Karma charging on the fly - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Default Karma charging on the fly

https://youtu.be/6Ftll1EJ99g
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
LonePalmBJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Please explain.

Stealth mode, apparently new or beta CIU SW, range apparently increasing while sitting still. Does not appear to be plugged in and the ICE does not appear to be running. Cannot tell if battery capacity is increasing, or if the Guess-o-Meter is just recalibrating.
__________________
Owner: Karma EcoSport Deep Ocean/Black
LonePalmBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePalmBJ View Post
Please explain.

Stealth mode, apparently new or beta CIU SW, range apparently increasing while sitting still. Does not appear to be plugged in and the ICE does not appear to be running. Cannot tell if battery capacity is increasing, or if the Guess-o-Meter is just recalibrating.
At .23 ICE is commanded on (idle) as the energy meter jumps briefly to 14kw then settles on 8kw. The CIU SW has nothing to do with the mod it just what is on this particular vehicle. Range increases a mile every ~2 mins at 8-9kw. Have a longer video showing 3 miles in ~5 mins. If you are interested I can PM you the link.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
LonePalmBJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
At .23 ICE is commanded on (idle) as the energy meter jumps briefly to 14kw then settles on 8kw. The CIU SW has nothing to do with the mod it just what is on this particular vehicle. Range increases a mile every ~2 mins at 8-9kw. Have a longer video showing 3 miles in ~5 mins. If you are interested I can PM you the link.
Ah, this is a mod. That makes more sense. Yes, interested. Please PM me.

There's been lots of discussions about coding the car or third party mods since it was launched but this may be the first time I've ever seen evidence someone pulled it off.

BTW, I mentioned the CIU SW mostly to differentiate this car from the pre-production demo units that actually allowed the ICE to increase range when driven in Sport mode. (I know you were in Stealth but still the SW made for a nice irrefutable age indication.)

Also, curious about the Diagnostic warning at :29. It didn't lead to a MIL so unsure if it is related to the mod/ICE
__________________
Owner: Karma EcoSport Deep Ocean/Black

Last edited by LonePalmBJ; 08-01-2015 at 12:40 PM.
LonePalmBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Default

The Diagnostic Warning at :29 was low windshield washer fluid.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FiskerPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Default

This is the software that everyone has been asking for for years. The ability to charge the HV battery with the ICE as in the way the karma was first designed preproduction software. Drive the car in sport mode and watch the range climb (based on how much or little demand from driving)
__________________
EVolution Autosports
EV & Hybrid Performance
Fisker Specialists
[email protected]
FiskerPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WATTGAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Default

Is this older software that was never released? Looking at the picture of the power generation screen, the graphic of the car has an actual engine. Current software has a square block for the engine that is either white when in Stealth or orange when in Sport. Plus the wheels might be slightly different on this graphic too, but I can't tell for sure.
__________________
Karma EcoSport - Inferno-Canyon

Last edited by WATTGAS; 08-02-2015 at 12:56 PM.
WATTGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATTGAS View Post
Is this older software that was never released? Looking at the picture of the power generation screen, the graphic of the car has an actual engine. Current software has a square block for the engine that is either white when in Stealth or orange when in Sport. Plus the wheels might be slightly different on this graphic too, but I can't tell for sure.

That is just the CIU software that was on the vehicle (BL500 CIU vs 510 CIU which is probably on your vehicle) and the only reason it was captured is to show power generation at idle (8-9kw)- it has nothing to do with the mod. The solution presented in the video is actually an upgradeable plug and play hardware solution that is completely different than the previous Quantum (HCU) implementation of charging on the fly.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JCMorrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Default

On a related note ... when the engine just randomly decides to turn on (like the 2nd time you start it after you fill the tank), do you at least get battery charge benefit from it? And, is it smart enough to wait to do that until your battery isn't already at 100%?
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Early Adopter
 
Nin ja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,242
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
That is just the CIU software that was on the vehicle (BL500 CIU vs 510 CIU which is probably on your vehicle) and the only reason it was captured is to show power generation at idle (8-9kw)- it has nothing to do with the mod. The solution presented in the video is actually an upgradeable plug and play hardware solution that is completely different than the previous Quantum (HCU) implementation of charging on the fly.
is this a mod that can be done by csp ?
__________________
Karma Ecosport eclipse / dune
Nin ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charging Stations for Fisker Karma cbermudez8 Fisker Karma 1 07-19-2012 12:11 PM
Recharging on the fly via regen braking SoCalGuy Fisker Karma 8 07-02-2012 09:53 PM
Charging the Karma in a sunny day! Bandi Charging and Chargers 1 05-21-2012 11:30 AM
Charging the Karma in the centre of our nice little city... Bandi Fisker Dealers 0 05-03-2012 09:31 AM
Charging the Karma in a sunny day! Bandi Fisker Dealers 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.