Check Engine light comes on when 10 to 15 miles left. - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Check Engine light comes on when 10 to 15 miles left.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum as I just purchased a karma a few weeks ago. I love the car, but I've noticed that when the battery gets down to 10 to 15 miles left on a charge, the check engine light comes on. I had the code looked at by autozone and it came through as a P0A7B - decoded by the scanner as Battery Energy Control Module Requested MIL. With the battery still low, I had the codes cleared and the check engine light came right back on. The car works fine when it has a full charge on it in both stealth and sport modes. Before taking to the dealership, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this code before. I sure hope I'm not looking at a battery replacement. The car has only two thousand miles on it.
chrisfioretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

I have a weak cell that keeps me from getting Stealth miles 0-8 - which I'll fix someday. So, when my car tells me it detected a voltage variance issue basically once a week or when I get down below 20 Stealth Miles, I get that same code. I bought an OBDLINK device from Amazon for $69 and keep it in the OBD port (under the dash by your hood release) so I can whip my phone out and say "OK. Thanks. Now, please give me back my speedometer!!" I asked LorMax about those codes, and know that they are "livable".

I'm also hoping that the new Fisker might have some new options for us, regarding this.

Here's the link to the item I bought:

Amazon Amazon
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply, JCMorrill...

So when you get down to 0-8 Stealth miles, does your ICE automatically turn on? What was weird was that the CEL came right back on after I had the codes cleared and my CEL light went away.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ditto for me. I have one cell that isn't performing optimally. LorMax says i'll need to replace it at some point but there's no urgency. He showed me the computer readout that shows that the cell just isn't charging or performing like the rest. I sometimes get the check engine light with that POA7B code but it usually disappears.
Based on the upcoming potential news we may get in April regarding support to existing owners via the New Fisker company, it might be worth waiting to see what they unveil...
AZDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDawg View Post
Ditto for me. I have one cell that isn't performing optimally. LorMax says i'll need to replace it at some point but there's no urgency. He showed me the computer readout that shows that the cell just isn't charging or performing like the rest. I sometimes get the check engine light with that POA7B code but it usually disappears.
Based on the upcoming potential news we may get in April regarding support to existing owners via the New Fisker company, it might be worth waiting to see what they unveil...

Does the Check Engine Light go away by itself after a full charge and drive or do you have to do a hard reset on the vehicle?

Thanks for you reply...
Old 03-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have to keep clearing the codes. It's the same ones P148B and P0A7B that show up (maybe once/twice a week). But, it's 10 seconds with my phone, and I get on with life.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfioretti View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum as I just purchased a karma a few weeks ago. I love the car, but I've noticed that when the battery gets down to 10 to 15 miles left on a charge, the check engine light comes on. I had the code looked at by autozone and it came through as a P0A7B - decoded by the scanner as Battery Energy Control Module Requested MIL. With the battery still low, I had the codes cleared and the check engine light came right back on. The car works fine when it has a full charge on it in both stealth and sport modes. Before taking to the dealership, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this code before. I sure hope I'm not looking at a battery replacement. The car has only two thousand miles on it.
As mentioned most likely a bad module (I personally had a similar issue). I recommend contacting FiskerPhilly and have him do a remote diag with is new scan tool he's shipping around and he can tell you exactly which (if any) module is bad in just a few minutes.
sherrillt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)

Try this always start out in stealth mode when the battery left to zero gets around 15 left switched to ice . The battery won't drop below 15 miles when the HV battery gets low that's when the HV battery has the most stress on the modules. It's just a little pain since you have to keep an eye on the mileage .
But in the long run until,you replace the module the car will run better have less problems also as far as battery problems .
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh, wow. That's good to know. Thanks HG!!
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Some times, while driving in Sport mode when battery level is zero, my battery level still runs down very slowly causing all sorts of alarms to go off. Out of energy etc. My battery is fine. No problem with cells. It looks more like a software issue. Any one?