Karma charging on the fly - Page 5 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #41 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Reminds me of this No Soup for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpfsGrNvnk
EV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
This is the "why" for this whole discussion that I was looking for. Because I couldn't see how it would make ANY difference in fuel economy no matter what you did -- other than to burn gas you might not have to by trying to save the Stealth miles until later. Which was all I was trying to say (long windedly, I guess) earlier.

But now that I think of it ... It does beg the question: What benefit from an overall average carbon footprint/fuel burn position did it actually create for Fisker to limit our options to just "sustaing" at 0-26 Stealth miles in the first place? The same argument that allowing the engine to recharge the battery to 100% doesn't save you any fuel, works in the other direction ... it doesn't cost you any more fuel either as long as you use the 50 Stealth miles somewhere on the trip. The only thing that "sustain only" mode does do is force you to use at least 24 miles per charge from Electricity.

So, @PowerSource could have fairly turned all my questions around on me. Why didn't Fisker allow us to keep maximum power availability when it doesn't actually burn more fuel to do it that way? (Again, so long as you use your Stealth miles somewhere on your trip)?
There has been a fair amount of discussion about this since the beginning. The first tier owners will remember that one of the reasons the car's release was delayed significantly was that Fisker submitted the cars for EPA/Cal-AQMD certification very late in the game, and because the ICE used by Fisker was already a few years old at the time, it was having trouble passing emissions standards if it was used to charge the batteries on the fly as well as power the car. In order to get past this hurdle, Fisker worked out a deal with the certifying agencies to pass the car, but only if the ICE was restricted to run in a limited range, which resulted in the compromise algorithm in the car.

At the time, Fisker was under enormous pressure to release the cars, and they did not have the luxury of appealing the findings, fighting for a new standard for Hybrid Plug-ins or to re-engineer the power system. As a result, they accepted the deal and moved on.

What @PowerSource is doing today has the benefit of several years of operational history and plenty of time to perfect the design and the engineering, plus a dedicated and talented engineer to do the actual work without investors breathing down his neck to release the features before they are ready.

As an owner and Fisker enthusiast, I am very grateful to @PowerSource for spending his own time and money coming up with significant improvements for a very very limited market of vehicles and I think his efforts, and anyone else's who wants to do this, should be applauded and supported by the Fisker community. I personally know a lot of Karma owners. Some of them would never change the stock Karma because they are happy with what they have and don't use their cars very much. Others, like myself, are eager to get improved performance and features from their cars. Regardless of where you fall on that spectrum, it is always better to have the option that not.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

^ What he said.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #44 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

I now completely agree. I appreciate everybody's efforts to educate. And, I am really sorry that this somehow turned personal. It wasn't for me up until the last moment. I just wanted to "get it". Thanks, all!
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiskerPhilly View Post
This is the software that everyone has been asking for for years. The ability to charge the HV battery with the ICE as in the way the karma was first designed preproduction software. Drive the car in sport mode and watch the range climb (based on how much or little demand from driving)
Hi Guys,
I just bought a Fisker Karma in the Netherlands, and imported it to Spain. Is this upgrade available to be installed do-it-yourself?
Best regards,
Pietpide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #46 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietpide View Post
Hi Guys,
I just bought a Fisker Karma in the Netherlands, and imported it to Spain. Is this upgrade available to be installed do-it-yourself?
Best regards,
Yes still available. Impending price increase coming in a few days.

Can be DIY if you are familiar with automotive wiring. We have had dealers in your area do the install as well. Hopefully that helps
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
Yes still available. Impending price increase coming in a few days.

Can be DIY if you are familiar with automotive wiring. We have had dealers in your area do the install as well. Hopefully that helps
Ok, great, I would appreciate if you put me in contact with somebody in my area (Spain), or, alternatively, if you can send installing instructions with the product.
Looking forward to receive pricing from you,
Best regards,
Pietpide is offline   Reply With Quote