CIU Issues and potential BL 540 Software - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Default CIU Issues and potential BL 540 Software

The 540 update was suppose to address the screen issue and a few other faults. I'm not sure we will ever see the 540 update . The software Fab is running has a few bugs in it as memtioned the only problem using that version of software if the car gets updated using the car Config manager you will lose the CIU software the car needs to be updated using flash lite.

[Moderator's note: I moved these posts to a new thread to highlight them and since they departed significantly from the "Look at my new coffee mug" original topic ]

Last edited by LonePalmBJ; 03-08-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
The 540 update was suppose to address the screen issue and a few other faults. I'm not sure we will ever see the 540 update . The software Fab is running has a few bugs in it as memtioned the only problem using that version of software if the car gets updated using the car Config manager you will lose the CIU software the car needs to be updated using flash lite.
It would be a shame if a CIU update is dropped for current owners. I can work around the quirks but polishing up the CIU would go a long way to making the car feel complete.
Owner Karma #49 SE,
2013 Chevy Volt
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
ejo3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejo3rd View Post
It would be a shame if a CIU update is dropped for current owners. I can work around the quirks but polishing up the CIU would go a long way to making the car feel complete.
I suggest you start a thread on the Karma Automotive forum . I haven't heard a thing out of Fisker having to do with 540 .
I heard at one point this wasn't going to happen due to Fisker not owning the rights to the software for the CIU I hope they release something but deep down I just don't see it happening . Maybe 540 was part of the agreement they made during the bankruptcy hearing but I have no idea . Maybe making a new thread on this forum some other members here who followed the bankruptcy can chime in.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
I suggest you start a thread on the Karma Automotive forum . I haven't heard a thing out of Fisker having to do with 540 .
I heard at one point this wasn't going to happen due to Fisker not owning the rights to the software for the CIU I hope they release something but deep down I just don't see it happening . Maybe 540 was part of the agreement they made during the bankruptcy hearing but I have no idea . Maybe making a new thread on this forum some other members here who followed the bankruptcy can chime in.
Done. I hope other owners will please post as well.
Owner Karma #49 SE,
2013 Chevy Volt
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
ejo3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejo3rd View Post
Done. I hope other owners will please post as well.
Should start a thread here also
Old 03-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

KA's response
Quote:
Hello all, we haven't given up on trying to find a way to improve the CIU. Some of the former programmers (C, QNX and Windows CE) have been located, some vendors have been identified who helped create this system but unfortunately not all are still in business. Our project is active but moving at a snails pace unfortunately.
Suggestion........ release the code so owners can fix the bugs. If they have to get all the vendors back on board, it is likely there will never be an update to the CIU. This system is antique and really has no value to KA. Owners have a real interest in putting in the sweat equity to improve the system.
Fanofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofearth View Post
KA's response
Suggestion........ release the code so owners can fix the bugs. If they have to get all the vendors back on board, it is likely there will never be an update to the CIU. This system is antique and really has no value to KA. Owners have a real interest in putting in the sweat equity to improve the system.
The entire problem is that KA does not have ready access or even possibly ownership of the code to release. The subsystems in the original Karma were all created by, and in many cases the IP owned by, various subcontractors. KA inherited this situation when they bought the company ou of bankruptcy and have been endeavoring to identify the original sources and individuals. They've made some progress but have a long way to go. Here's what Joost de Vries, VP at Karma Automotive, said on the topic just today in the official owner's forum:

Hello all, we haven't given up on trying to find a way to improve the CIU. Some of the former programmers (C, QNX and Windows CE) have been located, some vendors have been identified who helped create this system but unfortunately not all are still in business. Our project is active but moving at a snails pace unfortunately.

If you go searching through this board's history you'll find lots of comments on this topic including a lot of technical discussion (as well as speculation and inaccuracies) about the technical stack, development environment, O/S, language and protocols used. Collectively from all accounts it seems to be a mess.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Can't we jut upgrade the components in our FY 2012 to their FY 2017 model and have that as an option?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

There are a lot of us with IT skills who would love a crack at it! If only we had a way to load/unload (and most importantly of all restore) the code in the unit ... I'm sure I for one could make a start at de-compiling it.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not only do you need a CIU which is easy to get you also need the touch screen. One visit to Fisker I met the engineer who took over the whole CIU mess his desk had a full console on it the CIU and a bunch of test equipment that was at least three years a go . He no longer works for Fisker laid off like everyone else .
I know at one point Fisker was trying to bring him back after they went back into business and they actually came to some agreement but he never went back.
When I spoke to him he really wanted to finish what he started but it never came to be.