Favorite Fisker Stories - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ira

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Default Favorite Fisker Stories

A strange thing happened last night (4/12/13). Just before dinnertime there was a knock at the door. Outside stood a policeman.
“Good evening, sir,” he said, looming over me.
“What can I do for you, officer?” I responded, trying to act nonchalant.
“Do you drive a Fisker Karma?”
“Y-yes,” I said. I had been out a little earlier, running an errand. All I could think about was that front license plate in the trunk. Or maybe I ran someone over while backing up.
“May I see the car?” he asked.
My mind was racing. Should I demand a search warrant?
Sensing my hesitancy, he quickly added, “How does it compare with a Tesla?”
I now saw where this was going. “Well, the cars have different missions,” I replied, breathing again. “If you’re traveling with a family of four, for example, the Tesla has more room for baggage. But the Fisker has a gasoline engine like the Volt, so that’s another consideration. C’mon, I’ll show it to you.”
For the next fifteen minutes we stood in my garage and talked about EVs. We shook hands, and as he turned to leave he said, “I’ll be going to the dealership for a test drive.”

Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
A strange thing happened last night (4/12/13). Just before dinnertime there was a knock at the door. Outside stood a policeman.
“Good evening, sir,” he said, looming over me.
“What can I do for you, officer?” I responded, trying to act nonchalant.
“Do you drive a Fisker Karma?”
“Y-yes,” I said. I had been out a little earlier, running an errand. All I could think about was that front license plate in the trunk. Or maybe I ran someone over while backing up.
“May I see the car?” he asked.
My mind was racing. Should I demand a search warrant?
Sensing my hesitancy, he quickly added, “How does it compare with a Tesla?”
I now saw where this was going. “Well, the cars have different missions,” I replied, breathing again. “If you’re traveling with a family of four, for example, the Tesla has more room for baggage. But the Fisker has a gasoline engine like the Volt, so that’s another consideration. C’mon, I’ll show it to you.”
For the next fifteen minutes we stood in my garage and talked about EVs. We shook hands, and as he turned to leave he said, “I’ll be going to the dealership for a test drive.”
Nice story, but do you think he can afford a Fisker on a police officers salary ?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

maybe he can buy one cheap now:-)

Old 04-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ira

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Karma View Post
Nice story, but do you think he can afford a Fisker on a police officers salary ?
I wondered about that, too. But salaries and pensions are pretty high in Silicon Valley.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Cop with Karma:
http://gothamist.com/2013/04/12/anot...ury_sports.php
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Favorite Karma story? Wow, there are a lot of them for this car. As we know, nothing attracts as much attention as our Fiskers!

One that makes me smile is the time about a year ago that we met friends for a drink and after, when walking to our cars in the garage we got to my Karma first. As I was to learn often happens, the camera phone comes out and pictures are being snapped, with one of our friends saying she just had to show this to her son who collects pics of cool cars. The next morning my email had a "it was good to see you" note with a photo attached. Her son had already captured a photo of my Karma earlier. (Knew it was mine, it was the only deep ocean in town at the time)

The number of people who photograph other people's cars was a new phenomena for me, a year later one I'm sure we've all grown accustomed to. The memory that makes me frown is the time I was driving down the freeway at around 65mph and I noticed that the driver of the car next to me was hanging out the window taking a photo of my Karma. I noticed because his car was weaving around. Scary!
EVer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
I wondered about that, too. But salaries and pensions are pretty high in Silicon Valley.
And the deals on the Karmas are getting better every day.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ira

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVer1 View Post

The number of people who photograph other people's cars was a new phenomena for me, a year later one I'm sure we've all grown accustomed to. The memory that makes me frown is the time I was driving down the freeway at around 65mph and I noticed that the driver of the car next to me was hanging out the window taking a photo of my Karma. I noticed because his car was weaving around. Scary!
These cellphone photos were taken by an individual who didn't know what kind of car he was passing. He subsequently identified it online. When he learned I also had a Karma, he sent the photos to me. The shot with the Karma in the center of the right side view mirror must have been particularly difficult. The individual was driving alone at fairly high speeds, and had to control his car with his left hand, while leaning to the right to get the shot.

Fisker1.JPG

Fisker2.JPG
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
And the deals on the Karmas are getting better every day.
Partly because the Karma's listed on autotrader.com are getting to be higher mileage cars that are also getting older (2014 model year cars in general are coming out in 5 months).
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

My story is similar to Ira's.

About 2 seconds after pulling away from a red light, I saw flashing blue lights behind me. I pulled over and one of West Hollywood's finest came up to ask for license and registration. As I was rummaging through my glove box looking for my registration, I asked the officer what the problem was. He said "Oh, you have tinted windows." Now, the windows in my Fisker are tinted...but only *barely*. So, as a little thought bubble was forming above my head that said something along the lines of "Are you effing kidding me?!", the questions from the officer began: Is this a Fisker? How far does it go on a charge? Are those solar panels on the roof? Do they work? What happens when you run out of charge on the battery? Do you like it? How fast is it? And my favorite...How much did you pay for it? (Only in California would someone think that question was appropriate.)

When I couldn't find the registration, the officer said "Oh, don't bother. We're just looking for bad guys, and you clearly aren't a bad guy. Have fun with your car!"

Clearly, I'd been pulled over so he could ask me about the Karma. And that is some attention from the police that I don't necessarily mind!
Weird Fishes is offline   Reply With Quote