Just Curious:If I could convert your Karma to V8 would you do it - Page 7 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #61 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKS_5 View Post
Well I think this would be an LS9 with an auto but I'm sure the transmission could be any compatible one the mechanic can find. I wonder if any experienced engine swap shop could do a swap like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The swap is the easiest thing of this all. The issue is the integration with all the vehicles systems

VCM, DIS etc.. you need to be able to control all the functions of the vehicle which all rely on the body controller and the CAN messages that are sent to it. Only way to do it without integrating with any of the components in the vehicle is to strip down the Karma and install parts off a donor GM vehicle (i.e seat controllers, cluster, body controller etc). The VCM essentially controls most of the vehicle functions; while it is possible there is much more than just swapping out parts (i.e. integration work). So.. best way is to buy a donor car with what you want and swap it all over and do not expect to re-use anything from the karma except for most of the non electronics parts (i.e. carpet, headliner dash etc.)
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #62 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
The swap is the easiest thing of this all. The issue is the integration with all the vehicles systems

VCM, DIS etc.. you need to be able to control all the functions of the vehicle which all rely on the body controller and the CAN messages that are sent to it. Only way to do it without integrating with any of the components in the vehicle is to strip down the Karma and install parts off a donor GM vehicle (i.e seat controllers, cluster, body controller etc). The VCM essentially controls most of the vehicle functions; while it is possible there is much more than just swapping out parts (i.e. integration work). So.. best way is to buy a donor car with what you want and swap it all over and do not expect to re-use anything from the karma except for most of the non electronics parts (i.e. carpet, headliner dash etc.)
is that what they did with the destino ?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin ja View Post
is that what they did with the destino ?
From what I heard I think they actually paid Lear, MTA etc to write custom software for the Destino- so that it would work with the engine swap and Karma components. I am not sure what exactly works the same and what was replaced on the Destino. Joe could probably answer it better since he has seen one up close

Old 05-20-2017, 12:38 AM   #64 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
From what I heard I think they actually paid Lear, MTA etc to write custom software for the Destino- so that it would work with the engine swap and Karma components. I am not sure what exactly works the same and what was replaced on the Destino. Joe could probably answer it better since he has seen one up close

Thx
Old 05-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #65 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm guessing this custom software isn't and won't be available to us laymen?

Quote:
icemann427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann427 View Post
I'm guessing this custom software isn't and won't be available to us laymen?
That is a question for Henrik and VLF. I think it would be smart of them to sell a builders kit for the destino rather than sell retrofitted cars. I bet they would sell a lot more of the kits than complete vehicles.

Sort of like what AEV does with their hemi jeep conversions..

You get a complete wire harness
Gateway ECU
Mounts etc

The end user just has to provide the powertrain and transaxle (relatively easy to find a crate LS from the numerous catalogs)
Old 05-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #67 (permalink)

^^^^^^

Thank you!
Old 05-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Someone should make a swap kit and sell it
flsupraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #69 (permalink)

I'm guessing that individual replacement parts will become available in the future to purchase which would have the updated software already incorporated, no?

Quote:
That is a question for Henrik and VLF. I think it would be smart of them to sell a builders kit for the destino rather than sell retrofitted cars. I bet they would sell a lot more of the kits than complete vehicles.

Sort of like what AEV does with their hemi jeep conversions..

You get a complete wire harness
Gateway ECU
Mounts etc

The end user just has to provide the powertrain and transaxle (relatively easy to find a crate LS from the numerous catalogs)
Old 05-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #70 (permalink)

^^^^
I can't edit my posts, yet, so I can't add to what I thought about, above, but I'm guessing engine electronics/engine mounts/rear ends/transaxles/drivelines/frame connections, etc. would be available, too. Just thinking out loud...