Just discovered the Karma... - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Default Just discovered the Karma...

I was an inch away from ordering a Corvette Stingray when I saw the Karma in a movie, and realized the err of my way! This looks exactly like the car I've been wanting.

I found one for sale at an exotic car dealership about 2 hours away (Eclipse color), and I'm planning a trip tomorrow (Wednesday) to see it in person and test drive it.

Any suggestions on what I should look for, or ask the dealership? My biggest concern is service, since the nearest certified service center is about 300 miles away, but what should I look for to make sure there aren't any problems with the car?
GoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage

i drove the stingray on a race track few weeks back,
the car interior and exterior is pretty amazing for a vette,
engine power in a straight line and sound is very impressive, so does the value you get for the price..

BUT... the car is very anemic on the corners, even on a race track using track mode, you won't hear the tires screaming, you won't feel the steering wheel feedback because it's on "mute mode"

if you want a fun race car get a Porsche, if you want to drive in style - Fisker is highly recommended!
P90XMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

You definitely want to be aware of any dash lights (like the CEL) that appear when you drive the car. Also check for any unusual noises like rattling when in Sport mode. Ask if the battery has been replaced/fixed, the low temp fan, and if all other bulletins have been serviced on the car. You should also ask what software version is running.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Owner #1926

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage

There's a thread in here called buyers checklist - or something like that - make sure to check it out! Also, if you can get a tech like HarleyGuy or Lormax to look at it first, its a nice reassurance. There are lemons out there and you don't want to end up with one! Some of the bad VINs are listed on here too, so at the very least, search that and look at the buyers checklist.
Roberta'sKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)

Use this link to get to the Buyer's Checklist thread. I agree with @Roberta'sKarma about having one of the experts, such as @Harleyguy, @FiskerPhilly, or @Lormax perform a complete pre-purchase inspection of the car and access the car's repair records before making the final decision to purchase a particular specimen.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback! I went to look at it, and you guys are right, it's definitely awesome. I'm planning to pick it up tomorrow.

The VIN on this one is 0698, and it has 9,380 miles on it. The owner of the company said that they did replace the second battery when it got to the lot (he implied that there's a big battery and a small one, and the small one is the one he replaced? I might have misunderstood, though). I didn't get to log in until late, though, so before I pick it up I'll find out about the traction motors, cooling fan, muffler, and software.

I drove around for awhile in neighborhoods and shortly on the interstate, using both Stealth and Sport mode, and didn't recognize any weird sounds, so I think those issues are OK. With it being close to 10k miles, I'm hoping most of the little quirks are already fixed.

There's one thing that I haven't seen mentioned, though: the tires seemed pretty worn on the outside, but had a ton of tread on the inside. The owner of the lot said that they had had a few Fiskers and they all did that: true or false? Is there an alignment issue to worry about?

I'm buying for $65k (an EcoSport), which seems like a very good price. Should I try to negotiate new tires because of the wear?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

Do some searches on tire wear. That's normal.

Owner of Fix The Karma LLC
http://www.fixthekarma.com
Lormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lormax View Post
Do some searches on tire wear. That's normal.
See this thread generally, and this post specifically.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 06-19-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks again, guys, I don't know how I overlooked those before! I sent an email to verify that those critical problems have been fixed, and if all goes well then I'll be the proud owner of a Fisker Karma in about 12 hours :-)
Old 06-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

hey bud.. Look into getting one of the new ones on ebay that have the MSO.. You can get some good deals still. You might be able to get a new one for 65k plus $7500 tax credit.. Rather do that with a high vin than a used one with 10k.. just my .02
momogala is offline   Reply With Quote