Gas engine turns on in Stealth mode - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Gas engine turns on in Stealth mode

I got my car from Fisker of Orange County....told the service department of this problem but they can't seem to figure out a fix. I got the 615 update and the issue is still there. Please LMK if you have this problem.

My morning commute is about 3 miles....and I'd park the car under the sun for about 4 hours. At noon each day, I'd get in my car, start the car, and the darn gas engine turns on. What's worse is the engine sounds like a 2 thousand dollar junk and it's completely embarrassing when your "electric" car makes a cheap, rattling, engine sound.

Does any one else have this problem? Any fix?
avista70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Default RE: Gas engine turns on in Stealth mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by avista70
I got my car from Fisker of Orange County....told the service department of this problem but they can't seem to figure out a fix. I got the 615 update and the issue is still there. Please LMK if you have this problem.

My morning commute is about 3 miles....and I'd park the car under the sun for about 4 hours. At noon each day, I'd get in my car, start the car, and the darn gas engine turns on. What's worse is the engine sounds like a 2 thousand dollar junk and it's completely embarrassing when your "electric" car makes a cheap, rattling, engine sound.

This has been discussed at some length in this thread. One possible problem is that your car thinks that the gas cap is open, in which case it runs the ICE to purge the lines and pressurize the gas tank. It's only supposed to do it when you fuel the car, but if the fuel vent line or gas cap sensor are not working correctly, it may think that the gas cap is getting opened constantly.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avista70

Yes
MArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

actually it maybe that in your short commute, the engine doesn't have time to come up to full temperature and finsh it's evap system checks, so at the next start-up it tries again, and again, and again.

try this: start the vehicle, place in sport mode and in D. while keeping your foot on the brake to hold the car still, press the gas pedal far enough that the engine starts (do not do this with battery range greater than 45mi or it won't start) and then place in park. let the engine run until it shuts off.

also is your check engine light on?
Nimisys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just two days ago Fred Price, the Sewell Fisker salesman in Plano (great guy!) told me that even in stealth mode the engine may come on occasionally for a short time as the car is checking the status of the emission sensors. He said it makes a different sound when it does so. He said it will also do this after refueling or removing the gas cap.
Mike_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_D
Just two days ago Fred Price, the Sewell Fisker salesman in Plano (great guy!) told me that even in stealth mode the engine may come on occasionally for a short time as the car is checking the status of the emission sensors. He said it makes a different sound when it does so. He said it will also do this after refueling or removing the gas cap.
He is correct but I've only noticed a sound change for the few minute of so. The engine has a higher idle that's why he may mention a sound change

Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote