UPDATE: Found! was "Stolen: #328 (from Miami, FL)" - Page 3 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #21 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
FOUND! Don't know how to edit title, but good news for me for sure. Car was found a couple of miles away parked in an outdoor condo parking lot. It was in a reserved spot, and a resident was going to call for a tow, but figured the car looked out of place and called it in to the police (who were ALSO kind enough not to tow it, which would have caused more damage than the perp).

I don't memorize my odometer, but thanks to the electric range indicator I know the car was driven 15 miles or less (I'm sure there was some speeding - the tires are noticeably balder). Other than that, the fact that I'll need to work with Harleyguy on a new key (the fob is still missing and presumably in the hands of the thief), and the fascia being pretty scraped up, everything looks good and all's well that ends well.

It doesn't seem like there was any insidious plot to chop it up for parts or ship it overseas. Our neighborhood is simply experiencing a rash of car "break ins" (with no breaking - people just don't lock their doors), and in this case, someone looking for cash or valuables just got lucky and must have seen the fob sitting there. I'm amazed the guy knew how to start the car and put it in drive - even opening the door is not your usual experience. Anyway this was just bad luck: for the first time in 20 years, my wife left the key in the car, and on that same exact night someone was checking for open doors - one in a million overlap of unlikely events created an opportunity for a joy ride.

Thanks to the fisker buzz community for it's eyes and support. Hope this car is never that far from me again, and repeat my pledge to take it to my grave, so long as there's parts and good people like Adam and Joe to keep it on the road.

All this did make me think that on the "requested features" for the 2017 model, there should be some tracking built-in. We just bought a Lexus recently and it has a lot of features I never would have thought of, such as a speed limiter for valets and child drivers, etc. After this experience, that kind of tech, and tracking, seems very valuable for sure!
Sorry you had to go through all this but thrilled that you have a reasonable outcome. The lessons to all of us are to be well heeded.
fiskerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Good to hear that car is back..
Kanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by willempie1972 View Post
Good news! 👍
I live in Belgium, so this is the only good news I heard today...
Stupid Isis killed many people in Brussels 👎
My prayers and condolences go out to the families who lost loved one and the tragedy they have endured. Like 9/11 for us in the US, we stand with Belgium today! May God have Mercy.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

Yes! Fabulous news!! So, glad it was left in one piece!
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Good News! Congratulations. Lucky for you, the thief did not know how to soft reset the car and had to give it up after a short distance. :-D

Are the cops doing the CSI routine on the car? Here in San Francisco, trying to get the cops to care about a car theft at all is pretty futile, let alone any investigation if the car is recovered.

BTW, you can set up your own tracking by activating an old phone with a minimal plan and leave it plugged into the center console, for example as your music storage device. If there is an issue, you can use a "spot my phone" type app to find the phone, and the car.

Happy Reunion.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:25 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin ja View Post
My prayers and condolences go out to the families who lost loved one and the tragedy they have endured. Like 9/11 for us in the US, we stand with Belgium today! May God have Mercy.
I couldn't agree more - all of America stands with Belgium today and into the future. That these acts of violence are done in the name of religion is a farce.
EVer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:58 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

@non-sequitor...really glad to hear you got your Karma back in one piece!
@Fabulist...what a great idea...thank you!
Weird Fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #28 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage

Fab: when police brought me to the car, I asked if the detective assigned should be notified to dust for prints etc., and they said no. When I got home I wrote the detective to tell him I'd found a rip-top wrapper in the car that would have required a thumb and index finger to open, and he came out and bagged it, but I got the sense he was doing this more to make me feel better than to actually try and catch anybody (like a doctor prescribing antibiotics for a cough). So I have to agree that car theft is a low priority and self-help is advised.

I have an old iPhone 3s, and my carrier is at&t. I wonder how "minimal" a plan I could get. On the one hand, $10 a month isn't much to pay for security, but on the other hand, all this has taught me the car is nearly impossible to steal without the key, so simply remembering to lock doors and always remove the key is about all a person needs to do. I have a feeling if I left even an old iPhone in the car, it would just get stolen (even if concealed), unless I get in the habit of always locking up (which I will be taking great pains to do now).
Karma #328: Shadow on Monsoon Tri-tone
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)

Quote:
Fab: when police brought me to the car....
Hi non sequitur,
Just saw this... so glad for the happy ending to this saga!
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Quote:
my carrier is at&t. I wonder how "minimal" a plan I could get. On the one hand, $10 a month isn't much to pay for security, but on the other hand, all this has taught me the car is nearly impossible to steal without the key, so simply remembering to lock doors and always remove the key is about all a person needs to do. I have a feeling if I left even an old iPhone in the car, it would just get stolen (even if concealed), unless I get in the habit of always locking up (which I will be taking great pains to do now).
AT&T is our family carrier also, and adding a second line to an existing account is generally fairly inexpensive compared to setting up the first line, particularly if you are sharing the talk time and data with the main account. Bear in mind that if you had a connected car, you would have to pay for the airtime as well, although, like Satellite radio, you generally get a few months to a year of free connection when you buy a new car. If your phone has the capability, you can even use the phone to set up a WiFI hotspot in the car. Finally, and this is the best feature IMHO, if the phone can run a relatively recent version of IOS, you can set it up to Sync over WiFi, which means you can update your song collection and playlists without having to take the phone out of your car, as long as it can connect to your home WiFi signal from the parking spot.

Obviously, the more basic and free solutions, such as locking the car, is better than the more technologically advanced solutions such as a do-it-yourself LoJack. It's a good habit to get into, regardless of what else you set up.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote