Karma vs Cadillac ELR - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Default Karma vs Cadillac ELR

We just purchased a 5 month old, 3000 mile Cadillac ELR as a company car this week. I though I would give some initial insights on how it measures up to the Karma.

The Good:
ELR has a much better control panel, time shift radio (my favorite), lane change warning, self parallel park, key-less entry, so much more.
The ELR seems much faster than the Karma.
The ELR has a much tighter turning radius.
6 year / 70,000 miles drive-train warranty
Hybrid/Electric Components 8 Years/100,000 Miles

The Bad:
ELR depreciated 50% 3 months vs Karma 50% in 3 years
Hard to get into the back seat of an ELR
Interior not as quiet as the Karma
Handling not as good as a Karma
Not as beautiful as a Karma.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)

You will have to pass by with the ELR when I get back into the Davie dealership
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
You will have to pass by with the ELR when I get back into the Davie dealership
Hi Adam, The car is for an employee, not giving up the Karma any time soon. If you ever are downtown, you can take it for a spin.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

There is no comparison between the ugly Cadillac and the beautiful Karma. It is like comparing a mannequin in a shop window to a runway supermodel!!!. Sorry Cadillac owners!!!.
SAAB 9-3 Aero Cabriolet
FiskerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

This topic came up when the ELR was announced.

The ELR seemed like an interesting option at first, but it just turns out to be a Volt with fancy bodywork and interior. It also did not help that the advertising campaign painted the ELR owner as a total D-Bag.

Personally, I would much rather have a Volt than an ELR. The ELR's main message seems to be "if you want to drive a Volt, but are too embarrassed to be seen in one, we have a more expensive, worse performing option just for you." Obviously, not every ELR owner is motivated by this impulse, but I have no problem driving a Volt and don't need to camouflage it out of embarrassment.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
It also did not help that the advertising campaign painted the ELR owner as a total D-Bag.
Do we really think we're in a position to throw stones? This was pretty lame too, and didn't exactly paint Karma owners in the most progressive light:

Old 10-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePalmBJ View Post
Do we really think we're in a position to throw stones? This was pretty lame too, and didn't exactly paint Karma owners in the most progressive light:

I found this advertisement very helpful as a matter of fact. I am now safe in the knowledge that were I to drop my car keys behind the back seat, I would have no trouble reaching them. Obviously the tagline "Pure Sensuality" can only be referring to the Karma.
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
...The ELR's main message seems to be "if you want to drive a Volt, but are too embarrassed to be seen in one....
Hey Fab,

A very close friend owns a Volt, it's a really nice car. The ELR is way more luxurious in every way and was a bargain at half price with almost no miles on it. Just about the same price of a Volt. And we thought our Karmas depreciate.

BTW, I was on my way to buy a Volt in 2012 when a friend turned me on to the Karma. I test drove the Karma the next day, then bought it. Don't "dis" the ELR, it really is a nice care, and it does look good, and seems to have better tech, but even with all that, I will never give up my Karma... well maybe if Karma finally comes out with the "Surf".
Old 10-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

Based on my experience (with the Karma, not women), she's not trying to find her keys, but helping somebody in the back seat get their seatbelt fastened. I seem to be the only person in my family who can successfully fasten the rear seatbelt in the car that I am always the one driving ... ?!!!
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Hey Fab,

A very close friend owns a Volt, it's a really nice car. The ELR is way more luxurious in every way and was a bargain at half price with almost no miles on it. Just about the same price of a Volt. And we thought our Karmas depreciate.
I don't have anything against the ELR per se. There is nothing unusual about a car company offering a more luxurious version of an existing model under a luxury badge. e.g. Toyota Avalon v. Lexus ES. But in most of these situations, the luxury-badged version has more power and better performance (at least available as an option) whereas the ELR has the same powerplant as the Volt and you can't get more performance, even as an option. This is borne out by some of the ELR reviews written by Volt owners.

As the reviewers pointed out, if you get an ELR at the same price as a Volt, then it would worth considering (which is what your friend did), but not at the MSRP:

Quote:
Ultimately, the ELR is a nice car and we all know electric offers a “luxury” driving experience. In 10 years, we’ll see a ton of cars with electric drive trains and they’ll all have that benefit. Today, however, there are a handful and none are as luxurious as this ride. If the acceleration were stronger, the steering feedback a bit tighter and the handling sharper, I might be inclined to streeeeeetch for one of these – but those are my priorities. Not all prospective buyers might agree. In reality, I might still be inclined if the General released ridiculous lease deals. The used car market is another option, but low production numbers will probably keep the values a bit higher than I would like.
Quote:
Bottom line, I want the ELR more than the Volt. Even with the smaller back seat, two fewer doors, and a smaller trunk space, I still want it more. But I don’t want it so badly that I’m willing to pay twice as much for it. However, when leases are finally announced, if they’re in the $750-850 range, I will indeed replace my Volt with an ELR.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote