Will a Tesla brand 80amp charger fry my Karma battery?!?!? - Page 2 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2015, 01:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenversGreenAgent View Post
Thanks for all that replied. I'm not referring to the supercharger but the Tesla HPWC referred to by Doug. I realized Thai morning when I went down to my tesla charger that I needed a male to female J1172 adapter. Anyone hear of such a thing?

Fyi I have a P85+ hence the Tesla charger
@DenversGreenAgent - you need to add your Karma to your signature, and tell us what you like about it.
EVer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Real Estate Broker/Owner

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

Unfortunately I have only driven it 78 miles in the month I have had it. The snow & ice have not allowed me to do anything but stare at her in the parking garage when I get home. Which I must say I have been enjoying! The car is from Dallas & was babied. The guy I bought it from didn't even want to drive it in the "rain" (was barely damp) when I met him. But as my luck would turn the second time I drove it I got caught in a pretty decent snow on the way home. I was shocked to see people sliding everywhere in front of me but I just went by them..?!? (Original Goodyears, even more mind boggling) Wasn't expecting that but also something I will try harder to avoid in the future. Hopefully I get more time & better weather to really get a better grasp on what she is, besides the best looking sedan in history.

2013 Tesla Model S P85+
Gray Metallic with Black Performance Leather Seats
Yes, it's absolutely amazing.. Every time

1996 Ford Bronco XLT
Black/Grey with 200k miles & still looks/drives new

1966 Ford Mustang Convertible 289
Maroon with all black interior - GT gauges & factory ac
Mostly all original - Restored by Southwest Classics in Albuquerque, NM in the 1980s by my Grandfather
Needs work but I'll always have her
DenversGreenAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlJOHN View Post
The Super Chargers are DC high current and controlled by software in the Tesla that is registered in their system. So if someone has a Model S60 (not standard with Super Charger, and S85 is standard) the Super Charger checks the cars software and will not charge an "unauthorized" car. Don't waste your time. Since the Tesla Charger can be set up the 80 amps at 220 volts, the Fisker On board AC-DC charger will not accept that power. You have to "program" the settings on the Tesla Wall charger to its amperage based on the Service installed at the wall plug and Circuit Breaker. So If you have a 30 Amp Service to the plug, there is little or no advantage to buying the Charger From Tesla (not sure they will sell it to you anyway).
As I understood the original question, the OP already owns the Tesla charger (presumably because he owns a Tesla) and wants to use the same charger for both cars rather than buying a second EVSE just for the Karma.

Quote:
I have a Tesla home charger & have been tempted to use it on my Karma to charge it. I have a plug in adapter for the tesla to use at other level 2 stations.
Quote:
Thanks for all that replied. I'm not referring to the supercharger but the Tesla HPWC referred to by Doug. I realized Thai morning when I went down to my tesla charger that I needed a male to female J1172 adapter. Anyone hear of such a thing?
@doug is our resident Tesla ambassador and should be able to give you information on this. I had a custom J1772 extension cord made for me by this company and they may be able to build you what you need from individual parts.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 03-04-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Real Estate Broker/Owner

Garage

Fab, thanks! Are you referring to campco as the business?

2013 Tesla Model S P85+

1996 Ford Bronco XLT

Mostly all original - Restored by Southwest Classics in Albuquerque, NM in the 1980s by my Grandfather
Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenversGreenAgent View Post
Fab, thanks! Are you referring to campco as the business?
I was referring to Tuscon EV. Click on the picture below for their home page. There are probably other companies that can do the same thing. I had them make an extension cord for me, and they did a nice job so I don't have a problem recommending them. You need something a bit unusual, so they will have to build it for you to your specifications. The specific adapter you want may not exist, but they may be able to put the right connectors on the ends of a short cable for you, assuming that it is safe to do so.

Another option is to check on the Tesla Motor Club site to see if anyone else has already devised a solution for the same problem. @doug is a moderator on that site and may be able to give you some pointers as well.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 03-04-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

@denvergreenagent... assuming you have the Tesla and charger, you are aware that you can set charge the watts. Recall Karma has an on-board charge systems as does the Tesla. A word of caution: Tesla will not sell HPWC to Model X reservation holders, because Model X may not be compatible with the Model S charger. You may want to consider using a J1772 charger for both the Tesla and Fisker, since Tesla already has an approved adapter.
AlJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Tesla will not sell HPWC to Model X reservation holders, because Model X may not be compatible with the Model S charger.
Al,

Do you have a source for this? It's the first I'm hearing of it and it's a bit surprising, since Telsa is spending so much money and basically 'giving away' HPWCs to "Destinations". I did a quick Google search and didn't come across anyone discussing this.

Brent
Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

Every Tesla S comes with the J1772 adapter to fit the Tesla (not the other way around-) As far as I know Tesla does not support its charger being used on any other vehicle. When I finally get my Model X, I will be able to use the Tesla Supplied adapter to charge my Tesla with my current GE J7112 charger. However, I do plan to install another 40 amp circuit in the garage for the Tesla Wall Charger.

Here is the link to Tesla's site for Charging. Some of this may change with the Model X (SUV). http://www.teslamotors.com/support/charging

Last edited by AlJOHN; 03-05-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Real Estate Broker/Owner

Garage

Quote:
When I finally get my Model X, I will be able to use the Tesla Supplied adapter to charge my Tesla with my current GE J7112 charger. However, I do plan to install another 40 amp circuit in the garage for the Tesla Wall Charger.
AlJOHN,

What's your reservation number? I'm 13,263 I think. I do have a friend in CA that has one of the prototypes next to his office. Said they have been using the HPWC that they use for other Tesla's to charge it if that helps.

As far as the issue at hand:
I have contacted all known resources to see if someone has an adapter but with no luck. I guess I'm going to put in the Clipper Creek LCS-20. Any opinions on this charging station? I don't need anything large, expensive or super powerful as this is not a daily driver by any means.

2013 Tesla Model S P85+

1996 Ford Bronco XLT

Old 03-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

DenverGreenAgent.... I am reservation 9134. Let me try again. There is NO such device from TESLA. There is an adapter for the HPWC to plug into 220 wall sockets; the is an adapter from the J7112 to fit the TESLA's plug. Tesla will not sell the current HPWC to model X reservation holders, because they are not sure the plugs will remain the same. Easiest solution seems to use your J7112 charger for your fisker to charge your TESLA. If you recall the Tesla Wall Charger history, they recalled most of the early charger due to fire threat. You are dealing with 220VAC at 80 Amps. Just my perspective, but "playing with 20 KW is some serious stuff.