Interior Lighting LED Conversion - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Default Interior Lighting LED Conversion

Iíve converted the Karmaís interior dome lights to LED. I donít know why the Karma didnít come with LED bulbs for interior lighting as I feel that is the eco thing to do. For the front Iíve put in 578 type 4410-WW8, bulbs from superbrightleds.com and they work great. Theyíre warm white and provide very pleasing illumination (my opinion). For the rear dome lights I put in the superbright 194-WWHPS LEDís, also warm white. The 194-WWHPS LEDís had to be modified for the Karma. A ďnormalĒ 194 bulb gets its power from the two terminals in a side-by side configuration but the Karma has the 194 sockets set up in a top-to-bottom configuration. This isnít an issue with the stock W5W bulbs that come with the Karma but the 194-WWHPS need to be converted from a side-to-side configuration to a top-to-bottom configuration. This is fairly easy to do. Just reconfigure the two wires coming out of the 194-WWHPS so that the leads donít wrap over the end of the bulb but instead fold back onto themselves on the same side they exit the bulb. This will allow the power to be applied in a top-to-bottom configuration and prevent the stock 194-WWHPS from shorting the sockets in the Karma.

You might find it interesting to note that when I measured the bulbs, I found the W5W to draw 360mA at 12V whereas the 194-WWHPS draws only 75mA at 12V.
marswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fisker Miami

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)

Remember the car was designed in 2007 I don't believe many car manufacturers were using LED at time and since Fisker was a small company it might of been easier to use bulbs just a thought . Just add it to the list of parts and design they dropped the ball with.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

from what I have seen the revero uses LED interior lights (same with Surf).
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
Remember the car was designed in 2007 I don't believe many car manufacturers were using LED at time and since Fisker was a small company it might of been easier to use bulbs just a thought . Just add it to the list of parts and design they dropped the ball with.
The Karma does use LEDs for daylight running lights, brake lights, turn signals, backup, and rear fog lights. It is odd that LEDs were specified for the exterior lights, but interior dome lights and the interior trunk lights use incandescent bulbs. Even the cup holder lights appear to be LEDs. Just seems like odd design choices.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
The Karma does use LEDs for daylight running lights, brake lights, turn signals, backup, and rear fog lights. It is odd that LEDs were specified for the exterior lights, but interior dome lights and the interior trunk lights use incandescent bulbs. Even the cup holder lights appear to be LEDs. Just seems like odd design choices.

The dome lights were GM carryover assemblies (part of a tool usage agreement they had with GM per the 2013 BK docs that references the 2009 agreement). So they likely just used them the way they were delivered; with the GM spec'd incandescent lights in order to not void any warranties or create issues between GM and FA.
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
The dome lights were GM carryover assemblies (part of a tool usage agreement they had with GM per the 2013 BK docs that references the 2009 agreement). So they likely just used them the way they were delivered; with the GM spec'd incandescent lights in order to not void any warranties or create issues between GM and FA.
In fact the sheet metal reflector inside the rear dome light assembly has a GM logo on it.
2012 Karma EcoSport Inferno/Canyon #1188
1966 Pontiac LeMans Sprint, Propane Powered
marswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Lots of common GM parts on the car and I learn something new almost every month.

@ Fab - There should be a sticky with all the GM cross referenced parts listed that users can add to as they discover or may already know. It is not an issue now, but as the car gets older and theings start to fail (typically at 6yr/60kmi) it will be good to be able to know which parts bin to go to for the best prices vs possibly paying a stiff premium from KA.

I would make it with sub areas Engine, Interior, ect
sherrillt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrillt View Post

@ Fab - There should be a sticky with all the GM cross referenced parts listed that users can add to as they discover or may already know. It is not an issue now, but as the car gets older and thngs start to fail (typically at 6yr/60kmi) it will be good to be able to know which parts bin to go to for the best prices vs possibly paying a stiff premium from KA.

I would make it with sub areas Engine, Interior, ect
A thread along these lines was started a long time ago. If there is sufficient interest in making it sticky and to add new information, I will be happy to do it.

Mu initial thinking is that it would belong in the Fisker Parts and Accessories Forum, but I am open to suggestions on other homes for it.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 03-06-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Garage

I put Blue LEDs in my car when I bought it. Vanity and trunk are white though. I bought LEDs on eBay. The trunk requires loop LEDs. The blue lights are awesome!
Lovely Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote