Fisker Purchase - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Fisker Purchase

All: I am checking out listings for a Fisker -- trying to find one that is updated and has the least likelihood of having issues. I live in Chicago. There is a listing for a Silver Karma -- VIN #YH4K14AA9CA000393 -- with less than 1500 miles. Being #393 , I'm assuming this is considered an early version?

I used the VIN Lookup tool and it appears that the vehicle has had a few updates, but some are missing. Have any of the resident Karma mechanics worked on this vehicle or otherwise have information about it? Is there a mechanic local to Chicago who can perform a prepurchase inspection?

How can you determine if the vehicle is eligible for the tax credit?

Apologies for all the questions, but just trying to make an informed decision and become a proud owner.
FiskerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)

I believe the Federal Tax credit is to the original purchaser only. Assuming that with 1500 miles, and early VIN it was previously registered.

I will defer mechanical info to the forum experts.
AlJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

IF it is still on MSO (never titled/registered) it should still be eligible because it is technically still a new car regardless of miles.
sherrillt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiskerLover View Post
All: I am checking out listings for a Fisker
Hi FiskerLover,

I would be very weary of early vins. They say they have soft splines which are very expensive to fix. I would ask the dealer to warrant the splines 100% for 4 years if you are set on an early vin. Also make sure the battery was replaced by the recall.

Of course all this is mitigated by the price you may be paying. Many of us paid $120K (if I only waited a few months), if your paying in the 60s, who cares, it's a great deal!

You will love the car, I still love mine and its almost 3 years old.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default In the market

I am interested in buying a Fisker as a daily driver. I commute about 20 miles a day to and from work and do a limited amount of local driving on the weekends. Once in a while I will take one day local trips.

Can anyone and everyone who owns a Fisker give me the straight story on what kind of reliability I can expect? Please be specific about your experiences. I plan to buy a used one with less than 10K miles. I am also about 190 miles from one of the new Fisker dealers if I need service. Any info on service and maintenance would help too.

I am completely new to the brand, but I love the look of the car and I want to buy one in the next six months.

Thanks in advance for any info or stories that can help me.
hoffman2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman2121 View Post
I am interested in buying a Fisker as a daily driver. I commute about 20 miles a day to and from work and do a limited amount of local driving on the weekends. Once in a while I will take one day local trips.

Can anyone and everyone who owns a Fisker give me the straight story on what kind of reliability I can expect? Please be specific about your experiences. I plan to buy a used one with less than 10K miles. I am also about 190 miles from one of the new Fisker dealers if I need service. Any info on service and maintenance would help too.

I am completely new to the brand, but I love the look of the car and I want to buy one in the next six months.

Thanks in advance for any info or stories that can help me.
Best people to get the skinny on the Karma's by Vin is fiskerphilly, harlyguy and alexpop. There is a lot of stuff on this site you can look up by searching the site. I bought mine new on the waitlist. Unit 997, had all the service done on it and with a little over 5K miles, mine has been great so far, but i drive mine as a Sunday or good weather kind of car. Filled it up three times and still have a 1/3 of a tank. I pamper my car and enjoy the drive every time I get in it. There are plenty of members here who drive it daily and I met one owner who had over 75K miles and still going strong -- Fiskerphilly services his car. My recommendation, make sure all the factories campaigns where done. Make sure the muffler is the lastest with the welds. Make sure to check that it has the green dot on the Electric Motors or had the RDM/Traction done. and most of all, get it with the tri-tone leather -- at these prices, its a good deal. Oh two more things, if it does not have it, get the clear bra and rear wheel wells done and make sure you get a battery tender and 240 charger for it - you won't regret it. Hope this helps
Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for the feedback Nin_ja, all good stuff. I assume a VIN check will reveal if the factory campaigns were done. I will probably need to travel a good distance to purchase my Fisker so I want to do all my homework upfront. I will reach out to fiskerphilly and the others.
hoffman2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman2121 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Nin_ja, all good stuff. I assume a VIN check will reveal if the factory campaigns were done. I will probably need to travel a good distance to purchase my Fisker so I want to do all my homework upfront. I will reach out to fiskerphilly and the others.
Good luck and once you buy, make sure to register with http://www.thenewfisker.com/ -- when you get it, make sure you post the pictures ;-)
Old 06-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrillt View Post
IF it is still on MSO (never titled/registered) it should still be eligible because it is technically still a new car regardless of miles.

I was checking other vehicles that also have low mileage and have never been registered - but has been titled by a dealer. What then?? Does it qualify for the $5000 warranty allotment? What about the $7500 tax credit.

Any info would be appreciated.
ahamuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Sorry - If it was ever titled it is technically no longer a new vehicle (regardless of miles) and would not qualify for the tax credit or new car warranty. The MSO/MCO is the birth certificate from the factory and is what you hand over to the DMV to create a title and there is only one. If a dealer titled the vehicle, I can only assume they took the tax credit for themselves and placed the vehicle in service at some point as a owned unit even though it is still on their lot as an unsold/no public owner registered unit.
sherrillt is offline   Reply With Quote