A/C Windshield Fogging Solution? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Default A/C Windshield Fogging Solution?

Even after an expensive and very difficult HVAC fix last year, I'm finding that the bottom center of the front windshield is fogging in summer weather (just above the windshield vent).

Harleyguy suggested directing all A/C to the feet, which does work, but better still would be some way of blocking the problem vent itself (about an inch wide, but maybe 30-40" long).

Has anyone out there found any object that does a good job of blocking the vent, or at least directing the cold air away from the windshield?
Karma #328: Shadow on Monsoon Tri-tone
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Garage

Have you tried applying an anti-fog to the glass? It may help. I want a way to direct AC up the seat!
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

I'm sure it's hard on my battery, but living in heat with only 7% humidity is probably helping me not experience this Karma problem.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Update: I took a thin plastic cutting board (kitchen type) and cut it to fit in as a temporary fix, but in doing this I took a better look inside the vent and found that something (a screen?) had detached and fallen out of place in there, which is clearly the problem.

It cost thousands to fix another problem with this same vent a year ago (HVAC module), so hopefully Harleyguy has a solution that doesn't involve major surgery.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Update: I took a thin plastic cutting board (kitchen type) and cut it to fit in as a temporary fix, but in doing this I took a better look inside the vent and found that something (a screen?) had detached and fallen out of place in there, which is clearly the problem.

It cost thousands to fix another problem with this same vent a year ago (HVAC module), so hopefully Harleyguy has a solution that doesn't involve major surgery.
Giant tweezer set from Harbor Freight? Could you fix it using those and a few tools should get you started in the right direction.
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Took car in today for a look, and was told that my HVAC was broken in the same way as it was before I paid $3500 or so to fix it a year ago, so this post has taken on additional importance to the community, to wit:

IF YOU HAVE A WINDSHIELD FOGGING PROBLEM, DO NOT PAY $3000++ TO REPLACE YOUR HVAC MODULE, BECAUSE A FAULTY COMPUTER PART IS ALSO INVOLVED, AND THAT PART ISN'T AVAILABLE, SO THE PROBLEM WILL JUST RE-OCCUR.
REPLACING THE HVAC MODULE IS A WASTE OF MONEY.

I'm told many owners have the fogging problem, more so in the hotter states like Florida, but the "solution" is to block the top vent, either with a towel resting on top of the vent (the cheap fix), or by taking the works apart and blocking it from within (the more aesthetic, but also more expensive, fix). As for myself, I bought a "craftsman tool box liner" from Sears for $11 today, which has the thickness of a computer mouse pad, and I'm attempting to cut it to fit inside the top of the vent as a cheap/aesthetic fix. I'll update to let y'all know how it goes.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Acura Vent Slider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Post How to fix a foggy windshield

Step by step instructions to FIX A FOGGY WINDSHIELD

Mist can be cleared numerous ways. While there is no expert arrangement that works the best inevitably, there are two basic procedures that are liable to work truly well.

DRY OUT THE AIR

Contingent upon your solace levels, the better choice could be to run the A/C. We prescribe utilizing this strategy when temperatures outside are above cold and the haze is brought on by wet, moist people inside the auto. Running the A/C on chilly is ideal, however you can turn the dial to a hotter temperature while as yet running the air-con and still get great results.

Vanish THE WATER VAPOR

For a typically snappy and simple fix, run heat through your defrosters and it will bring about the buildup to dissipate kind of like how a garments dryer utilizes warmth to vanish dampness. This technique more often than not functions admirably when you find the haze developing at an opportune time and when the temperatures are cool.

For to a great degree foggy windshields, you can utilize a dry material or little squeegee to rapidly clear the mist and after that run the air-con on icy. In the event that running the air-con on icy makes you too nippy, then gradually build the temperature until the air dries out inside your auto. Keep in mind when attempting to become scarce the air inside your auto to acquire outside air as opposed to circling inside air. Most autos these days do this naturally when the defrosters are on.
Martinadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

The bots are getting smarter.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePalmBJ View Post
The bots are getting smarter.
Would never pass a Turing test.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
Would never pass a Turing test.
Never say never

-Brent
(or is it?)