Buy a Fisker or Wait for Karma Automotive? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
radante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Buy a Fisker or Wait for Karma Automotive?

I've been waiting to own this design for a while. It's the only car that has stirred my soul in the last 5 years. Looking for advice...should I take the plunge and buy a good used Fisker or wait for the updated version from Karma automotive. I'm assuming that the latter will have learned a thing or two about the previous incarnation and improve some of its notorious flaws, not to mention offer a warranty. Are there any qualified mechanics in Ontario, Canada that even work on the Fisker anymore?
radante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

The old cars can now get a 2 year extended warranty. And, have already had their big depreciation. So, the question to start with is ... is money any object to you? Because you'll lose $40-$50K in value in just a couple of years on a new car. But, it's always nice to have a "new" car.

We don't know what differences there will be between the new and the old, but the test cars that have been seen have no outward differences. There have been no announcements about better batteries, or a different engine. So, it's hard to say.

Karma Automotive is doing their best to expand the Certified Service Providers in large metro areas, but there is a lot of shake up going on with existing techs and KA trying to set up dealerships that might want exclusivity.

Last edited by JCMorrill; 03-18-2016 at 10:54 PM.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yeah you definitely want to make sure there's a shop or someone who can service the car around your area.. I'm in somewhat of the same boat (deciding between Karma and a 3 other cars with me leaving towards the Karma) and doing as much research as I can on the Karma to prepare myself.. I've been told to definitely get someone certified to inspect the karma before purchasing it, and after that it'll be based on preference. For me, I want that exclusive feeling and owning one of the cars that "started it all" I feel like I'm gonna die of anxiety waiting out these next few months
jasonton87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

The Karma had a starting price of around $100,000.
You can get a good used one for $50K.
If we are to believe Reuters articles from last year, Wanxiang plans to price the new model from around $135,000.
If what you like the most is the design, you shouldn't be disappointed, it's not going to change.

Anyway KA said they would announce in Q3, I guess that means September.
I'd suggest waiting 3 to 6 more months.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Other than the badge and possibly some new colors, the overall design of the Karma is not going to change. The real question is what technical changes, if any, KA will apply to the new model. I have no direct information, but I doubt that there will be any significant upgrades in the first model year.

If I were shopping for one now, I would probably lean towards a factory-certified used Fisker Karma for $50-60 K rather than buying a Karma Automotive Karma for $130K.

Of course, part of that -- for me -- is that I prefer owning a Fisker-branded car, but YMMV on that one.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
radante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like the idea of owning the original Fisker, and of course, the price. Where can one find a factory-certified used Fisker Karma? I've checked FiskerPhilly's inventory and don't see anything available. Are there any known and qualified techs in the Ontario, Canada region?
radante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Hi Radante. I am an Oakville owner. Rolls Royce of Montreal have or had the best inventory of Fiskers a couple of months ago. They are an excellent reputable dealer and will flatbed the car to you if you buy from them. I'd give them a call if I were you to see what they have in stock, if any. Grand Touring Automobiles of Maple, Ontario are the official dealer and CSP in the Greater Toronto Area and Rob, their technician is excellent and can do a pre-buy inspection of any car for you even if you find one privately. There is one for sale on AutoTrader right now, I believe in Oakville. The key is buying a good car is to get a pre-buy inspection and not necessarily buying it from a dealer. Good luck though whatever you decide to do. The warranty they offer is not really worth it in my opinion unless the warranty already comes in the purchase price. Also, beware importing one from the USA as aside from the fact that the Canadian Dollars sucks right now, the good old Canada Customs will charge you 8% duty on top of the 13% HST as the car was made in Finland and they have to charge that duty. Buy in Canada and save the hassle. I have been through it all with my Aston Martin and nearly had a baby when I had to pay all the taxes and duties. Someone has to keep our totally useless politicians at work and pay their wages. It's the likes of you and I lol!!!!!!!
SAAB 9-3 Aero Cabriolet

Last edited by FiskerZee; 03-27-2016 at 09:08 PM.
FiskerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Have you decided yet? I'm still debating and to be honest.. It seems that the 530 update is not performing too well and it's hurting my confidence a tad
jasonton87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

If I were you guys, I wouldn't worry too much about any software update not performing well. ****, my 2 year old Mercedes had so many problems, software, hardware, engine, you name it. Today's cars are so complex that many manufacturers release software or updates being 90% confident that the thing does what it's supposed to do. The remaining 10% is warranty work and bug fixes, which they do and hope to find out through users of the software. That is just the nature of the beast. Nothing is ever 100%.
SAAB 9-3 Aero Cabriolet
FiskerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
I've had no problems with 530. Solved what it was supposed to, and nothing seems newly kooky to me since I got it. I got to spend a couple hours last week with the managers setting up the new factory. What I learned was the new Karmas will have only a limited number of improvements. The EV & total range will be the same (though the HV battery will be different and it should charge faster). The engine will be the same. The screen & dash displays will be updated. And, the car will have (ADAS) Driver Assist Braking/Cruise Following. The RDM/Traction motors should be more reliable (which seems like the minimum they can do). The quality checking will be much higher. You can order it in a large range of colors (but many of the existing colors will not be available). The car may have some slight facia variances from the 2012 cars on the front/back bumpers -- though they had no examples for us to see. It will have new wheels that are the same size as ours, and a new tire choice (which we can opt for if we want on our existing cars). It will have down-rated brakes unless you pay extra. And, they are planning a fairly limited number production run for 2017 (100-150 cars). The price is not set, but last we heard was ~$135K. Does any of that information help?
Most valuable message in 3 years.
Thanks JC.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote