Just Curious:If I could convert your Karma to V8 would you do it - Page 4 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #31 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

The whole reason I bought the car! If anything ever went wrong, I'd just put a LS in it. My shop does LS swaps on a daily basis, so nothing new here. Some Dakota Digital gauges, vintage air, and stereo and no need for the CIU. I hope you guys find enough customers, as I'd love to see it.
halocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by halocars View Post
The whole reason I bought the car! If anything ever went wrong, I'd just put a LS in it. My shop does LS swaps on a daily basis, so nothing new here. Some Dakota Digital gauges, vintage air, and stereo and no need for the CIU. I hope you guys find enough customers, as I'd love to see it.
why don't you have your shop do it and let us see what it looks like and costs? It's good to have more people doing it, could reduce costs?
Old 01-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)

Quote:

Been collecting parts to do my personal swap as well for one of my parts Karma's. Here are the parts that need to be removed:

1. Traction Motor
    LT Radiator & Shroud Sub Asm RH
    LT Radiator & Shroud Sub Asm LH
    LT Coolant Pump
    LT Coolant Pump
    Inverter Tm1
    Inverter Tm2
    Inverter Gen
    Hybrid Control Module
    HV Mot 1 & 2HV AC Power Cable
    HV Inv 3 (Gen.) HV DC Power Cable
    HV Inv 1 &2 DC Power Cable
    High Voltage Battery Pack
    Generator
    Fluid Heater (PTC)
    Engine - GM 2.0L 2011 LNF TURBO/FISKER
    Electric Compressor
    DC-DC Converter
    Cable ASM-DRV MOT BAT Charger Rcpt. 110Volt US
    Battery Charger - Eflex On Board Charger Module (3.3kW)
    Assembly, RDM Transaxle

Corvette transaxle fits pretty well where the RDM is and the driveshaft + exhaust fit perfectly in the center tunnel. Pretty straight forward swap mechanically.

My tentative plan:

You can get CAN controlled gauges to replace the current DIS. Easiest way would be to remove the 3 LCD's in the DIS and install conventional gauges in the existing binnacle (Tachometer and Speedometer)

In place of the CIU TPI will install the following 6 gauges:

Oil Pressure
Fuel Level
Coolant Temp
12v Amps
Oil Temp
Clock

Setup similar to the picture below for AC controls (aircraft style levers)

Last edited by PowerSource; 02-24-2017 at 11:34 PM.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin ja View Post
why don't you have your shop do it and let us see what it looks like and costs? It's good to have more people doing it, could reduce costs?
Since my car is running fine with no issues, not really looking to tear it apart. If and when something major goes wrong, then I'll rip into it. If you looking for somebody to do this on a "production" scale, then by the sounds of this post Fisker Philly is your man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
You can get CAN controlled gauges to replace the current DIS. Easiest way would be to remove the 3 LCD's in the DIS and install conventional gauges in the existing binnacle (Tachometer and Speedometer)

In place of the CIU TPI will install the following 6 gauges:

Oil Pressure
Fuel Level
Coolant Temp
12v Amps
Oil Temp
Clock

Setup similar to the picture below for AC controls (aircraft style levers)
I would look into Dakota Digital for gauges. They're simple to setup with an LS, and would provide you all the gauges you want within the 2 large openings left in the DIS. As for AC are you planning on trying to wire those levers into a stock GM system? If so, would love to know how that turns out, and how you pulled it off!! I would love to do that with some of our hot rod builds, but we'll stick to Vintage Air and RestoMod Air systems for now.
halocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)

Quote:
Since my car is running fine with no issues, not really looking to tear it apart. If and when something major goes wrong, then I'll rip into it. If you looking for somebody to do this on a "production" scale, then by the sounds of this post Fisker Philly is your man!
Doing this to a spare parts Karma we have 10 Karma's and have procured a few as spares. Using the closest one to a basket case for this project.

Quote:
I would look into Dakota Digital for gauges. They're simple to setup with an LS, and would provide you all the gauges you want within the 2 large openings left in the DIS. As for AC are you planning on trying to wire those levers into a stock GM system? If so, would love to know how that turns out, and how you pulled it off!! I would love to do that with some of our hot rod builds, but we'll stick to Vintage Air and RestoMod Air systems for now.
I don't like the look of the Dakota Digital gauges, I was looking to use them in a few jeep projects but ended up going stock (although I do use their tach sending unit in a CJ7(exempt) 4BT cummins swap that I did- uses the alternator W output to feed stock analog tach). I prefer the old school look. Could easily fabricate a tachometer reluctor setup for the tach sending unit for a modern vehicle. Want to keep the 2012 Karma rig OBD compliant so will be using CAN for everything else for emission testing purposes in California. Plus makes it a lot easier to add more functions later on without a huge rats nest of wires.

My A/C system will be a modified vintage air system that will include additional vents for the rear passengers (likely in the B-Pillar or rear parcel shelf). For the controls I am going to take apart the Gen IV control unit and re-purpose them as pull and push levers rather than the combination of stock switches and levers. Shouldn't be a major issue. Just will take time to put it all together properly.

Radio will be an analog Becker Europa.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Resurrected Autoworks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

currently in process of building one now!...l.s. 2 conversion twin turbo...looking for wiring schematics to keep factory interior, braking etc...any one with info on the subject would be appreciated...
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:12 AM   #37 (permalink)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
currently in process of building one now!...l.s. 2 conversion twin turbo...looking for wiring schematics to keep factory interior, braking etc...any one with info on the subject would be appreciated...
Drop me a email I will see what I can do for you
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Default Convert to Destino

If I find a Fisker Karma with salvage title once converted to Chevrolet V8 with Corvette Transaxle and other changes will it have a clean title?
carnutdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:15 AM   #39 (permalink)
Resurrected Autoworks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

doubtful...but if it was salved because of drive train issues a good car fax could still get decent resale value...depends on buyer...I'm sure if you dig deep enough you might find a loophole for washing that vin clean...I'm not savvy with all the different laws from every state

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #40 (permalink)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutdr View Post
If I find a Fisker Karma with salvage title once converted to Chevrolet V8 with Corvette Transaxle and other changes will it have a clean title?
If you kept the registration as a Fisker Karma which is the easiest then you will have a salvage title.If you want to title as a specail car you will go through **** trying to get a title. Anytime in the past that I converted cars to another drive train the title would still say the original company. I used to drop V8 into Volvo's
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote