Acceleration hole at 30mph? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Acceleration hole at 30mph?

I wanted to check with you guys if you experience the same or this is just an illusion. I got my new HV battery and 6.28 and since then I think I experience a hole in accelerating from 0mph to 60mph. At 30mph you can feel the acceleration slower down.
Do you also experience the same or do you have a smooth acceleration to 60mph? Sure, the torque is going down during increasing speed, but it should be smooth. Thanks for any comment.
michaelCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
Default RE: Acceleration hole at 30mph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelCA
I wanted to check with you guys if you experience the same or this is just an illusion. I got my new HV battery and 6.28 and since then I think I experience a hole in accelerating from 0mph to 60mph. At 30mph you can feel the acceleration slower down.
Do you also experience the same or do you have a smooth acceleration to 60mph? Sure, the torque is going down during increasing speed, but it should be smooth. Thanks for any comment.
I've never noticed this myself, and accelerate from 0 to 50 or 60 regularly. I'm almost always in Stealth. Are you in Stealth, Sport, or Stealth-but-zero-battery mode?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePalmBJ
Quote:
I've never noticed this myself, and accelerate from 0 to 50 or 60 regularly. I'm almost always in Stealth. Are you in Stealth, Sport, or Stealth-but-zero-battery mode?

I am in Stealth mode (battery fully charged).

Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There was a discussion a while back about the limits imposed by the inverters when you apply full open throttle. As I recall, they start stepping power down in stages after around 10 seconds. This should be plenty of time to get you to 60 MPH, but you may have an inverter that is cutting out too early or the control software in your car is not allowing the inverters to stay at full power long enough.

If the problem is easily repeatable and reproducible on demand, you may want to have the dealer check the car.

Personally, I have not experienced this phenomenon, so I don't think it is present in all Karmas.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There was a discussion a while back about the limits imposed by the inverters when you apply full open throttle. As I recall, they start stepping power down in stages after around 10 seconds. This should be plenty of time to get you to 60 MPH, but you may have an inverter that is cutting out too early or the control software in your car is not allowing the inverters to stay at full power long enough.

If the problem is easily repeatable and reproducible on demand, you may want to have the dealer check the car.

Personally, I have not experienced this phenomenon, so I don't think it is present in all Karmas.
@Fabulist: Thank you. Ok, I will have the dealer look into it.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I noticed the same thing after having my software upgraded to 6.28. I can repeat it anytime I hit the pedal hard. Feels like hitting the red line in a Vette and the computer shuts you down.
MArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MArkansas
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I noticed the same thing after having my software upgraded to 6.28. I can repeat it anytime I hit the pedal hard. Feels like hitting the red line in a Vette and the computer shuts you down.
Correct! Also around at 30mph? I tried this afternoon again and I can feel it like you said you are hitting the red line.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MArkansas
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Correct! Also around at 30mph? I tried this afternoon again and I can feel it like you said you are hitting the red line.
I spend a lot of my commute getting on and off freeways and have never had a problem accelerating to highway speed (70+ MPH) on the ramps, and certainly no acceleration hole at any speed in between. I do not floor the accelerator, however. Can you guys reproduce the problem with less than full throttle? I will try full throttle to see if I can replicate this in my car running 628. It may only manifest itself at the limit.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

I tried the acceleration with WOT up to 65 today. Smooth and quick. i am on 628.
Sigurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

I will have the dealer over tomorrow. I will demonstrate it to him and let you guys know what he thinks. Thank you all for testing this.