82 MPG? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Default 82 MPG?

So, this news blip seems to be making its way around the internet: http://jalopnik.com/#!5787347/feds-estimate-fisker-karma-will-get-82-mpg

It references this: http://detnews.com/article/20110330/AUTO01/103300426/1361/GAO-criticizes-$25B-auto-loan-program

Although I can find mention anywhere where the Feds actually claim it gets 82MPG. This number is 100% arbitrary since it totally depends on how far a person needs to drive in a day. Some people with 200 mile commutes may get only 30MPG while others may get infinite MPG if they never use the generator. 82MPG is a useless number.

The number I want to know is the true MPG when the battery runs out and just the gas generator is running. I'd like to know what the car really gets when running just on gas alone since that's a useful figure to have.

-Brian
brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Default RE: 82 MPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
... This number is 100% arbitrary since it totally depends on how far a person needs to drive in a day. Some people with 200 mile commutes may get only 30MPG while others may get infinite MPG if they never use the generator. 82MPG is a useless number.
Indeed. All plug-in hybrid "single number" estimates are terrible in this same way. You need (at least) two numbers, an EV "km/kWh" and a petrol "mpg" or "liters per km", which you can put together yourself. Unfortunately, we live in a world aimed at the lowest common denominator, i.e., things need to be dumbed down just past the point of usefulness.

Quote:
The number I want to know is the true MPG when the battery runs out and just the gas generator is running. I'd like to know what the car really gets when running just on gas alone since that's a useful figure to have.
Here, the numbers we (or at least I) have are: 250 miles, and a 9.5 gallon (US gallon; 36 liter) tank. This gives a hair over 26 mpg.

Chris
ct-fiskerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

What about the AC? Is the compressor driven by an additional electric motor? If so, it seems it would negatively impact the all electric range. Does the heater require an electric element which also is a big energy sucker? I'm thinking the 50 miles on a complete charge is probably on flat roads.

BillyO
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Yeah, I think with the Tesla the A/C ended up being something like a 14% drain on the battery. Here in Texas the A/C will be on most of the year.

Although that solar roof should provide a little help with this.

-Brian
brian is offline   Reply With Quote