Best charging practices for longest battery life? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Default Best charging practices for longest battery life?

The Karma's battery is, fundamentally, lithium ion technology. As many of us know from our many Li ion-powered devices, charging and discharging practices can DRAMATICALLY affect battery lifetime. The Karma's battery life is stated to be 10 years, but I suspect that charging and discharging rates will shorten or lengthen this time frame.

For example, would exclusively using the 110V charger prolong battery life compared with the 220V charger? Usually the nC parameter (the charge rate relative to the battery's capacity) significantly influences a battery's ability to hold charge as a function of the number of charge cycles. If the nC value for the 110V charging is half that of the 220V charging, and *IF* this nC value is not already very low, then it's possible that the best way to prolong the Karma's battery life would be to use the 110V whenever possible, and use the 220V charger only when needed.

Can Nimisys or anyone else with technical knowledge of the Karma's battery comment?

Thanks,
David
drliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default RE: Best charging practices for longest battery life?

Honestly, i can't answer, i do not know the battery at that level. next time i can speak with an A123 engineer, i'll ask. I know most of the cars i see regularly, the battery State of Health hasn't moved more than a single percentage point in about 5 months worth of usage and almost exclusivly on 220v chargers. Given A123 battery design approach (in comparison with LG chem and a few others) with its indvidual module controllers, as well as Quantums control software, i don't doubt the battery pack with do the 10 years and beyond without issue.
Nimisys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I asked this same question to the forum a couple of months ago (haven't searched for the thread) and I think CT answered it. In summary, 110 may prolong the battery life, but only very fractionally, based on the specs of the battery. My impression was it really is fine to use 220 without any long-term battery life concerns.

*UPDATE* The discussion about Level 1, 2, & 3 charging, and effects on battery life are here. And it was Kab who answered the question. Hope this helps.
matrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Even the 220V charger Fisker is using provides a relatively low current. I doubt it has much effect on battery life.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote