Model Karmas... - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Default Model Karmas...

So I've been pestering Fisker's marketing group for a while (1.5 years) to get a desktop model of the Karma... and I suspect its still months away. I've found a number of 3D models online of the Karma by enthusiasts and I've also found a number of 3D prototyping/printing companies available as well (you upload your 3D file and they 'print' it in a 3D plastic model).

Has anyone had experience using the 3D printers/rapid prototypers? What I'm thinking is I could buy the 3D .obj model of the Karma and then upload that to one of these 3D prototyping companies to have it made (should cost about $300-400). Would be curious if anyone on this forum has experience with this or has done this before.
SoCalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default RE: Model Karmas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
So I've been pestering Fisker's marketing group for a while (1.5 years) to get a desktop model of the Karma... and I suspect its still months away. I've found a number of 3D models online of the Karma by enthusiasts and I've also found a number of 3D prototyping/printing companies available as well (you upload your 3D file and they 'print' it in a 3D plastic model).

Has anyone had experience using the 3D printers/rapid prototypers? What I'm thinking is I could buy the 3D .obj model of the Karma and then upload that to one of these 3D prototyping companies to have it made (should cost about $300-400). Would be curious if anyone on this forum has experience with this or has done this before.
Why would Fisker give out their IP, so everyone can copy and modify?
Sparky168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky168
Quote:

We're not talking about the EVer drivetrain here just just the external design of the Karma ... same as Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin, Audi etc.... It's done all the time. Check out Maisto's catalog: http://www.maisto.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=1 39

Old 06-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky168
Quote:

We're not talking about the EVer drivetrain here just just the external design of the Karma ... same as Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin, Audi etc.... It's done all the time. Check out Maisto's catalog: http://www.maisto.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=1 39
There is a difference between a 3D model from an enthusiast and Fisker in my mind. From an enthusiast, you can make toys. With the Fisker model, you can actually make the part. See this TED Talk.
I guess we are talking apple and orange. :P

Video Title : Lisa Harouni: A primer on 3D printing
Video HomePage : http://www.ted.com/talks/lisa_harouni_a_primer_on_3d_printing.html
Date : Jan 2012
Event Name : TEDSalon London Spring 2011
Duration : 14:49
Download Location : http://download.ted.com/talks/LisaHarouni_2011S.mp4
Sparky168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have access to a 3-D printer. Where can I find a file online?
Skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibum
Just have these guys, or these guys [video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11QBW1z1B2s[/video]
scan your car for you.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibum
Skibum... check out this site:

http://www.creativecrash.com/marketplace/3d-models/vehicle/cars/sedan/c/fisker-karma-2012

Let me know if that is printable with your printer - would be cool to have one for my desk!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
rex

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'd love a 1:18 scale fisker karma. If you crack it, let me know where I can order one. The die cast folks don't seem to have them the way they do for Ferrari, Porsche, etc.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Checking with machinist...will report out...
Old 06-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

From my machinist: "We need an .stl file for the printer. I can start with a .spt (solidpart) file and convert to an .stl but they are not offering that file type either. "

Sorry folks.