Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Karma - Features We Want as Requested by Fisker Engineers

49K views 155 replies 62 participants last post by  Nin ja 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was thinking that we should have a sticky thread at the top where we could post what features we'd like to see added/edited/removed from our Karmas. We know that Fisker reads the forum, so here's an easy way to let them know what else we'd like to see.

I'll start...

Recharging the battery on the fly - Just like the roadshow cars, I want the ability when I'm driving at highway speed to have the ICE charge the battery. This was a feature we saw in use during the roadshow, so we know it can be done. It's great if you're driving from San Diego to LA with 0 miles battery range to arrive in LA with a fully charged battery. It would also allow the ICE to operate more efficiently instead of revving up/down to accomodate dynamic power needs.

Sport lock of Stealth - It used to be that when you click it into Sport, it would hold whatever battery range you had at the time you entered Sport - e.g. if you click into Sport with 42 miles of battery range left, it would hold that range constant throughout your drive. Now, for some reason, it only does that if you're under 26 miles of battery range. I want to be able to customize this or at least have it worked like it used to.

Better accel to 60 and mid-speed - We know the Karma can accelerate faster - the math shows it to be the case and the engineers have indicated that they've gotten the Karma to 60mph in the "4 second" range with the test mules/demo cars before, with different software. The A123 batteries were designed for high power output, so give us at least the choice of whether we want to preserve range or run the car for performance.

Faster responding command center - So now we finally know its a hardware issue - surely if its a computing power item, they can swap out the CPUs, no? Might as well do it now when there are relatively few cars on the road then later!

Decent navigation - I know some of us don't mind the archaic navigation software on the Karma, but I find it unusable. Give us at least a system as good as the free app Waze on the iphone or (ideally) the Volt's navigation software. Maybe use some of the space on the dashboard for upcoming turn graphics or instructions!

That's it for now... more to come (I'm sure) later!

See less See more
#2 ·
Karma - Features We Want

Yes! SoCalGuy!

Fisker, please give us separate volume control per input Chanel:
- radio
- BT
- phone
- navigation
- and the collection of beeps

Don't mute the music got PDC sound and limit it only slightly for navigation

Remote start, so that at least ACC starts to be activated after unlocking the doors

that's my input for now... I'm waiting what' improved in 6.28

Stefan

#3 ·
RE: Karma - Features We Want

As I've stated before, I would like the ability to set the start time for charging in order to take advantage of the TOU power schedule. Most other EV's have this feature including the Volt.

#4 ·

Sport lock of Stealth - It used to be that when you click it into Sport, it would hold whatever battery range you had at the time you entered Sport - e.g. if you click into Sport with 42 miles of battery range left, it would hold that range constant throughout your drive. Now, for some reason, it only does that if you're under 26 miles of battery range. I want to be able to customize this or at least have it worked like it used to.
This needs to selectable since there are times when you would want to combine the power from the battery and the genset for the full 400HP output. This is probably the thinking behind the current 26 Mile compromise.

My additions to the list:

Mirror Dip: Whenever the car is put in Reverse, the passenger side wing mirror should dip down automatically to let you see the curb while you are parking the car. This is a pretty common features on luxury cars these days and helps protect those beautiful rims from getting scraped on the curb.

Nav display on the dash: Disply the turn-by-turn directions on one of the circular displays on the dash, instead of the command console, similar to how Porsche allows the driver to do this.

Diagnostics and Infomatics: Provide screens that display detailed performance and power usage information over time as well as diagnostic information even though there is no error.

Traffic Information: Enable the existing traffic system to work in the US.

#5 ·

Another to add to the list:

WiFi and Internet Connectivity
This would bring several features to the party: The ability to remotely monitor/unlock/start/precondition the car by mobile app; the ability to play Internet radio/video, the ability to automatically update the maps in the Nav system, as well as overlay traffic and/or weather data, the ability for driver and passenger to access the Internet over the car's shared network, and potentially the ability to self-serve or automatically receive certain updates and bug fixes from Fisker without having to always visit the dealership.

#6 ·

LonePalmBJ said:
Another to add to the list:

WiFi and Internet Connectivity
This would bring several features to the party: The ability to remotely monitor/unlock/start/precondition the car by mobile app; the ability to play Internet radio/video, the ability to automatically update the maps in the Nav system, as well as overlay traffic and/or weather data, the ability for driver and passenger to access the Internet over the car's shared network, and potentially the ability to self-serve or automatically receive certain updates and bug fixes from Fisker without having to always visit the dealership.
Some of these features are already built into the car, for example the traffic reporting system, which surprisingly for a "world-spec car" , does not work outside Europe. That one just needs to be enabled.

You can currently stream Internet radio via BT through your smartphone but it would definitely be more convenient to have that built into the car.

#8 ·

ct-fiskerbuzz said:
LonePalmBJ said:
WiFi and Internet Connectivity ...
This would be good, but also has security implications. Pretty much everything else is "mere" software (except for the faster CPU).
CT & Fab,

I agree; these aren't definitive specs. WiFi/Internet would be a useful in a number of ways if implemented correctly. I'm aware that there are implications, considerations and workarounds for this as there are for all of the suggestions here. My assumption was that the purpose of this thread was to identify desireable features and enhancements, not to deep dive into details or alternatives. I would hope that Fisker doesn't read one line as a detailed requirements explanation :)

#9 ·

I would like to have a readable clock on the primary instrument display. Now that the analogue clock is removed in the stealth mode (that couldn't be read either)

1 would also like to 2 enhancements...Both require hardware changes not software changes so probably for a new version of the Karma

1. Keyless entry and trunk opening

2. The controls on the steering wheel should be illuminated

I also agree that the Nav system is primitive

Buck

#10 ·

I agree with all the rest and thanks for starting this thread. I've been thinking we should do this.

I would also like to add a front facing camera as an option whose image would show when the front facing parking sensors were signaled.

I would also like, as has been stated in other posts, to choose the dash info colors, contrast, and the clock/speedo.

More info on the ICE during operation would be great like rpm, oil pressure, temp, remember we're gear heads.

I would also like to know the amount of hours on the ICE.

The navigation should be enabled to take up the entire screen.

And Fisker: we need a decent travel coffee mug that fits in the holders. A Fisker brand mug would be grand!

IMHO :)

#11 ·

LonePalmBJ said:
ct-fiskerbuzz said:
LonePalmBJ said:
WiFi and Internet Connectivity ...
This would be good, but also has security implications. Pretty much everything else is "mere" software (except for the faster CPU).
CT & Fab,

I agree; these aren't definitive specs. WiFi/Internet would be a useful in a number of ways if implemented correctly. I'm aware that there are implications, considerations and workarounds for this as there are for all of the suggestions here. My assumption was that the purpose of this thread was to identify desireable features and enhancements, not to deep dive into details or alternatives. I would hope that Fisker doesn't read one line as a detailed requirements explanation :)
Right. My only point was that some of these features (e.g., traffic) are partly implemented already and just need to be upgraded to fully implemented. Completely agree that there are lot of details that have to be specified before any of these suggestions can start to be implemented. That, of course' is no reason to stop making suggestions here, at any level of detail.

#12 ·

I would also like to see the analog speedometer to have the indicator bar increase under the speed numbers like they have done for the power meter. This would make reading the speed a lot easier. It would also be nice if we could select between a digital clock as suggested and the digital speed in the center console for either sport or stealth mode.

A more major change would be to have electronically hight adjustable front shocks so we increase the nose hight 2-4 inches to clear speed humps and parcade entrances.

#14 ·

- Fix all Bluetooth audio control bugs

- Option to auto-mirror dip when in reverse, as previously suggested

- Independent control of nav vs. music volume

- WORKING SOLAR SCREEN! :)

- Working remote cabin pre-conditioning

- Better use of the solar panel-- have it provide some wattage to the USB ports and the 12 V adapter in the sun at the very least!

- Save complete settings suite (mirror position, radio stations, seat position, interior settings) by user name or number

- Rear-facing video screens for the back seats would be nice

- Removable air bag warning stickers :)

- Use main battery and gas engine as a generator for power outage emergencies (would save people ~$2-5k for a comparable wattage gas generator!)-- provide a female AC plug powered by the ICE and/or HV battery (converted to AC of course).

#15 ·

Allow customization of battery-size

If Fisker can (from a design, safety, and production-efficiency point of view) offer battery-size customization, then this would allow each Fisker owner to buy only as much battery as needed to cover most of the daily commute. Example: If your workplace is 10 miles away from home (no recharging of battery at work possible), then a 15 kWh battery is sufficient. However, if you changed your workplace that is now 30 miles away from home (no recharging of battery at work possible), then the Fisker car owner could install additional battery capacity to achieve in total 35 kWh. I would be a buyer of such a concept.

Battery of Fisker becomes independent power source

Another idea which could be very appealing for Fisker car owners is to prepare the battery in such a way that the Fisker car owner could connect the car battery to the main power supply of his / her house to power the entire house (or any external appliances for work or home use: home improvement tools, barbeque grills, lights, camping, etc..endless opportunities.), if needed. This wld also require that an empty battery can be fully recharged via the cars engine. I would be a buyer of such a concept.

#17 ·

Some great ideas here! My adds:

1. Rear camera alignment lines, so I know where the rear wheels are aligning to aid in backing up into tight parking spaces.
2. No beep when switching to hill modes, and ability to paddle up and down between hill 1 & 2.

#18 ·

The passenger side airbag should be automatically disabled when a child is in the front side. My Mercedes and BMW both do this (sometimes I have to put my 9 year old in the front seat)...
I believe that there is a sensor in the front seat of my other cars and when the weight is less 70 pounds a light comes on saying that the passenger airbag is disabled.

#19 ·

Fab/Wimb, can you make this a sticky thread that always appears at the top of the Fisker Karma forum page. Thanks

#20 ·

- Back-lighting for the buttons on the steering wheel
- Larger cup holders
- Each car should automatically be covered from head to toe in 3M or Xpel products
- A glove box that does not require the car be "on" in order for it to be opened
- Tires that last more than a few thousand miles
- Customizable sounds for the outside speakers

#22 ·

I second the *urgent* need for more storage space in the cabin. Get rid of the (unnecessarily?) high "window to the soul" cover in the center front and rear and replace with a simple tray. Larger cupholders.

The tray can be clear if the designers wish to preserve our view of the car's soul, which as far as I can tell looks like a piece of black plastic.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the passenger front air bag doesn't disable when a child is sitting there. Is that correct? I thought such a feature was standard now in virtually all cars, and perhaps even mandated. Even my 10-year-old Toyota does this!

#23 ·

drliu said:
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the passenger front air bag doesn't disable when a child is sitting there. Is that correct? I thought such a feature was standard now in virtually all cars, and perhaps even mandated. Even my 10-year-old Toyota does this!
This is absoltely true and spelled out clearly (and frequently) in the owner's manual. It might even be on one of the impossible-to-remove visor stickers, but I don't know because like most people I suspect I've never read them.

It's not a matter of technology; the sensing and disabiling tech has been around for a very long time and is available in even the most low-end of cars. I'm sure there's a reason Fisker didn't include it in the Karma but I have no idea what it is (and I'll refrain from rank speculation)

#24 ·

LonePalmBJ said:
drliu said:
This is absoltely true and spelled out clearly (and frequently) in the owner's manual. It might even be on one of the impossible-to-remove visor stickers, but I don't know because like most people I suspect I've never read them.

It's not a matter of technology; the sensing and disabiling tech has been around for a very long time and is available in even the most low-end of cars. I'm sure there's a reason Fisker didn't include it in the Karma but I have no idea what it is (and I'll refrain from rank speculation)
I'm not sure the passenger seat has a sensor as the seat belt warning for that seat doesn't work either. Very strange for this day and age.

#25 ·

Here is a couple more related to more info around electric and fuel consumption...

1. More info on the energy screen. I think i am at about 85% on electric for my miles driven, based on my own calculations, but it would be great to have the car do the calculation. A bar below the mpg showing the percent of electric miles vs. ice would be great. (our mileage is mostly a weighted average of electric miles and ice mileage). Maybe white for the electric miles and orange for the ice. It would also be cool to have a karma vs. (enter your old make and model and it pulls in Gas mileage and emissions) and have it compare carbon footprint, emissions... That would be a fun one to show my friends and might convince a few to make make the switch.

2. A smarter calculation of electric range. Rather than resetting the calculation each charge, keep a running calculation. I know I don't get 50 range, so Rather than misleading me, and shifting to 49 before I am out of my driveway, calculate it over my entire trip a or b entry until I reset the trip.

3. Why Fisker is at it, some tasteful badging that says "electic" because EvEr is too unknown, and I would others who see the car to realize the electric credentials. It could be replacing the silver speaker covers that say hybrid with "electric" and making it stand out a little more.

#26 ·

I'm not above rank speculation ;)

I speculate that Fisker reasoned that younger kids should sit in the back seats anyway, which are both generously sized, at least for kids, and a signature of this car compared with virtually all other exotics (based on its looks, rarity, and price I think we can safely put the Karma in that category).

Still, it would have been nicer to have put in the weight sensor and airbag disabler. Now it's fodder for the "even my Yugo has that, and it costs 6 times less than the Karma!" chuckle.

LonePalmBJ said:
drliu said:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.