Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Announcing the Baseline 520 and Baseline 530 Software Updates for our Karmas!

20K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Harleyguy 
#1 ·
The New Fisker has announced two new software updates for our Karmas: "Baseline 520" available for installation starting next month and "Baseline 530" available sometime in the fall. Both releases address a host of features, systems and improvements on our Karmas.

Learn more and join the discussion here:

http://www.thenewfisker.com/forums/owners/karma/681-baseline-520
and
http://www.thenewfisker.com/forums/owners/karma/682-baseline-530

It's been two and a half years since "510" came out, and for most of that time I assumed that was the last update I'd ever see. It's fair to say I'm pretty excited!

Brent

#3 ·
I've gotten every other release on the first day it was available. I don't see me stopping now :) I'll have a full report if and when I have the update. I'm lucky because there is a CSP participating dealer near me too.

Brent

#6 ·
Sounds like these 2 proposed enhancements in Baseline 530 will be met with cheers from the cold weather climates. Especially the first one relative to places where Karmas go into hibernation each winter:

"Currently, the 12v battery is not properly supported by the HV battery. In situations like long term storage or a degraded 12v battery, it can happen that the 12v battery runs flat as the parasitic losses even when the vehicle is turned off are still about 60 mA. This would result in a non starting vehicle. For this reason we currently advise to turn on the vehicle from time to time (please see the battery maintenance instructions on the Karma Forum) or place the 12v system on a battery tender charger. New software will allow the Auxiliary Power Module (APM) to keep the 12v battery charged by using the HV battery pack when a low 12v battery is detected. This keeps the 12v battery charged as long as there is sufficient power in the HV battery."

This one sounds nice for the cold weather folks too. Cold weather performance of the HV battery has been a standing concern of @Hockeydad:

"Currently the ability of the HV battery pack to receive power through regeneration or release power at low ambient temperatures is less than optimal. The new software will improve how the HV battery pack manages incoming and outgoing power at low ambient temperatures."

#7 ·
The New Fisker has announced two new software updates for our Karmas: ......It's been two and a half years since "510" came out, and for most of that time I assumed that was the last update I'd ever see. It's fair to say I'm pretty excited!

Brent
I thought 510 would be the last update for the existing Karma, too. Not that there are not good reasons to keep the Karma owners happy, but lets face it, numbering 2,000, we are money losers. That is a very small installed base. for a car manufacturer. Thank you TheNewFisker! I will definitely be looking at what the next model ELUX has to offer.

#9 ·
Sadly there are still few things missing from both upgrades:

Alarms
When there is low fuel in the tank, there are constant alarms blocking the speed display. On my Porsche I get one alarm notice during drive and light on the display. That is plenty.
Same goes for windshield wiper fluid alarm. Mine never lasts longer than 1 month, even when I do not use it at all - which is another puzzling issue.

Buggy bluetooth connection
Sometimes I have to re-pair my iPhone 5s to get music played and have hands-free. And sometimes music menu is totally inaccessible while driving.

Air-con
Totally unreliable - especially in the winter it is quite challenging to get heat into the cabin. Messy and confusing interface.

Display contrast, menu access
As noted in the famous Brian’s review, this needs to be fixed. Totally messed-up design - should not be hard to fix. Hard to read clock on the screen in the corner, should be much bigger.

TPMS
Better management of sensors. I have been driving with one faulty sensor forever and was told by various shops that it is impossible to reprogram or check.

Safe exit
It is impossible to open the door when the car is moving or engaged in D. However I am not sure if there is an accident that this door lock is disabled and people can get out.

Management of battery power
When the car is in sports mode and battery is charged, it is still eating up from the battery charge until 43 km range. This should not happen. For instance if you start hitting highway with fully charged battery and choose sport mode, you should be able to keep the battery charged at full level until you really need it and switch back to Stealth Mode.

#11 ·
Screen contrast and visibility of touch panel will be first priority of the CIU software but Fisker must start from ground zero with this and will take some time. They are focusing on more paramount driveability issues first.

In regards to the battery energy being consumed down to 43km or 26 miles I've explained this a dozen times, it wasn't Fiskers initial design to do that. The original design allowed for charge hold and positive charging at any range. However when the car was EPA certified the only way they could rate the car for maximum "overall" fuel economy was to meet in the middle thus the first half of the cars total range uses battery no matter what then GEN SET switches to "maintain". It's what they mathematically called a compromise on a vehicle that you truly can't apply a mileage formula to. It is purely based on operator. A crock of crap, but not Fiskers doing.

#10 ·
I haven't been this excited about my car since I purchased it!
My favorite part of the upgrade:
Vehicle Control Module (VCM)
..."Currently it takes the vehicle up to 2 minutes to fully shutdown (you can see that from the red lights in the PRDN switch). The new software will allow the vehicle to fully shutdown in 45 seconds which helps reducing false 12v ‘voltage drop’ errors. This also helps users that sometimes need to restart the vehicle when the touchscreen does not startup correctly."

#12 ·
Looks like I could be (among) the first to get the new software. I have my car in with our local CSP, and after talking over the codes it's giving with the New Fisker techs, they think he should load the new software which does a lot more "internally" that we drivers wouldn't obviously notice, but help diagnose (and fix) problems that give DTC's. I'm holding my breath about it. My car was great other than having a CEL light come on 2-3 times a week complaining of a weak cell. I'm usually not the first in line for a new cell phone or software version! :D

#15 ·
Yes. The New Karma site said June. But here is part of his email to me yesterday:

found a bunch of DTC's in your Hybrid control module that the Generic scanner you were using wasn't picking up. I am communicating with Fisker right now on those DTC's. your brake squeal is fixed.. also trying to download the Baseline software update so i can do this on your car before you pick it up. pretty much going to use you as our first client that is getting the new software. i want to hear your thoughts about it on Saturday if I can get it.

#16 ·
to be exact, what was said was:
We are currently rebuilding the ability for the local CSP providers to load new software on the vehicles. All CSP providers should be able to load Baseline 520 onto vehicle starting the middle of June.
I guess at this point Baseline 520 has passed engineering validation and they're focusing on giving all CSP providers the ability to upgrade the cars (especially the new ones like Scottsdale Vault, North Shore Chicago and Pat's Garage).
Those who already have that capability should be able to load the new software as soon as Fisker HQ makes it available.

#17 ·
Not sure how it's going. Last I heard (which was last night and no news today :s ), the Fisker Scan Tool update they gave Corey didn't work and he was working into the night last night to get his Fisker Laptop back in working order. Happily, my car isn't affected, but his ability to work on it (or install the 520 update) is.

#18 ·
Hey. Latest news on my software upgrade (if anybody's interested) ... Excerpts from Corey's emails:

I updated the battery software to the latest software. Ran the car down to zero battery life and bringing it back up. If you want to pick it up tomorrow after the event you are more then welcome.

I've updated as much as I can. The car is solid. If its ok with you. I'm going to put your car as part of the event. [He's having a Welcome Karma Owners event tomorrow night.]

#21 ·
Thanks for keeping us updated.
I'm eagerly waiting to read your feedback about the new software.

Here's a list of the most obvious changes to report on:
- shortened Hill mode activation chime (DIS update)
- reduction of the shudder felt from the tractions motors when driving at very low speeds (DCM update)
- gasoline engine now allowed to run when the HV Battery is at 95% or higher in Sport mode (HCU update)
- full shutdown in 45 seconds (VCM update)

#23 ·
@Pierre - I think this one should read:

gasoline engine not allowed to run when the HV Battery is at 95% or higher, even in Sport mode (HCU update)

I was also wondering, how this should read... But Sport without ICE doesn't make more sense to me. If you floor the accelerator, it would need only some seconds to suck 5% to reach 95% or less anyway (at least in Germany :) :) )
I don't think, that the battery would allow sport mode performance on its own....

#25 ·
Correct, this part of the software was ready back before the bankruptcy. it was known that I'd the ICE starts with high SOC then there will be a conflict with trying to charge a fully charged battery. If you switch to sport mode with a full battery, ICE will not typically come on until a mile or 2 is off the range. However, The most common occurrence of this issue is when you stop for gas on the way home and don't turn car off while filling, then park it and charge it. The next morning you try to go in stealth mode, the evap (fuel vapor system) test runs to check that the gas cap is on since you just triggered the fuel door on the last drive cycle. Now the ICE kicks on and the battery says NO WAY, I'M FULL so the ICE turns off then immediately back on and off and on a bunch of times until you use some battery by driving or turn on the heat. This an cause the dreaded misfire and reduced performance shutdown of ICE also.
betweend 520 and 530 alot of these issues are ironed out.

#27 ·
Update: Got my car back last night. Was told that I have "parts of 520", but not the whole sheebang. We actually had a dinner with some Fisker Execs last night, and they explained that nobody would get all of 520 until June. But, they were letting pieces out to troubleshoot cars currently in the shop. Unfortunately, the first time I started it, I got a CEL light. The Stealth miles were down to 9 at that time, and they dropped to 0 in minutes. Corey had not seen any codes in the 2 days since he put the updates on, but ... there they were. So, I may need a new cell after all. I did bring it home, and put it on my charger. It stayed charging for 16-17 hours, so it did a cell balance with the new software. So, I have a guttering hope that that might make it better, but I'm not betting on it. Life intervened, and I haven't driven it at all today. In my brief trip home last night, I really didn't notice much difference. If I do, notice more over the next few days, I'll share.

#28 ·
Yes, a bad module won't be disguised by software. Dont quote me on this but the new BECM strategy being proposed for 530 will help alot of unbalanced issues and likely increase the tolerance for cell deviation within the pack so it'll take a larger gross difference to throw a code. But a leaking module is still a problem and will need replacement. Those are the ones that consistently drop to 0 miles from 10 or so and light on every cycle.

#37 ·
Baseline 520 Update

HarleyGuy installed the new Baseline 520 today (no charge, same day service).

For the first time since I bought my car, I no longer have to turn off the A/C before I turn off the car to park and charge.

Also... I was able to go in an out of sport-mode. Before, once in sport-mode, you stayed in sport-mode... for a long time.

THANK YOU eLUX AND HARLEYGUY!

Today was "Black and White" Day at Fisker Miami, see pic. BTW, white Fiskers look great with white wheels!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.