Speculation on the next gen Karma Automotive Karma - Page 3 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

You can load the vehicle much easier and do not have to bend down when using the falcon wing doors. The Model X is a minivan so it has to be easy to load and for adults to get into. Much more useful IMO than the solar roof. The doors are auto open and have heaters built in. So no problem with the circumstances you posed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elon-musk-standing-inside-backseat-tesla-model-x.jpg (53.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Fanofearth; 12-01-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Fanofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I do realize they have heaters in. That sucks power!. Also, what about close parking and dings?
SAAB 9-3 Aero Cabriolet
FiskerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

There are no self induced dings because the doors auto-articulate when opening and closing. If other people ding your vehicle that is no different than any other vehicle with body panels on the market.

How is this worse than an expensive and heavy solar panel that produces 16% of a mile after basking in 12 hours of sunlight? It is a no brainer.
Fanofearth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

I show my Karma 1-2 times a month ... and I get 3 questions regularly:

1. What is it?
2. Oh, it's electric?
3. Is that a real solar panel?

It is as much a part of the appeal of the car as the rest of the looks. And, I wouldn't trade it away.

Peacocks tails, big tusks, and (sorry ladies) big boobs are not in any way "practical" -- but that doesn't at all mean that species with such affectations are going to not be successful! Sometimes (Often!), attractiveness trumps practicality. Something that Elon Musk has YET to learn.

I have a sheet with 4 photos of 4 different cars: a Nissan, an Audi, a Hyundai, and a Tesla. From time to time, I whip it out and ask people "Quick, which one's the Tesla?" The photos were all taken from the same angle (from the rear corner -- the Tesla bubble grill is a dead give away). Most people have to look at it a long time, and half get it wrong. It would bug me to pay a lot for a special car (and I'll concede the Tesla's are very special from their technical prowess) that I would have trouble finding in the parking lot because it looks like lots of other cars? Outside of the logo, there's nothing particularly distinctive about a Tesla (S) when you see it driving in traffic. Fine, it does 0-60 in 3 seconds. But, who does that on their way to work or going out to dinner?

Yes, a Tesla will have my lunch in a quarter mile drag race. But, if we had a race to drive across the country (within the bounds of normal highway speeds) the Karma would win. It wouldn't have to stop to charge, nor have to take a route that includes a couple hundred miles of deviations to find charging stations. And, I like my Karma because it wins the looks/cool factor race even when it's parked.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage

I like a lot of stuff about the Karma but the extended range and the "non-peanut" look are my main conversation go-ti's.
fiskerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #26 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
I show my Karma 1-2 times a month ... and I get 3 questions regularly:

1. What is it?
2. Oh, it's electric?
3. Is that a real solar panel?

I get the same reaction. Hardly anyone cares that the solar panels are a net loss, they think they're cool.

(I was not going to get one, back when it was going to be an option, but the general public clearly does not view this in terms of efficiency.)
ct-fiskerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)

Happy medium is probably a solid or clear roof with a design that looks like a full length solar roof and a smaller working solar panel at the rear. Most bystanders won't think that a company was crazy enough to waste these types of resources on solar panel that actually siphons off energy.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)

Fisker Zee. Respectafully, a couple of mis-conceptions. I am one of the few that has seen, touched and rode in a Tesla X during its reveal in California.

First the base sale price is $87,000 (200 mile range), and fully loaded non-performance (90KWh battery) prices out to $118,000 -- Slightly more than my Karma. My Performance Model (0-60 under 4 seconds -- not needed, but wanted) will be $136,000. Far less than a BMW I8 and much less than a Porsche Performance SUV. BTW, it will take both of them... IN AN SUV!! Waiting till March to have it.

The Falcon door weren't installed so one could park in a close to another car. The main function is to give access to the 3rd row seats without being a contortionist. A passenger can actually stand up and sit down in the second row seats and easily access the 3rd row. Certainly the sliding door may work, but would place that slider rail down the side of the SUV. Musk would not allow that alternative, just has Hendrick wouldn't allow the engineers to modify his Karma's exterior design. Tesla got a lot of input from women on what they wanted in a car. Women are the main drivers of SUV/CUV's or influence the buying decision. The engineers were challenged to come up with solutions. For example, the second row seats are on "mono-post" so passengers would have a space under the seat for purses or packages -- a major complaint women have with most SUVs and cars. Also each of the seats can individually adjust the seat bottom and seat back's reclining. If someone is accessing the 3rd row on the left, the passengers in the other seats don't have to move their seat to allow access like a bench seat requires.

To the point of the front driver door: It also has sensors and will auto-open if desired (an option in the Interior Package). The front doors are "double-hinged" so one can get in should it be in a close space, should be required like in a garage.

Correct, I would never park within 12 inches of another car. Most of the time my wife says she has to call a cab to get to the store when I drive to the shopping center. However, the question or objection was what if one were trapped in a tight space, or in their garage with only a few feet. So the demonstration was targeted to remove that objection. The original demo was in a garage with another car in the other stalls. They choose a more dramatic for the on-stage presentation.

Silly gadgets? -- consider that a Tesla can drive itself on a highway today! They are continuously connected to Tesla's cloud to update information to the car in real time -- i.e. upgrades to all the cars in a few days when one driver discovers a new exit, speed limit sign change (yes it reads the signs on the road) or finding street not in the nav system and the new information to the entire customer base in a few days -- no service appointment, no taking the car to the dealer, no paper work... poof, like your PC the Tesla has version 6.0.2 or what ever the next release for a given function is needed. They also can monitor the performance and diagnose the car remotely and advise the customer on course of action. Truly continious improvement. Tesla is gaining more navigational information in a week from 50,000 Model S sedans, than Google can get in a year.

Consider the potential when they get to Autonomous driving in a few years.... bye to UBER, Taxis as we know them, car pool changes, etc. Remember the taxis in the sci-fi move with Swazenager on Mars. The "Johnny" cabs with no driver and self opening doors and auto pilot to the destination. Musk has declined to answer that potential for the last two years... I bet for good reason. There is also a automatic charge cable to connect the car to a charger--another gimmick --- I think not.

For the Model X, there are special draining systems for the Falcon doors. Not to mention, when open in rain, they actually function as a umbrella as one gets in the car or while loading the children or groceries. The doors are larger than the opening, offering the protection. The materials in the doors are hydrophobic and repel water. Not sure of what happens in snow.... however, second the US, Tesla's largest customers sales is Norway... I would imagine they considered it.

Lastly, riding in the Model X with Autopilot was truly amazing. I can only anticipate my first road trip in a few months, where I only have to be present in the driver's seat while the car steers and "sees" all around it. Not to mention the ability to auto parallel park in a matter of seconds.

There is a saying: "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"... The auto manufacturers best keep Tesla VERY close.... these aren't gimmicks. IMHO are leading to technologies one never considered in 2012 when we got our Karma's.

I can only imagine what may have been with Hendrick's design ability and Musk engineering capacity. Atlas, there is no room in an organization for two mono-maniacs. So their separate ways.

I love driving my Karma, but there was a lot lost since 2012.... a lot of catching up to do. Hope Karma Automotive is up to the task. I would love to see the next gen...all the thinking from 2010 is out of date.

Last edited by AlJOHN; 12-02-2015 at 12:58 AM.
AlJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #29 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

I hope Karma does not over do the gadgets in the new release. I'm old school and enjoy driving my car, not the other way around. Keeping the automotive tech up to date not the gimmickry.
Owner Karma #49 SE,
2013 Chevy Volt
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
ejo3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

AIJOHN; I am an engineer as I said, and believe me, no one loves all the stuff you mentioned than me. I love and breathe technology. I think Tesla has done an absolutely superb job of integrating advanced technology into the automobile. My point was that every car, be it a Tesla, Karma or BMW has some design cues to make them unique and attractive to buyers. I was not saying that Tesla's unique design features like the Falcon wing doors are completely useless. I strongly considered buying a Model S before my Karma and dollar for dollar, I would have gotten a great deal more from the Model S than the Karma for sure. Technologically, there is no comparison, I give you that. But, the look on my daughter's face when I first took her to see the Karma and the look on every passerby or other driver's faces when they see this beast says it all. Design sometimes and (most of the time) wins over technology, i.e. form over function. My daughter said buy it on the spot. She had also seen the Tesla and knows nothing of the technological advantages versus the Karma. I had to push myself hard to buy the Karma as my heart won over my head, which as an engineer was a tough decision. I agree that if Elon Musk and Mr. Fisker had gotten together in a real way to make a car, other car manufacturers would have had to watch out. However, as you pointed out, they never would and they never will get together. I commend Tesla for all the technological advantages and advances. Truly awesome, but in the area of design and looks, that's a different story altogether. By the way, when the model X prices drop a little, I plan on getting one second hand if I like the look and the drive close-by. I have actually not seen one in Toronto yet. A little pricey for me right now lol!. So, basically we all agree in different ways.
SAAB 9-3 Aero Cabriolet
FiskerZee is offline   Reply With Quote