about rebuilding a boeing 747, we just need removing and replacing a drivetrain on a car.

Does someone could help me with the major steps of changing my drivetrain ?

would be much appreciated

Tks, Michael
hydroressources is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroressources View Post
Hello,

I own an ecochic of 10 000 miles. Bad luck or bad construction.....my drivetrain broke a week ago. I have to admit that its not cheap to change.

As I do have access to several tech and engineers because of my job, I would like to change it myself. However, I feel there are some basic steps to do to avoid collateral damage, such as unpluging HV batteries, etc.

Of course, Karma don't want to tell me those basic steps, as it is so complicated according to them. We are not talking about rebuilding a boeing 747, we just need removing and replacing a drivetrain on a car.

Does someone could help me with the major steps of changing my drivetrain ?

would be much appreciated

Tks, Michael
Generally speaking..Remove MSD underneath drivers side rear passenger seat then remove rear bumper and then close out panel and cables from inverter then the rear subframe. Pretty self explanatory here is a picture that may help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture 2.jpg (69.3 KB, 110 views)
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tks for this input. Sorry for asking (I'm french), but what is the meaning of MSD ? Any care when we disconnect everything from the inverter ? Any other electrical stuff that I need to take care ?

On a mechanical stand point, I'll be ok. It is more stuff related to batteries that freak me out !

Tks

Old 11-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Tks for this input. Sorry for asking (I'm french), but what is the meaning of MSD ? Any care when we disconnect everything from the inverter ? Any other electrical stuff that I need to take care ?

On a mechanical stand point, I'll be ok. It is more stuff related to batteries that freak me out !

Tks
MSD is the manual service disconnect which is the main fuse for the battery pack. This will "disable" the pack. It is an orange plug underneath the drivers side rear passenger seat. You will also want to disconnect the 12v plug on the passenger side front fender (inside the engine bay).

Once the MSD is removed, you can then safely disconnect the high voltage cables. You will still want to use a Volt meter and rubber gloves to measure the voltage at the cables to ensure that the pack has indeed been disabled prior to any HV work. Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)

Quote:

Tks
You will find some useful information here, including the location of the MSD.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

terrific guys. Tks to both of you. I'll post some photos eventually for the benefit of others.

Cheers
Old 11-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
terrific guys. Tks to both of you. I'll post some photos eventually for the benefit of others.

Cheers

Are you just swapping out a complete RDM unit with motors or are you rebuiding the motors and RDM?
Old 11-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, depend on the problem. It looks like to be a RDM problem. If so, won't touch the electric motors.

However, instead of changing the RDM for the new revero RDM, I might consider rebuilding it. I can't understand why Karma just waranty the new RDM for only a year. That indicates a lack of confidence on the part !

So' I'l see.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)

Quote:
Well, depend on the problem. It looks like to be a RDM problem. If so, won't touch the electric motors.

However, instead of changing the RDM for the new revero RDM, I might consider rebuilding it. I can't understand why Karma just waranty the new RDM for only a year. That indicates a lack of confidence on the part !

So' I'l see.
@hydroressources, There is a known weakness in the connection between the electrical motors and the RDM (search for the phrase "soft spline") which can be addressed in a couple of different ways. Even if your current failure is not caused by this weakness, as long as you have the RDM off the car, it would make sense to address this issue at the same time. Best solution is to get upgraded RDM and upgraded Motors as a single unit and swap them at the same time. I am not trying to spend your money for you, but spending strategically at this stage may help avoid future problems.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tks Fabulist for this input. That is very impressive how the engineers of Fisker did it wrong. That remain very basic mechanics, calculate the torque, the HP, acceleration and shear strength of metal parts. Rotation and torque are common stuff in several applications such as pumps and impeller.

Well, I will put all that out and check for the splines as well. If I see a problem, I'll try to find a way to weld or clip all that together instead of leaving some potential free space.

However, according to what I saw on previous post, noise on decel is more associated with the drivetrain. That is what I noticed before it broke. So that make sense to believe it is the drivetrain.

The post I read was from 2013. So far do you know if some found alternate ways to prevent failure, other then replacing the motors (another 8 000 $ I think)

Tks