Fisker Automotive Vancouver will no longer repair battery packs!!! - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2017, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Exclamation Fisker Automotive Vancouver will no longer repair battery packs!!!

I just spoke with the chief Shop Foreman for Karma Automotive in Vancouver BC. I was told that they have no one trained to repair or replace individual battery modules any more. They understood from Karma senior management that they would only be replacing the whole battery packs now, even if it were determined just one module was bad. The estimated cost.....sit down now if you aren't already....$$$30,000.00!!! (I assumed Canadian dollars) plus 10 hrs shop time labour. I didnt ask the hourly shop rate, but you can guess! Might this become the new policy of a company discouraging prospective Fisker Karma buyers....What galled me was how casually he told me this, as if a 30+K bill was chump change...

I need someone on here to reassure me that aftermarket or other brand batteries (cheaper) might be employable here. Anyone?? I am very interested in this car but this could be the deal killer.....
m6 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6 guy View Post
I just spoke with the chief Shop Foreman for Karma Automotive in Vancouver BC. I was told that they have no one trained to repair or replace individual battery modules any more. They understood from Karma senior management that they would only be replacing the whole battery packs now, even if it were determined just one module was bad. The estimated cost.....sit down now if you aren't already....$$$30,000.00!!! (I assumed Canadian dollars) plus 10 hrs shop time labour. I didnt ask the hourly shop rate, but you can guess! Might this become the new policy of a company discouraging prospective Fisker Karma buyers....What galled me was how casually he told me this, as if a 30+K bill was chump change...

I need someone on here to reassure me that aftermarket or other brand batteries (cheaper) might be employable here. Anyone?? I am very interested in this car but this could be the deal killer.....
The aftermarket solutions are still some ways off. Some of the repair centrs in the US still offer individual module replacement. If the alternative is $30K for replacing mostly good modules, it may make sense to consider shipping the car South for repair.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)

It's simple for me, I buy 1 new battery and use it to repair 12 customer cars lol.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)

So, are each of the modules "interchangable"?

Could module (say) 5 in Car A be used as Module (say) 2 in Car B?
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
So, are each of the modules "interchangable"?

Could module (say) 5 in Car A be used as Module (say) 2 in Car B?
depends on module and terminal locations. all modules are not 100% interchangeable with others (i.e they are not all the same)
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fisker Miami

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)

There are positive and negative modules as long as you swap a positive for a positive and the same for negative it can be done it's also based on the location of the module. There is only one module that can't be swapped with the other 14 and that's module 3.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote