Range Extender = avg MPG Destroyer - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Default Range Extender = avg MPG Destroyer

The second day I had my Karma, I ended up running it in Sport Mode for an entire afternoon, starting out our relationship with a disappointingly low average MPG.

After that, I worked hard to keep the battery charged and use Stealth Mode pretty much exclusively. I watched as the average MPG slowly, slowly climbed each time I drove the car. As of yesterday afternoon, I had logged 1312 miles on my Karma with an average MPG of 193. I was pretty pleased with the progress.

Then last night, 3 friends and I set out in the Karma for a concert. We were going to be driving about 150 miles round trip, so I didn't even bother trying to use Stealth Mode. I put the Karma in Sport Mode and drove at highway speeds, 60-80 MPH, pretty much the entire way.

By the end of the evening, I had logged approximately 140 miles in Sport Mode...and now have a comparatively dismal 119 MPG.

UGH!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Weird Fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fishes View Post
The second day I had my Karma, I ended up running it in Sport Mode for an entire afternoon, starting out our relationship with a disappointingly low average MPG.

After that, I worked hard to keep the battery charged and use Stealth Mode pretty much exclusively. I watched as the average MPG slowly, slowly climbed each time I drove the car. As of yesterday afternoon, I had logged 1312 miles on my Karma with an average MPG of 193. I was pretty pleased with the progress.

Then last night, 3 friends and I set out in the Karma for a concert. We were going to be driving about 150 miles round trip, so I didn't even bother trying to use Stealth Mode. I put the Karma in Sport Mode and drove at highway speeds, 60-80 MPH, pretty much the entire way.

By the end of the evening, I had logged approximately 140 miles in Sport Mode...and now have a comparatively dismal 119 MPG.

UGH!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Yes, of course. With the gasoline motor running you're lucky to get 25 mpg. Average 200 mpg with 20 mpg and you yank that 200 down real quick. That's why my overall average is only in the low 40s.
ct-fiskerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

You should have ran in stealth mode as long as you could unless you needed to exceed 125 mph.This would have given you ~40 miles on electric and 110 miles on gas which would give you better overall mileage.
Owner Karma #49 SE,
2013 Chevy Volt
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
ejo3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejo3rd View Post
You should have ran in stealth mode as long as you could unless you needed to exceed 125 mph.This would have given you ~40 miles on electric and 110 miles on gas which would give you better overall mileage.
In hindsight, that would have been the way to do it. I wasn't really thinking. Grrrrrrrrr!
Weird Fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

Btw there's a bug in the mpg software. If you are in stealth and fully deplete the battery, once the range extender kicks in it no longer factors that into your MPG calc. In range extended stealth, for a good few miles until I got home, it said 409 MPG even though I probably used half a gallon of gas!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
rex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Weighted averages aren't part of what our brains do easily. The mpg spreadsheet Brent put up is great way to track overall mpg. With a slight tweak of plugging in mpg, and you can also see the percent of miles driven with electricity, and what percent if from gas. For me 22mpg is what I get in ER because I was going 75-80mpg. If you go around 60mpg, you can get about 26mpg... (See post on the speed and mpg curve for the fisker).
rex is offline   Reply With Quote