karma owners warranty customer support program - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Default karma owners warranty customer support program

I posted this as a reply in another thread but I felt it best to be in a seperate thread to be easier to access.

Heres a breakdown of how the program applies to each owner.

1) All karma owners get $2000 parts and labor (any combination)

2) Original owners who didnt file as a claimant get base $2000 plus $3000 in parts and $2000 addl labor ($1500 FA/$500 dealer responsible) totalling $7000

3) Claimants who filed get base $2000 plus addl $5000 parts and $3000 labor ($2000 FA/$1000 dealer responsible)totaling $10000.

As far as the parts I can confirm they are being sold below our cost so the dollars coming off of your limits are lowest cost. However shipping costs are also deducted from total dollars.
parts being used are new stock and latest supply that was present in PDC warehouse at time of bankruptcy. So traction motors would be latest design with hard splines.

Now the big question...the hv battery.
Don't shoot the messenger here but hv battery repairs such as those performed by Adam and I are not covered. Mainly as these internal repairs were never an authorized repair. The official repair was to replace the battery. And as I'm told FA has no replacement batteries or components to repair internally. Also the cost of a new battery pack would be double to triple the warranty amounts denoted to original owners or claimants.
We're at the mercy of the parts supply. So battery repairs are one piece at a time from what parts guys like Adam and I have and believe me when I say Adam and I (mainly Adam) are kicking and screaming at them to get us more hv battery equipment and parts supply. Thats all at the mercy of A123 who has been silent thus far.

As I said in the other post, we dealers are not able to profit on the parts and are only being reimbursed labor at warranty rate for replacement of part. Diagnosis is not being paid as part of labor. With that said you will be responsible for our time to diagnose a problem, and in some cases a difference in parts price if we need to use a part we had in stock at old pricing.

The dealers that are truly participating in this are therefore committed to you owners as this is certainly not profitable for us, in fact we need to commit to eat $1000-$2000 in labor on many of these cars. Thus the list of dealers that did not sign up.
My reason for explaining this is that we hope your continued loyalty to the car will become a continued loyalty to the servicing dealer that stayed onboard when/if a new karma is on the market.

Cheers
FiskerPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

@FiskerPhilly, thank you very much for the clear and concise explanation of the new warranty program. It's certainly a lot more clear than anything Fisker++ has told us and it is definitely a (small) step in the right direction by Fisker.

I have been very grateful for my former dealer (Fisker Marin) continuing to support my car and providing excellent service, even under difficult circumstances during the BK process, and I have had no qualms about paying them for their time and skill. It is really amazing to see the work of folks like yourself, @Harleyguy, and @Lormax who are driven by passion and interest, and desire to help us, the owners.

I can only hope that this just the start, and in the full richness of time, Fisker will become a fully operational and world class auto company it has always deserved to be.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage

Thanks for creating a much-needed standalone thread on this subject and filling it with so much useful information!

The breakdown is complicated for sure - there may even be a 4th distinction between original-owner-claimant and subsequent-owner-claimant, but maybe all claimants were original owners. I'll go with your summary.

I'm surprised the HV-battery is such a sticking point: it is the one part that Wx, as owner of A123, should theoretically have the MOST control over. The seats, panels, etc. all came from 3rd-parties, but the batteries are in-house. It would be a comfort to know that Wx/A123 are still in the business of making a HV that fits the Karma, not only for those with a current problem, but for ALL owners who will eventually need one, and would like to see ongoing R&D in developing a better one (faster charging, longer range, etc.).

When the contest was between Richard Li and Wx, I thought the one thing that distinguished Wx specifically was having A123 in its portfolio, and now it turns out to be the exact opposite to what I'd anticipated.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Agreed and thats not to say the hv battery development isnt ongoing. Its just been radio silence from 123.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Just because both Fisker and A123 are owned by Wanxiang, it does not mean that they are under the same management or are coordinating their product development. A123 itself just came out of BK and needs to get itself back to operation and profitability. I don't think that Fisker is their most valuable client at this particular moment.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)

I'm running out of email address asking for test equipment to help myself and Joe diagnosis battery problems a lot safer and faster . I was offered this test piece when A123 first closed the cost was $4000.00 with no training I declined the sale due to the fact at the time we had no idea of the future of Fisker .

I almost know for a fact A123 has four of these tester I know this because to this day I keep in contact with an EX A123 engineer . To be honest if I don't get some sort of way of testing the HV batteries I might just stop repairing them . The time spent to try and fix these batteries out ways the return . Charging problems are pretty straight forward but battery modules aren't batteries needing more then one module gets very complicated .
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Note also that there are monetary limits to the total claims paid (I'm not sure the exact amounts) but eact tier has total limits that come up short if you multiply the amount of cars by the amount allowed, it exceeds those limits. It does state these funds once used up, the program ends. If I remember the 2000 per car limited to 400000 so theoretically not enough for every VIN. Not sure of the original owners limits or the 143 claimants.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

fiskerphilly thank you for explaining the warranty,

If 140 original owner and each have 10k each
that's 1.4 mil way over 400k
smggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiskerPhilly View Post
As far as the parts I can confirm they are being sold below our cost so the dollars coming off of your limits are lowest cost. However shipping costs are also deducted from total dollars.
parts being used are new stock and latest supply that was present in PDC warehouse at time of bankruptcy. So traction motors would be latest design with hard splines.

Cheers
can you share with us how much our cost for traction motor, RDM, transmission ?
smggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smggsm View Post
fiskerphilly thank you for explaining the warranty,

If 140 original owner and each have 10k each
that's 1.4 mil way over 400k
No the 400k limit was for the base $2000 warranty for all cars. There are different limits for the other tiers.