Lithium Automotive Batteries - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Default Lithium Automotive Batteries

I came across an excellent presentation on Lithium-ion battery technology as it relates to automotive applications. The presentation compares a number of different technologies including those used in the Fisker, Leaf, and Tesla automobiles. Anyway, if you’re a nerd like me I thought you might enjoy this presentation:
http://youtu.be/9qi03QawZEk
Another presentation explaining the future of batteries and comparing the pros and cons of different technologies can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISEzv...be#t=10.361344
While yet another very interesting presentation which appears to be associated with A123 with a very impressive ending can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmG1p...=1#t=10.478466
2012 Karma EcoSport Inferno/Canyon #1188
1966 Pontiac LeMans Sprint, Propane Powered

Last edited by Fabulist; 06-20-2016 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Fixed YouTube links
marswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)

Since you maybe have watched all 1:13 of the first video (I fell asleep after 10 minutes) ... can you boil it down? Being in AZ, will I be very happy about having bought a warranty?
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
Since you maybe have watched all 1:13 of the first video (I fell asleep after 10 minutes) ... can you boil it down? Being in AZ, will I be very happy about having bought a warranty?
Isn't pretty much everything in Arizona boiling down right now?

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)

It's just "summer" here. I'll take a 120 degree summer day here over 0 degrees with a 25 knot wind from a central IL winter day ANY FREAKIN' TIME! Sunshine is much easier to shovel!

However, I do care about my Karma batteries! They've been pretty good over the 18 months I've had 'em!
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
In a nutshell, the Tesla has better batteries than the Fisker and the Fisker has better batteries than the Leaf. Also, heat is the biggest enemy of Lithium batteries. That's why active cooling for the batteries can make a big difference on battery life. The Tesla and the Karma both have active cooling.
2012 Karma EcoSport Inferno/Canyon #1188
1966 Pontiac LeMans Sprint, Propane Powered
marswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There is actually a lot of on-going research for batteries that will hold charge for cars right now I think and it seems like the market for the whole thing is going to get a lot more competitive with the demand for alternative energy increasing across the world too. (I didn't watch the whole video either, sorry!)
webbrowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marswill View Post
In a nutshell, the Tesla has better batteries than the Fisker and the Fisker has better batteries than the Leaf. Also, heat is the biggest enemy of Lithium batteries. That's why active cooling for the batteries can make a big difference on battery life. The Tesla and the Karma both have active cooling.
2011 and 2012 LMO Leaf batteries had the issues... Nissan made a change to the pack in 2012 which mitigated these issues in extremely hot climates (Arizona).

The new Leafs have actually moved to NMC cathode with the 30kwh/40kwh in the vans.. so this is no longer an issue.

Just recently A123 has moved into this space... essentially abandoning Iron Phosphate and using their existing inventory for 48v start/stop batteries.

http://www.a123systems.com/nmc.htm

The A123 pack in the Karma is quite antique as I do not think any OEM in North America uses this Iron Phosphate chemistry. I know a lot of hobbyists use this chem and it is quite popular (you really don't need much thermal management).

The Karma is also antique in that it does not actively heat the pack so you see huge issues such as voltage drop and a myriad of other issues (although there is a claim that the new Revero's EXT chemistry negates the need for active heating- not so with the Karma). The battery balancing algorithm also actually uses resistive bleeding which is very archiac (that is why it takes many hours even days to balance a pack and even then will not really be able to balance it). Saying that the A123 Karma pack is better than anything maybe a huge overstatement. YMMV
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ira

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage

Today I took my first extended trip in temperate California weather with a KA-certified replacement pack. In Stealth with 15 miles to go and 17 miles of theoretical range, there was no sudden range drop off and I had 2 miles left when I pulled into the garage.

I didn't think it was possible . . . except perhaps with a tailwind under ideal test track driving conditions. Anyone else experiencing this?
Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
Today I took my first extended trip in temperate California weather with a KA-certified replacement pack. In Stealth with 15 miles to go and 17 miles of theoretical range, there was no sudden range drop off and I had 2 miles left when I pulled into the garage.

I didn't think it was possible . . . except perhaps with a tailwind under ideal test track driving conditions. Anyone else experiencing this?
I have gotten pretty close, but never hit the coveted 1:1 EV miles. The two major factors are speed and terrain.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ira

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
I have gotten pretty close, but never hit the coveted 1:1 EV miles. The two major factors are speed and terrain.
True. And ambient temperature. 60-70 is best.
Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote