Battery Technology Takes Another Leap Forward with Solid Electrolyte Batteries - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Default Battery Technology Takes Another Leap Forward with Solid Electrolyte Batteries

I had heard about solid electrolyte batteries before, and this article gives more details about them.

Quote:
[Professor] Goodenough’s latest breakthrough, completed with Cockrell School senior research fellow Maria Helena Braga, is a low-cost all-solid-state battery that is noncombustible and has a long cycle life (battery life) with a high volumetric energy density and fast rates of charge and discharge. The engineers describe their new technology in a recent paper published in the journal Energy & Environmental Science.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 03-03-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Fabulist;282362]I had heard about solid electrolyte batteries before, and this article gives more details about them.

I need to replace a couple battery cells (I go from 14 miles to zero in less than hal a second), but have contemplated waiting to see if a) the pricing gets better, and b) of the battery's themselves get better. Thoughts?
SoloKae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Garage

[quote=SoloKae;284377]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
I had heard about solid electrolyte batteries before, and this article gives more details about them.

I need to replace a couple battery cells (I go from 14 miles to zero in less than hal a second), but have contemplated waiting to see if a) the pricing gets better, and b) of the battery's themselves get better. Thoughts?
consider the new powersource battery -- they are taking reservation on thier web site.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)

[quote=SoloKae;284377]
Quote:

IMHO, this not an either/or decision. I would suggest getting the battery repaired to keep your Karma running at its best for now. Upgraded batteries may not arrive for years, and when they do, you will have to replace the entire battery, not just a few modules. No point in driving around with a broken battery for the next couple of years.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Nin ja;284417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloKae View Post
Quote:

consider the new powersource battery -- they are taking reservation on thier web site.
I bought my Karma last year and always learning/discovering something new so thank you. So "PowerSource" and "PS TOM" I looked into following your comment--the premium battery claims double the capacity? Are they suggesting up to 100 miles on battery alone in Stealth? And if so, is the battery gauge updated on the driver dash with PowerSource software? And not to go to far, but is thus the same group flirting with the infotainment upgrade?

I plan on hitting the YouTube channel, but I'm curious about the claims vs actual, and aftermarket software update.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

[quote=SoloKae;284473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin ja View Post

I bought my Karma last year and always learning/discovering something new so thank you. So "PowerSource" and "PS TOM" I looked into following your comment--the premium battery claims double the capacity? Are they suggesting up to 100 miles on battery alone in Stealth? And if so, is the battery gauge updated on the driver dash with PowerSource software? And not to go to far, but is thus the same group flirting with the infotainment upgrade?

I plan on hitting the YouTube channel, but I'm curious about the claims vs actual, and aftermarket software update.
Our solution is a replacement pack for the 2012 Karma, but if you have a few bad modules it will be surely cheaper to replace those modules and motor on vs battery pack replacement. We are in beta now proving out the pack in several vehicles across the country. Once we get governmental approval we plan on offering these packs to the general public. The replacement is fully plug and play; you get more capacity and it is fully integrated with the existing sub-sytems within the vehicle (i.e your dash cluster will show the miles commensurate with the actual mileage theoretically available based on capacity)

Interestingly enough, the feedback we have gotten from TOM users is that battery pack capacity really does not matter if they can re-charge on the fly. Many customers top off their pack while driving during highway excursions and bank or save their pack for intercity (local road) commutes. Something we are taking into consideration as we scale up our battery pack line. Most of our pre-orders are from owners who do not care for the ICE and want a full electric commute.
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

Last edited by PowerSource; 03-31-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

[QUOTE=PowerSource;284497]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloKae View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin ja View Post

Our solution is a replacement pack for the 2012 Karma, but if you have a few bad modules it will be surely cheaper to replace those modules and motor on vs battery pack replacement. We are in beta now proving out the pack in several vehicles across the country. Once we get governmental approval we plan on offering these packs to the general public. The replacement is fully plug and play; you get more capacity and it is fully integrated with the existing sub-sytems within the vehicle (i.e your dash cluster will show the miles commensurate with the actual mileage theoretically available based on capacity)

Interestingly enough, the feedback we have gotten from TOM users is that battery pack capacity really does not matter if they can re-charge on the fly. Many customers top off their pack while driving during highway excursions and bank or save their pack for intercity (local road) commutes. Something we are taking into consideration as we scale up our battery pack line. Most of our pre-orders are from owners who do not care for the ICE and want a full electric commute.
Just messaged you, Powersource.