TOM Module Upgrade - Page 2 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List
PowerSource

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marswill View Post
Ken didn't say very much regarding the differences. Here is a quote from his email:
"TOM 20 is for 2012 Fisker Karma with BL520 software and TOM 35 is for vehicles with BL535.
Both TOM has the same features but different prices because of the complexity of BL535 compatibility."
535 no stationary charging... Would go with a 520 variant as that is more proven and we offer at a lesser price because we really do not know the long term implications of 535.

If you can downgradge to 520 and buy the TOM for that variant of software, to us that is the pinnacle. We do offer a 535 variant, and many owners enjoy it but I cannot recommend it personally (although many owners seem very happy with it).

I love stationary charging and use it frequently.
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post

I love stationary charging and use it frequently.
I can confirm that stationary charging works very well with 520. I have used it several times and you can barely hear the ICE running. You get 9KW of charging power (almost three times the charging power of a 220V charger) for about 1Gal/Hr of fuel.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
...You get 9KW of charging power (almost three times the charging power of a 220V charger) for about 1Gal/Hr of fuel.
How quickly can you go from 0-26 mi stationary charging time wise or is it better to charge on the go?
sherrillt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrillt View Post
How quickly can you go from 0-26 mi stationary charging time wise or is it better to charge on the go?
At 9KW stationary, the car would charge to 50% in an hour.

Based on my observation, on the go, you can get as much as 15KW while the car is cruising at a steady speed, but when you need power to accelerate, the power going to the battery is diverted to moving the car until you are back in a steady cruise. It also works great in slow traffic. As with everything else with this car, it all depends on how you are driving.

I have generally used stationary charge when I am stopped for a meal or coffee to top up the battery, or when I am stuck in stop-and-go traffic for the same reason. For long-distance driving, however, I prefer the EV Charge Sustaining mode that keeps the battery at the same level regardless of the SOC.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Is this Tom module available to european owners, could Kroymans in Holland install this, or is it only for American customers
willempie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrillt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
At 9KW stationary, the car would charge to 50% in an hour.

Based on my observation, on the go, you can get as much as 15KW while the car is cruising at a steady speed, but when you need power to accelerate, the power going to the battery is diverted to moving the car until you are back in a steady cruise. It also works great in slow traffic. As with everything else with this car, it all depends on how you are driving.

I have generally used stationary charge when I am stopped for a meal or coffee to top up the battery, or when I am stuck in stop-and-go traffic for the same reason. For long-distance driving, however, I prefer the EV Charge Sustaining mode that keeps the battery at the same level regardless of the SOC.
Photos from today's drive:

Driving at 66 MPH in ER mode and battery charging at 16KW, 5X the level of a 220V Level II wall charger.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willempie1972 View Post
Is this Tom module available to european owners, could Kroymans in Holland install this, or is it only for American customers
I am sure it is. Check the Powersource website...I think it's plug and play and you can do it yourself.
sherrillt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks sherrillt. Would it be advisable to downgrade the 535 to 520? I should ask them mayby
Old 02-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by willempie1972 View Post
Thanks sherrillt. Would it be advisable to downgrade the 535 to 520? I should ask them mayby
I am running 520, having never upgraded to 53x. AFAIK, the main difference between 520 TOM and 535 TOM is that 520 allows stationary charging with the ICE idling with the car locked. 530 and above automatically shut off the ICE after 60 seconds of inactivity and does not allow stationary charging.

Other than that, I think everything else works the same way under both versions. There may be other good reasons to downgrade to 520 or even 510 (battery balancing and preserving presets, for example), but as far as TOM's operation, you should only consider downgrading if you anticipate using the stationary charging feature frequently.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

But the module for 520 is a lot cheaper, and has warranty... the 535 is a lot more expensive and has no warranty (yet) .
But the 535 will have advantages for the car, so we have to think think think ...