Speculation on the next gen Karma Automotive Karma - Page 6 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #51 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

By the way, the only car I park in my garage is the Aston Martin DB7 GT as it sees no rain and no snow. My experiences with parking my previous new and older cars in the garage were that, after a day of driving in winter on the salty roads of Toronto, a warm garage is the last place you want to put your car in. Regardless of anti corrosion technology, any steel parts of the car, including nuts, bolts, engine parts, etc rusted a lot faster in the garage as the heat combined with the salt already on the car acts like an acid and eats through the flipping steel parts in less time than if you park your car outside in the cold. This is actually chemically proven and the heat acts as a catalyst. So, please, if you live in a cold climate area where they salt your roads like icing on a cake like they do here in Ontario and particularly Toronto, don't park your Fisker in the garage. Do it a favor and park it outside. Its steel parts will thank you for ever!!.
SAAB 9-3 Aero Cabriolet
FiskerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #52 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
I don't disagree regarding solar roof. My only point was that despite its shortcomings, it did serve a useful purpose for a new car company trying to get their cars recognized and to get some buzz around their product. Even Fisker seemed to recognize that the benefits of the solar roof were pretty much exhausted by the time they designed the Atlantic, and did not put one in that car.
Production Atlantic and Surf were supposed to have PV panels. They just could not find proto panels to put on the concept vehicles thus the clear roof. Atlantic was cobbled together with glue and styrofoam for the NY Auto Show. If that vehicle ever sees the light of day count on it being a significantly different looking car.
F222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #53 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofearth View Post
Yea what a bummer that the CSP warranty is only good for as long as you have funds. Once those funds are depleted there is no warranty for any of the work that was completed under the program.

I am not holding my breath for the new warranty, as I heard it will be double digit thousands.
To clarify: the CSP will end January 31, 2016, which I think will come before the funds are depleted.
Karma #328: Shadow on Monsoon Tri-tone
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #54 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Yes, I agree. Although, sometimes it still stays ON for whatever reason even if it has reached temperature.
SAAB 9-3 Aero Cabriolet
FiskerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #55 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
To clarify: the CSP will end January 31, 2016, which I think will come before the funds are depleted.
I heard "double thousands" -- not double digit. Over $10K would be ridiculous.

If all else fails, any group of us create a simple, private "warranty fund" to cover major repairs if we wanted to. E.G. 10 owners (whose cars get a clean bill of health from a CSP at least on the major systems) create a fund of $20K to be used for serious battery/RDM/TM/Computer/Generator/Engine/HVAC repairs (not due to accidents) costing over $500. The first members of the group that submit bills from a CSP to the fund manager for those kinds of repairs, get reimbursed for anything over $500 from the fund until the money runs out. Anything left after 2 years is refunded in equal parts to the members.

Something like that. Of course, it'd just be much simpler if the manufacturer handled all the submissions/payments. They might be able to negotiate special rates for repairs/parts, etc ... . But, it's not necessary.

Last edited by JCMorrill; 12-09-2015 at 10:53 PM.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #56 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
I heard "double thousands" -- not double digit. Over $10K would be ridiculous.

If all else fails, any group of us create a simple, private "warranty fund" to cover major repairs if we wanted to. E.G. 10 owners (whose cars get a clean bill of health from a CSP at least on the major systems) create a fund of $20K to be used for serious battery/RDM/TM/Computer/Generator/Engine/HVAC repairs (not due to accidents) costing over $500. The first members of the group that submit bills from a CSP to the fund manager for those kinds of repairs, get reimbursed for anything over $500 from the fund until the money runs out. Anything left after 2 years is refunded in equal parts to the members.

Something like that. Of course, it'd just be much simpler if the manufacturer handled all the submissions/payments. They might be able to negotiate special rates for repairs/parts, etc ... . But, it's not necessary.
If the warranty is only "double thousands" then it would be foolish for anyone to pay for repair work if they are out of CSP funds. Why wouldn't a potential owner just wait to buy the warranty for "double thousands" and then get RDM, coupler, HVAC, CIU, exhaust, battery and other problem areas replaced at that point? Does a vehicle need to be inspected by Karma Automotive to be eligible or will all owners be able to purchase this warranty? It does not seem to make good business sense for Karma Automotive to offer a warranty for "double thousands" when the wholesale parts and labor costs would be double digit thousands.
Fanofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #57 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

Yeah, they may well require some kind of certification check against pre-existing conditions. But, after that ... that's supposed to be kinda the point. We all put up some money for the few that need a lot and expect the rest won't need much. And, the part of the story I heard was that KA were trying to find a responsible use for lots of the CSP money was going to be left over ... and were going to roll it into the new plan to help cover some of the more fearsome costs. A ridiculous number of the Karmas out there (including mine) have less than 15K miles (many <10K), and have yet to experience the scale of costs the CSP program could cover. They're practically new. I'm hoping for the best. And, it's better than the nearly nothing we have been promised since the original bankruptcy.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote