Any new buyers? Looking for feedback, seriously considering buying one. - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Any new buyers? Looking for feedback, seriously considering buying one.

As the subject line says, I've got my everyday car up for sale and considering purchasing a Fisker. I fell in love the first time I saw one and would really like to give it a whirl. With this said, I thought I'd reach out to new owners to see how they like the car.

I read this thread, which helped (thanks!): https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-...checklist.html.

Nevertheless I appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

Lance
racelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Be prepared for lots of people talking to you or giving you the thumbs up. You will get more looks in this car than a lambo. It is a pretty comfortable car actually. It is quite a big car, the back up camera is handy. Servicing is expensive and you will go through tires faster than a regular luxury car. It will require some patience and some learning. It is a pretty cool car, might as well buy it, money is for spending.
grundoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

Just bought mine Jan 10th. Love it so far! Be prepared to learn to live with and love its many unique quirks. It's like marrying a super model -- you'll have to learn to put up with a few things, but it's probably worth it! I took to putting the "Fisker History/Story/Specs" into a word doc that I keep a half dozen printed copies of on hand to just give to people. You will have questions, and this forum is great to get you answers. (Many of those questions have already been asked & answered -- read and read!) And, you'll get a 6-figure car for a 5-figure price.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundoon View Post
Be prepared for lots of people talking to you or giving you the thumbs up. You will get more looks in this car than a lambo. It is a pretty comfortable car actually. It is quite a big car, the back up camera is handy. Servicing is expensive and you will go through tires faster than a regular luxury car. It will require some patience and some learning. It is a pretty cool car, might as well buy it, money is for spending.
I have found the FISKER can hold it's own as an owner of both mentioned cars.
You will get plenty of looks/attention/questions about the car. I really enjoy mine, as it has the super car look and is a pleasure to drive. Great bang for the buck at current prices!

Enjoy

Last edited by EXOTIC1; 03-28-2015 at 09:50 AM.
EXOTIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. JCMorril, what type of quirks do you speak of? As many of you know it's a risk purchasing one, considering the car was really a one-year production car. I do love the looks of it and I've never owned a 'green' car before. Needless to say I'm learning quickly from this forum and the internet. Thanks again!

Lance
racelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

@racelance - I agree with the previous 2 posters that the car has quirks. I'll highlight a few minor ones that have been passed down from original owners to second owners:

1) You should not plug in the car to start charging it until the software has shutdown (which is about 2 minutes after you turn off the car).

2) You should not open the doors or trunk while it's charging or plugged into a charger as this "awakens" the car

3) When the car is in Hill mode, the front sensors don't work

4) When the car is "asleep", the light in the trunk won't illuminate. If the car is "awake", the light in the trunk works fine.

5) The bluetooth is great for streaming music from your phone. However for phone calls, the person calling you hears a strong echo. Some have found that certain phones don't have this issue.

6) If you leave the A/C turned on when you shut off the car, the engine fan may run while you charge the car.

This is an amazing car. The styling and looks are second to none, and you can literally drive a year with almost no gas usage. I purchased my Karma secondhand just over a year ago. Since that time, I've put 4500 miles on it as a "night and weekends" backup to my Volt which is my daily driver. In that time with the Karma, I have used about 30 gallons for 750 miles via 2 one-way trips from Orange County to Phoenix. The remaining 3750 miles were all electric, except for about 5 gallons of gas.

Despite all of those examples above, I still wholeheartedly recommend the Karma. Just be sure to take your time and have someone qualified mechanically to repair Fiskers involved to assess the car (in person, or remote via @FiskerPhilly and his traveling Fisker laptop). It may be worth flying someone in to look at the car as you could uncover a hidden issue that could cost thousands after you buy it. If you find a sound Karma, you can't beat the amount of car you're getting for $50K-$65K. Even getting one that knowlingly needs some repairs can still be a great buy at $45K-$50K depending on what is wrong with the car.

Good luck and definitely leverage the forum threads. There is a TON of useful information here, you just need to poke around and find it to learn from a lot of practical experiences.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Smile

1) You should not plug in the car to start charging it until the software has shutdown (which is about 2 minutes after you turn off the car).

2) You should not open the doors or trunk while it's charging or plugged into a charger as this "awakens" the car

race lance, I've had my Karma for 3 years and have not had the above "procedural" quirks.'

If you're running the A/C or its a very hot day, you may have the battery cooling fan run for about 2 minutes after parking. Let the fans stop and then you can plug it into the charger. Otherwise, if its quiet after parking, just plug it in.
If you plug into the charger while the fan is running, chances are the fans will never stop while charging.

Opening the doors or trunk while charging is not going to alter the charging process. Certainly the car "wakes up" as the courtesy lights go on and the car gets ready for you, but just close the door and it goes back to sleep.
Bert Yetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Default Any new buyers? Looking for feedback, seriously considering buying one.

Search in the form there is lot of info
The in summarize the blue tooth software they are all minor glitches blue tooth very stable compare it with my panamera ..
But the major issues are RDM ,motors soft splines and batteries modules,coupler.
Rdm rebuild cost up to 13k
Batteries each modules 5k ,,coupler 3k..
Early vin late vin no different rdm will fail at one point on 98%on the cars
I see it 5k 10k 20k 25k ,I saw it vin 16xx and low vin,,

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by smggsm; 03-29-2015 at 11:47 AM.
smggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smggsm View Post
Search in the form there is lot of info
The in summarize the blue tooth software they are all minor glitches blue tooth very stable compare it with my panamera ..
But the major issues are RDM ,motors soft splines and batteries modules,coupler.
Rdm rebuild cost up to 13k
Batteries each modules 5k ,,coupler 3k..
Early vin late vin no different rdm will fail at one point on 98%on the cars
I see it 5k 10k 20k 25k ,I saw it vin 16xx and low vin,,

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If i read this post it would scare me off as a buyer 20k in repairs? and all these issues are all common and will happen over time?
I would venture to guess most owners have spent less than 5k on repairs for their cars although i could be mistaken.

Last edited by EXOTIC1; 03-29-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would certainly talk with @Harleyguy @alexpop @FiskerPhilly
and try and get the real costs/concerns
best advise