Article... - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Article...

Articles like this are littering all of the financial web sites this morning...

Karma slammed by Consumer Reports...

I really want something positive to come from the Karma. Hopefully, things (including their image) can get turned around...
metalica23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Default RE: Article...

I've never bought so much as a blender based on a Consumer Reports review, and I'm certainly not going to let their opinion affect a purchase of something so personal as my car.
Weird Fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fishes
I've never bought so much as a blender based on a Consumer Reports review, and I'm certainly not going to let their opinion affect a purchase of something so personal as my car.
That's fine. I'm guessing you (as like myself) have a much more intimate relationship with our cars. A majority of folks don't have that same personal connection...even at this price point. So, while they are certainly not the automotive be all end all, many people will read into (and many people will SEE) their research. In the end, it's not their "opinion" that matters so much as the experience (i.e., problems in this case) they relate.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Its funny how if you google
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=consumer+reports+lowest+rating

Fisker Karma article is one that comes up to the top.. although in reading the article.. 24 Vehicles rated lower!

Why is Fisker being targeted in the media? probably due to the fact that fisker corporate was trying to defend the car by criticizing consumer reports...
obviously pissing CR off!

MyColorIsGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

It would have been nice to get a good review from CR, but realistically, this is not the kind of car that is sold on the strength of a CR review, or as Fisker PR said, this is not a minivan. Even if I had read all the negative reviews, I would have still bought the Fisker. The obscene complexity of the drive system and the fact that it is pushing a lot of different technologies to edge of what is possible is what I find attractive in a Karma. If I wanted bland reliability, I would buy a Honda Civic.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalica23
That's fine. I'm guessing you (as like myself) have a much more intimate relationship with our cars. A majority of folks don't have that same personal connection...even at this price point. So, while they are certainly not the automotive be all end all, many people will read into (and many people will SEE) their research. In the end, it's not their "opinion" that matters so much as the experience (i.e., problems in this case) they relate.

[/quote]

I understand your point and don't necessarily disagree. But to take it a little further, I don't think the Consumer Reports audience is made up of many people who would be seriously considering a Karma anyway. And for those of us who have bought, or are considered purchasing, a Karma, other factors--such as the newness of the technology, the green factor, the beauty of the car, the exclusivity--will far outweigh anything Consumer Reports has to write.

To put it another way, going to Consumer Reports to make a decision about whether or not you should buy a Karma is sort of like going to your accountant for an opinion of who you should choose as your mistress (or mister, as the case may be).
Weird Fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I have a rule of thumb about using CR guides: use them when you don't care about the product you are buying. If you just want an appliance and they do function and reliability tests (especially statistically significant tests, which are hard) that's fine.

If you're buying something you work with every day and read CR's reviews, you'll see how they miss important things. In my case, my main field is computing, and CR's reviews are for "granny using computer for recipes and email with the kids" and completely miss what I care about. The computers they wind up recommending, I wouldn't touch with a ten foot keyboard cable.
ct-fiskerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

you still use keyboard cables for measurement?

haha.. I have how tied all my 1m ipod 30pin connector cables together so I have pretty quick and accurate measuring..

Sent using my iPhone 5 with its new lightning connector
MyColorIsGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fishes
I understand your point and don't necessarily disagree. But to take it a little further, I don't think the Consumer Reports audience is made up of many people who would be seriously considering a Karma anyway. And for those of us who have bought, or are considered purchasing, a Karma, other factors--such as the newness of the technology, the green factor, the beauty of the car, the exclusivity--will far outweigh anything Consumer Reports has to write.

To put it another way, going to Consumer Reports to make a decision about whether or not you should buy a Karma is sort of like going to your accountant for an opinion of who you should choose as your mistress (or mister, as the case may be).
Here's the problem, while "Consumer Reports" doesn't likely distribute to the people who are interested in the Karma, they were still exposed to it in the same fashion I was...CNBC, CNN, etc. I was looking up some financial news and the article hit me in the face.

I wonder if Fisker regrets trying to rush to get the car out the door sometimes. They always pat themselves on the back for getting the car from concept to showrooms so quickly, but at what cost? I was on board with being an early adopter and they had my deposit for 2 years. I saw the car, I loved the car, I wanted the car. But, then the delays, the lack of information (I was constantly telling my dealer things that they didn't know, because Fisker didn't communicate with them), and then finally reading all the problems here, just shut me off. I went to the dealer next door and got a GranTurismo. I consider myself not the same as others. I thought it was cool that the car was green, but it was not my sole reason for buying it. I liked the look, and the performance, etc. The problems just ruined the honeymoon phase for me and I ended up turning to something I was more confident in.

I really hope this turns out well. I still love the look and concept of this car. I want it to improve so that down the road it's around for me to take another shot at buying one! (Hopefully, a faster and more reliable version!)

Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

My Karma couldn't be more reliable. I have over 6K miles on it and it has never left me stranded or anything close to it. I have never worried about taking it anywhere. It's my daily driver and I get over 240mpg. I don't get the critics. What exactly is it I'm supposed to be unhappy with?
Sigurd is offline   Reply With Quote