V8 Powered Fisker Karma!!! - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Default V8 Powered Fisker Karma!!!

Actual pictures here: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/v...-detroit-2013/

http://www.motorward.com/2013/01/nai...-fisker-karma/

Destino is a new exotic car made by Gilbert Villereal of VL Automotive and former General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz. It is based on the Fisker Karma, and it has a brilliant idea: replace the Karma’s electric drivetrain with a V8 engine from the Corvette ZR1!

It is not a tuner’s nonsense, either. They are planning to produce this car in the second quarter of 2013, and are already testing prototypes. With Destino you get the amazing look of the Karma, but none of its electric system’s drawbacks. For one thing, it won’t be catching fire very often!

The performance of that ZR1 engine is the cherry for the top of Destino’s cake. The 6.2 liter supercharged V8 delivers 640 horsepower and over 800 Nm of torque. Later on they reckon they can offer the car with the newer LT1 engine out of the new Corvette C7.

Of course they can’t just put the engine inside the Karma’s bonnet and let it loose. There is a lot of testing and re-engineering they have to go through, and after that there’s the certification and validation. So, second quarter of 2013 sounds a bit optimistic.

Last edited by SoCalGuy; 01-14-2013 at 10:35 AM.
SoCalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage

More details: http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/01/14/o...stino-edition/

- VL will be buying bodies from Fisker
- Price will be $180K
- New "Destino Edition" with the V8 will be 1,320 lbs lighter (~4,000 lbs)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Interesting that it nixes the main controversial bit of the Karma styling, that front grill. Probably regains a significant about of trunk space by eliminating those inverters. Even gets rid of that mostly useless solar roof. Battery spine space can be repurposed as the more typical transmission tunnel, though it will probably remain larger than it needs, unless they change the stampings. I think that's ok though. The cockpit feel is one of the things I like about the Karma.

I'm not sure how many of these would sell but it would give Fisker something to do their overcapacity. Perhaps a use for those 300+ water damaged, yet intact Karmas from Superstorm Sandy.

Last edited by doug; 01-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I really like this updated styling (front). I wonder if these bumpers can be swapped without much modification. It looks like they are retaining the infamous command center which seems a bit odd.

The Karma has become the reverse Tesla Roadster, pretty ironic!
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

IMO it's more ironic the coach builder has been coach built.
AnOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
IMO it's more ironic the coach builder has been coach built.
yea that too.. I like this setup a lot. Now lets see what other improvements they make i.e. command center. 180k is a bit steep but if you compare it to other cars in this price range its really a lot of value for the money. I'll take this over an Aston or a FF. Heck put this setup in a Surf or the Sunset.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Interesting that it nixes the main controversial bit of the Karma styling, that front grill. Probably regains a significant about of trunk space by eliminating those inverters. Even gets rid of that mostly useless solar roof. Battery spine space can be repurposed as the more typical transmission tunnel, though it will probably remain larger than it needs, unless they change the stampings. I think that's ok though. The cockpit feel is one of the things I like about the Karma.

I'm not sure how many of these would sell but it would give Fisker something to do their overcapacity. Perhaps a use for those 300+ water damaged, yet intact Karmas from Superstorm Sandy.
I do hope Fisker doesn't take this road. It would make all the talk about ecochic pretty hollow and meaningless.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Not something I would buy, but there are a number of cars that are available in both ICE and Hybrid configurations, so I don't see a problem with the option being available.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I do hope Fisker doesn't take this road. It would make all the talk about ecochic pretty hollow and meaningless.
I thought 20mpg did that. <Zing!>

Seriously, though, if Fisker can sell some shells and stay in business longer to sell more PHEVs, then more power to them. This Destino is a separate brand.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

More information from wired including the first sales!

The first two Destinos have been completed and sold, although the Auburn Hills, MI-based company still intends to take a knife to the interior. Twenty more are on order from Fisker, with Villareal saying there’s plenty of interest both from U.S. and Middle Eastern buyers.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/01/vlp-destino/