My new Fisker and Tesla - Page 3 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperator View Post
I would much rather drive somewhere on a whim because I truly enjoy to the driving experience in a satisfying car. When driving the Model S you have to really watch how fast you are going, how much AC you are using and other consumption items when road tripping. For me it takes away from the whole experience.

In sprawling metro areas like Southern California road trips are part of the culture; going to Palm Springs for a day etc or the like is quite common and tests the Model S' range. Not very fun to take an impromptu (really has to be planned in a pure EV for required top up stops) road trip that takes 50% more time and come back in the same day! Also having to take a predetermined route sort of takes away from it. I am not a fan of renting cars, the ones that are any fun to drive are expensive to rent and you have to pre-plan it all. Might as well fly in and then rent a car at your destination rather than do a road trip.

I was speaking to the person who is in charge of supercharger deployment a few months ago and the interesting piece of information that she told me is that the heaviest users of Superchargers are either locals or taxi cab operators/companies. So not as many people are taking Roadies as one would think in Model S'. It is more or less a marketing campaign.
While I agree that some planning is now required for long distance driving in the Model S, that is changing every month as more Superchargers are deployed. Using your Palm Springs example, the Supercharger in Indio will be live in a month and one at the Cabazon Outlets later this year.

As for the comment about locals and taxi cab operators, I'm sure she was speaking about the Hawthorne Supercharger in particular, not Superchargers in general. I don't know of any Tesla taxi services around Harris Ranch, Tejon Ranch, Atascadero, etc. Tesla does have a challenge with usage by locals when it needs to put Superchargers in urban destinations like LA, Las Vegas, New York, etc.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)

Once the auto industry and IEEE standardize batteries like we did for flashlights, this whole Tesla Supercharger thing will go away and recharging your car will take only a couple of seconds and at any Gas/Battery station.... (and we won't have to lug around an ICE)
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Once the auto industry and IEEE standardize batteries like we did for flashlights, this whole Tesla Supercharger thing will go away and recharging your car will take only a couple of seconds and at any Gas/Battery station.... (and we won't have to lug around an ICE)
Interesting. It appears my flashlights aren't aware of this having taken place. I count over 6 different types of batteries for the flashlights I own.
2012 Karma ES Shadow/Monsoon #953, 2012 Tesla Model S Signature P85, 2008 Tesla Roadster #227
2014 Zero SR, 2011 Vectrix VX1-Li+
Don A is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don A View Post
Interesting. It appears my flashlights aren't aware of this having taken place.
But there are standards for your flashlight, just as there are 3 standards for grades for gasoline. You don't see flashlight companies making their own custom size batteries... Standardized EV batteries will happen, its just a matter of when. You heard it here first.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
While I agree that some planning is now required for long distance driving in the Model S, that is changing every month as more Superchargers are deployed. Using your Palm Springs example, the Supercharger in Indio will be live in a month and one at the Cabazon Outlets later this year.
Even with Superchargers it will take at least 30-50+% longer depending on your proximity to Palm Springs, same with Las Vegas etc. I am all for visiting new places but spending 35%+ of my potential driving time watching my speed and temp to get to Barstow seems about as fun as getting a root canal. When I drove the Karma to Vegas a few months ago I was consuming in excess of 600wh/mi which is a bit excessive but was also "supercharging" on the fly at 90-120kw the whole way

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
As for the comment about locals and taxi cab operators, I'm sure she was speaking about the Hawthorne Supercharger in particular, not Superchargers in general. I don't know of any Tesla taxi services around Harris Ranch, Tejon Ranch, Atascadero, etc. Tesla does have a challenge with usage by locals when it needs to put Superchargers in urban destinations like LA, Las Vegas, New York, etc.
She was talking about the number of unique plug-ins over the whole supercharger system. The ones that are used most frequently (fre & haw) are used at an exponentially greater rate vs ones in the "boonies."
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
She was talking about number of unique plug-ins over the whole supercharger system. The ones that are used most frequently (fre & haw) are used at an exponential greater rate vs ones in the "boonies."
Tesla can easily address this by prioritizing access to owners who are 50 Miles or more from home based on car registration address. If a travelling member can bump a local off the charger if no chargers are available, it would help the travelling owners without going back on Tesla's commitment to free supercharging.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
But there are standards for your flashlight, just as there are 3 standards for grades for gasoline. You don't see flashlight companies making their own custom size batteries... Standardized EV batteries will happen, its just a matter of when. You heard it here first.
Yes, my flashlights use custom size batteries consisting of anywhere from 1 to 6 individual cells. As noted there are many types of standard cell form factors available for something as simple a flashlight. In a number of the 6 different form factors I use I can also select from at least 4 different chemistries as well. With a simple thing like a flashlight needing so many options, I am willing to bet we will never see any significant standardization of EV batteries in our lifetime.

By the way, my two Teslas are the only EVs I own that do use standardized cells. They both use the most common li-ion cell form factor ever produced.
2012 Karma ES Shadow/Monsoon #953, 2012 Tesla Model S Signature P85, 2008 Tesla Roadster #227
2014 Zero SR, 2011 Vectrix VX1-Li+
Don A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
Tesla can easily address this by prioritizing access to owners who are 50 Miles or more from home based on car registration address. If a travelling member can bump a local off the charger if no chargers are available, it would help the travelling owners without going back on Tesla's commitment to free supercharging.
Not going to happen any time soon; Tesla's actions in the past have shown that they do not want to get involved with the logistics of Supercharging (or charging in general) priorities. They have taken the clear position of let the owners figure it out. There have been squabbles in the past at Tesla stores over who gets to plug in. Tesla responded by removing the charging capabilities completely.

Who is to say that a traveling member is more in need of a charge than a local resident? It is difficult to determine these priorities, so best to stay out of it.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatesla View Post
???
To get this back on topic that is one clean looking garage, I wish mine was as uncluttered!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (178.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
To get this back on topic that is one clean looking garage, I wish mine was as uncluttered!
Thanks for that, and very nice photo. I like that the two appear to be separated by a wall, to avoid any internecine shenanigans, no doubt.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote