> 1:1 driven:battery miles! - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Default > 1:1 driven:battery miles!

I've noticed over the past week that my electric mileage has been getting better and better. I drive the same commute every day, which is exactly 12.0 miles going and 11.9 miles returning. For the first 900 or so miles of this commute, when I return home my battery miles remaining have been consistently 20, meaning I expended 30 miles of battery range to drive 24 miles. Over the past 5 or so commutes, however, my mileage has been getting better and better. This improvement is not only evidenced by returning home with up to 24 miles of battery range left, but also by the fact that my charger is requiring only 10.2 KWh instead of 11.8 KWh to recharge the battery.

Today, a new milestone: my 12.0-mile inbound commute consumed only 11 miles of battery range, leaving me with 39 miles of battery range remaining

I should note that my commute includes 4.0 miles of highway driving at > 65 mph.

What's causing the improvement? In order of my estimated likelihood:

- The weather has been cooler and this morning for the first time in recent memory the outside temperature never exceeded my cabin setting (73 deg F), so the A/C compressor remained off.

- My driving techniques to maximize range are steadily improving. I never use hill mode and generally minimize the use of the accelerator and brake.

- The ambient temperature (about 72-83 deg F) may be in the battery's sweet spot for optimal performance.

- As the battery "breaks in", it is accepting more charge. This seemingly unlikely hypothesis is supported by the fact that when I completely drain the battery, I now get more charge than I used to (now > 21 KWh; used to be about 19.5 KWh).

- Henrik Fisker is personally flying out to every Karma and charging our batteries while we are at work to increase the apparent range of his masterpiece.
drliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Default RE: > 1:1 driven:battery miles!

That's great to hear! Wonder what the actual engineering reason might be... But I'm guessing it has most to do with ambient temperature and your driving style.
SoCalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Actually, your good Karma must have brought extra energy to charge your car while you drive :-)
Karma 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I noticed that my most recent drive over the weekend - 32 actual miles, left us with 17 miles on the battery when we arrived home. I was impressed how much battery life was left. Temperature was hot at about 85 degrees on average, but I followed the advice of some of the Fiskerbuzz members and did my best to keep the gen/accelerate needle in the middle.
Deep Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
rex

I just want to confirm a few things with you folks, as I would love to get a little more range as I come back from my dealer with my 6.28 installation tonight:

Are you eschewing Hill mode entirely? Only using it as part of a stopping sequence (similar to a downshift, then going back in to D after you stopped), or leaving it H1?

I am really trying to get my head around why the regeneration of Hill mode, if used only as part of a breaking sequence wouldn't be a net benefit. (maybe it creates more resistance during the acceleration/maintenance throttle?

Thanks for your help. If I can get just 5 more miles of range, I can get home entirely in stealth. And, Friday I am going to the America's Cup in SF, and will have to burn fuel to get there, and i'd like to use as much electric range as possible.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex
I just want to confirm a few things with you folks, as I would love to get a little more range as I come back from my dealer with my 6.28 installation tonight:

Are you eschewing Hill mode entirely? Only using it as part of a stopping sequence (similar to a downshift, then going back in to D after you stopped), or leaving it H1?

I am really trying to get my head around why the regeneration of Hill mode, if used only as part of a breaking sequence wouldn't be a net benefit. (maybe it creates more resistance during the acceleration/maintenance throttle?

Thanks for your help. If I can get just 5 more miles of range, I can get home entirely in stealth. And, Friday I am going to the America's Cup in SF, and will have to burn fuel to get there, and i'd like to use as much electric range as possible.
Nice use of the word eschewing!

Weird Fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex

And, Friday I am going to the America's Cup in SF, and will have to burn fuel to get there, and i'd like to use as much electric range as possible.
In the spirit of the Americas Cup, you may try attaching a spinnaker to the front of the car for the drive.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If you are skilled at regulating your braking and accelerating, I believe it's better to NEVER use Hill mode. The problem with Hill mode is that sometimes you don't want to brake as much as it decelerates you. If you decelerate more than necessary, you recover more energy per mile, but you give that back and more when you accelerate to compensate.

Best is never brake and never accelerate, but that tends to not be practical if you want to actually get somewhere

Next best is to minimize accelerating, which necessarily implies minimizing braking as well.

drliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex

Although this article primarily speaks to maximizing fuel economy in conventional ICE vehicles many of the techniques, suggestions and science here apply to maximizing Stealth range as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy-maximizing_behaviors
Old 08-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've really started to minimize my hill mode use. Its really only effective for long downhill runs where momentum and 5,300 pounds of beauty (and I'm not referring to myself), can carry the car through the friction of the hill mode. Also, I love the advice given earlier to try to keep the "needle" on the display right in the middle as much as possible. I tend to drive like a granny when I do that but a Karma driven slowly gets even more attention than all of the crazies out there!
Deep Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote