Still want the Fisker Surf - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Default Still want the Fisker Surf

I ran across this in my photo files and it reminded me how much I really wish I could get a Surf...

Dave_Car_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)

You could probably make one from a 2012 Karma there are only 4 body panels that are different on the surf.

These guys can make it happen if you can convince them:

http://www.metalcrafters.com/
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

Where is the prototype FA made? Does KA still own it?

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
Where is the prototype FA made? Does KA still own it?

Yes according to this glassdoor interview:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Interview/...QTN_921626.htm

Quote:
Overall. the experience was quite exciting. I was awe-struck the moment I saw Fisker Atlantic and Surf right at entrance of the plant office.
The Surf is located at the plant entrance
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Don't think it will ever be made, so just get a Lusso. Besides I'm sure it will be a lot more fun to drive.
sherrillt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Surf needed new power electronics to be practical. As it was shown, it had the huge pair of drive inverters interrupting the passage from the trunk to the folded down seats.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Surf needed new power electronics to be practical. As it was shown, it had the huge pair of drive inverters interrupting the passage from the trunk to the folded down seats.

Not new power electronics; need one rear motor as you would likely need two inverters to control two motors. Regardless, the Surf is pretty useful as it is, as many vehicles do not have flat load floors. The main issue for me (if i was to use it as a utility vehicle as I use my P100d) is trunk opening. It is quite small. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in the Surf trunk (issue is what you can load into it- through that opening).

Doug, are you coming to the SF event? If you are, maybe we will bring up our 2012 Fisker Karma infused by Tesla prototype... basically the best of both worlds.

Last edited by PowerSource; 02-18-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Well I really mean the whole electric drivetrain, which I've previously commented about on this forum.

That big hump behind the seats are the drive inverters.

I do plan to come up next weekend. Would be cool to see.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

that massive box built around the inverters is a bit much and not really required; but I guess for a quick build prototype (Surf is 1 of 1.... I think vin 119/12x or something like that ) that is what they did. Not really optimized for the surf; just a running proof of concept. Not really production intent. You can see from the close-out panel removed on the Karma that the inverters are not nearly that large (as exaggerated by the superficial box covering them) to require such an enclosure.

The big dual inverter box on the surf is about 3-4 inches higher then it needs to be (and was just a quick exercise to get a Surf running car based on existing Karma hardware). If they were to have put it into production with the dual JJE motors they could have easily placed the inverters in the other part of the "T" underneath the rear passenger seat or in the smugglers box which resides underneath the load floor (or in a smaller box in existing location). Not really a show stopper (with existing inverters) and with the dual motors- while preserving a relatively normal load floor. To fully optimize the Surf's body style they would have likely had to change the exterior further and the powertrain; as the rear bumper is the same as that on the Karma and has the same exterior load floor as the 2012 Karma.