Fisker Buzz Forums

Fisker Buzz Forums

Fisker Buzz Forums (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Fisker Karma (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/)
-   -   Battery replacement (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/26066-battery-replacement.html)

Tibor 01-27-2016 08:33 AM

Battery replacement

I was at one of the official services at Austria yesterday to make a complete diagnostic and software upgrade. The diagnostic said my Karma has 4 dead modules. The service said they can't replace modules, only the whole battery with all 15 modules. This is unbelievable for me.

Are there shops in Europe where I could buy modules for my Karma? Because there aren't ones in Hungary.

Is it true that battery module of Opel Ampera/Chevrolet Volt is compatible with the ones of Karma?

Also did anybody change modules/cells by not official service?

Thanks for your help!

Nin ja 01-27-2016 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tibor (Post 239114)
I was at one of the official services at Austria yesterday to make a complete diagnostic and software upgrade. The diagnostic said my Karma has 4 dead modules. The service said they can't replace modules, only the whole battery with all 15 modules. This is unbelievable for me.

Are there shops in Europe where I could buy modules for my Karma? Because there aren't ones in Hungary.

Is it true that battery module of Opel Ampera/Chevrolet Volt is compatible with the ones of Karma?

Also did anybody change modules/cells by not official service?

Thanks for your help!

PM FISKERPHILLY and HARLYGUY, they'll get you squared away

tamkien79 01-27-2016 07:01 PM

my car had 2 dead modules, i didn't have to replace the whole thing. I had my service at elite motor.

ufojoe 01-27-2016 07:24 PM

Alex from Elite Motors OC just replaced three of mine

Ira 01-27-2016 08:58 PM

Changing battery modules requires special factory training and special equipment. It's also expensive. And there's no guarantee that the remaining modules will not fail at some time in the future.

A123 had 3 manufacturing lines, one of which had prismatic cell alignment problems. This was discovered after the Consumer Reports test car completely shutdown due to multiple cell failures.

IMHO, replacing a couple of bad modules is worth the risk. But four going bad is a big red flag. You should think about getting a new battery.

Tibor 01-28-2016 04:13 AM

Thanks for your quick response/suggestions!

Anyway how many cells do a module have?

Ira 01-28-2016 06:03 AM

21 cells per each of the 15 modules.