Fisker Buzz Forums

Fisker Buzz Forums

Fisker Buzz Forums (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Fisker Karma (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/)
-   -   How many of you have received an entire HV battery change? and what is the outcome? (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/1554-how-many-you-have-received-entire-hv-battery-change-what-outcome.html)

Sigurd 08-01-2012 04:42 PM

RE: How many of you have received an entire HV battery change? and what is the outcome?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVer1

i have found I can significantly increase HV battery range by using Sport mode for 5-10 seconds when accelerating to enter highway or climbing a hill. That can add as much 10 miles to the HV range without impacting gas usage much at all.

Buck
[/quote]

I'm going to try that - good tip!
[/quote]

So do you hit sport mode like 30 seconds before you accelerate or just a couple of seconds before you accelerate or climb a hill. It seems like the engine does not rev up for a bit when you start it.

Bert Yetman 08-01-2012 05:57 PM

RE: How many of you have received an entire HV battery change? and what is the outcome?

Running an ICE for 5-10 seconds only is detrimental to any ICE. If the oil doesn't have time to reach maximum temperature, the contaminants from a cold start remain in the oil. Any time you start the ICE you should keep it running until it reaches normal operating temperature. That rids the oil of most contaminants.

dennis 08-01-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert Yetman
Running an ICE for 5-10 seconds only is detrimental to any ICE. If the oil doesn't have time to reach maximum temperature, the contaminants from a cold start remain in the oil. Any time you start the ICE you should keep it running until it reaches normal operating temperature. That rids the oil of most contaminants.

The emissions control software will not allow the ICE to run for only 5-10 seconds. It will continue to run until emissions have been minimized even if you take it out of Sport mode.

michaelCA 08-01-2012 06:56 PM

I wrote earlier in this post that I just got a new HV battery. I received the car with power for 34 miles and drove it down 20 miles. Then I put it on my 220V Schneider charger for at least 4 hours. When I got into the car the display showed 34 miles???
Ok, I thought I may did something wrong, but today I started to charge at 25 miles and after 4 hours I only got 39 miles. :-(!!!
Anybody any idea what could be the problem. I have doubt that my Schneider charger went bad. It worked before the HV change very well. The battery was fully chargerrd in less than 5 hourss.

daviddd 08-01-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karma 2012
Hi Fisker Buzzers,

I am guessing Fisker is using the VIN to determine which HV batteries are affected. Has anyone actually completed the swap? and what is the outcome?

My battery was replaced within the first month or so of delivery (one of first 50 delivered and first 10 in CA) due to coolant connections defect - proactively. It was working fine before and still is. Waiting for 6.28 with 5k svc in a week or so.

Knock on wood (reclaimed from a sunken tree) I have had no major issues, but many of the minor anoiances chronicalled here.

MyColorIsGreen 08-02-2012 02:03 AM

I also get way better non-gas mileage when I kick the ICE on before I enter the freeway onramp... I only drive 5 miles on the freeway so by the time I exit the freeway the ICE has warmed past emissions and turns off when I am exiting the offramp in hill mode.

when I take the side streets to work I get about 80% mile to mile on the ev range.. 40 actual miles in range

when I use the freeway I get about 65% averaging about 32miles range.

using the ICE while on freeways I maintain about 80% or 40 actual miles in range.

my overall mpg for 3500 miles is 52mpg
I like the car with the ICE running but would love it if I could get 150KW from the battery while I get 150KW from the ICE... this would equate to about 4 maybe 5 second 0-60 and I would then love the car.

SoCalGuy 08-02-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNAGuy
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
My Karma decided it no longer wanted to charge this weekend. Need to take it in and figure out what's going on. It has a brand spanking new on-board charger, but it sounds like the relays aren't opening up when I plug in (although it makes the clicks for the fan).

So Cal Guy,

That sound like exactly my experience when it eventually resulted in an HV battery replacement (see above thread. I hope your issue gets resolved in more timely fashion than mine.

Buck

Yeah, still waiting to hear back from Fisker. Will let everyone know what I find out.

Fabulist 08-02-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karma 2012
Hi Fisker Buzzers,

I am guessing Fisker is using the VIN to determine which HV batteries are affected. Has anyone actually completed the swap? and what is the outcome?

Fisker has confirmed that my car is on the list for a new battery but have not said anything about when. The HV battery in my car has been (knocking on reclaimed wood) working very well both with regard to range and performance, so I am not in any hurry to have it replaced.

michaelCA 08-08-2012 05:01 AM

I have 6.28 and a new HV battery for one week. Now I got the problem it won't charge properly. I only charge 18 miles in 4 hours. also charging 14 hours with 110V I get only 40 miles. At Southcoast Plaza mall I got 5 miles in 1.5h (220V). According Fisker OC dealer, the battery was not loaded correctly the first time. It seems they will pick it up on Monday again. :-(
Anybody faced the same problem?

Bert Yetman 08-08-2012 04:52 PM

Until getting 6.28, there were no problems other than the CEL. Received a 50 mile charge faithfully every night, without fans running. Now I get 42 sometimes and 50 sometimes, with fans running. My gas gage sometimes glows red and shows very little gas, but still registers between 60-110 miles remaining. Sometimes the dash is very slow to light up after pushing start, and sometimes the computer screen remains dark with a Fisker emblem showing. The key word is sometimes.

The fans running may be due to the hotter weather.