New Battery Technology for Fisker? - Page 2 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlJOHN View Post
Always interesting news. I am not sure that the Fisker batteries are the latest technology. However, I read that Wanxiang Sold A123 a few months ago.

Watching from Tesla website, there is always a new battery technology a few years away. Hoping it will "pan" out.
@AlJOHN,

According to Wikipedia, A123 is still a subsidiary of Wanxiang America:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A123_Systems

I wonder if the sale you are referring to is this announcement from March 2014 where A123 sold off their energy storage business not related to automotive batteries?

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articl...-from-wanxiang
Old 02-06-2015, 12:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90XMC2 View Post
the guys from EMotorWerks are working on 3 Karmas as far as i know, they have been successful getting them to a EV only by both replacing the a123 batteries and adding more to the front good by taking off the ICE and the generator..

hope they will post it once they have a plan how to kit/install them for the "mass" market out there.
do we have any early data on EST price, final weight and ev miles? Also any discussion on adding or enhancing the charging system for fast charge ?
Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage

i can't recall the estimated price, but i think it was a total of 70+ real miles.
there is a similar tread here (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-...echnology.html) where the user "valerun" is involved, that's the founder of EMW, i'm sure he can share some of their progress.
P90XMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2015, 03:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)

Thanks Wattgas.... It was that article which I saw. I missed the part that said "non-automotive". I guess it is some good news that A123 is still part of Wanxiang.
Appreciate your research...
AlJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATTGAS View Post
@AlJOHN,

According to Wikipedia, A123 is still a subsidiary of Wanxiang America:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A123_Systems

I wonder if the sale you are referring to is this announcement from March 2014 where A123 sold off their energy storage business not related to automotive batteries?

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articl...-from-wanxiang

They are selling division on non automotive

the non-automotive lithium-ion battery and system integration branch of A123

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
smggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90XMC2 View Post
i can't recall the estimated price, but i think it was a total of 70+ real miles.
there is a similar tread here (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-...echnology.html) where the user "valerun" is involved, that's the founder of EMW, i'm sure he can share some of their progress.
70+ real miles would be a huge improvement. In some cases, almost double what I get in the summer time with AC running and super high outside temps affecting the HV battery temp.

@valerun - if you're still active on the site, would you mind sharing any updates on this project?
Old 02-07-2015, 02:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATTGAS View Post
70+ real miles would be a huge improvement. In some cases, almost double what I get in the summer time with AC running and super high outside temps affecting the HV battery temp.

@valerun - if you're still active on the site, would you mind sharing any updates on this project?
Thanks for pinging. We spun off the co that is working on rebuilding Fisker into a separate company. Things are going well but we are a bit radical about it and have decided to (1) go all-electric, and (2) use 18650 nanophosphate (similar to A123) in a slab-type, Tesla-like configuration on the bottom of the car (and the tunnel, of course).

We will get ~125 miles of all-electric range but no huge genset. There is a plan to offer REX, though - similar to BMW i3 type.

What we are doing will not be interesting for the majority of the owners as the price tag is pretty steep. But we are trying to make this beautiful car perform as well as a high-end Tesla.

We should have our first proto soon.

V
valerun is offline   Reply With Quote