Battery Range indication - Page 3 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 01:56 AM   #21 (permalink)

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

1. I've experienced and done the same thing. It's a bit of topping off and the modules balancing out.

2. The 3-4 miles left then it plummeting to zero is most likely a bad module, especially since it's repeatable for you.

Owner of Fix The Karma LLC
http://www.fixthekarma.com
Lormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)

One tell tail sign of a possable battery problem is the charger not shutting off when the battery reaches 50 miles . That can be caused by a week module or a unbalanced module . Usually in time the weak module will show when we check live data or for codes . The modules don't always set a CEL until more the two or three cells in a module go bad . I've seen many cars show a module with two or three cells bad and not cause any problems .
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Guys
it sounds a little bit "difficult" to run a battery down to zero by just not having gasoline for when the engine want to start. isn't there an easier way, for example to just unplug something which I can plug in again once the battery is fully down. Let's say the 12V Battery. But is it through that this wouldn't be good for the HV BAttery?

Old 05-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

so actually I am looking for a safe way to download the HV battery without causing any problem to it
Old 05-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
so actually I am looking for a safe way to download the HV battery without causing any problem to it
Do you mean drain (aufbrauchen?) the HV battery to zero charge? I am not an expert on batteries, but my understanding is that reducing the charge to zero is very damaging to these batteries and should be avoided.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

By running a battery to zero, we mean zero miles...just drive the car and deplete the battery.

Owner of Fix The Karma LLC
http://www.fixthekarma.com
Lormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #27 (permalink)

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)

Could be either. Both issues show identical results. With a faulty module range will drop off at varying mileage numbers depending on the severity and it depends on how low the minimum voltage is in that module before it hits the threshold and the BECM shuts down the HV battery propulsion and fires GEN. For example all modules at 25% and defective module 11 is at 15%, the remaining range will drop to 0 to protect that one module from dropping below the minimum state of charge. So the remaining 14 modules have plenty of charge but range is 0 because of the one bad egg...
An unbalanced battery will act the same but begs the question how did it become unbalanced? An unbalanced battery just means one or more modules or cells within are lower (slightly) than others. A large imbalance usually indicates a module issue pending. Typically as Harleyguy said we only see that when replacing a module that is installed with a higher or lower voltage than the others in the battery. Balancing is inevitably required when swapping modules but should be a rare occasion in a regularly driven karma.
Hope this helps.
FiskerPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #28 (permalink)

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)

Also the term run down completely is often misinterpreted on these cars. The range meter will show 0 numerically with a small (less than 1/4) on the bar gauge. In the EV world, fully discharge means 15% with Lithium Ion. If it goes to true 0 which is almost impossible as the becm will shut it down before that and you will get a message "OUT OF ENERGY" probably around 10% or so. Correct true 0% SOC is baad news and very difficult to recover one of these batteries from that at least externally. So driving to 0 range = 15% which is the lowest state of charge.
FiskerPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Some people have had issues with the GEN not coming on either due to misfire, rectifier, inv etc; at that point the car will let you fully deplete the battery going to Out of Energy (see attached) and then going into further reduced performance mode till 19.7kwh of the 20.1kwh (theoretical energy content of a fully charged pack) is depleted vs the normal 17kwh safe usable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V__D9E2.jpg (54.2 KB, 29 views)
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #30 (permalink)

Thank you very much guys. I am getting a
Clearer picture now my dealer told me to fully run down the battery than load it fully, unplug it and restart the charging again. That should bring the battery in balance again (after doing it several times). Can somebody confirme?
So to do so I will unplug the 12V battery and drive as long as I see the "no more energy" message. Than I connect the 12V again. Question is does the car respectively the engine after that?