Roof Creaking - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Default Roof Creaking

Hi Fellow Fiskonians,

Has anyone experienced a creaky roof? (actually a buckling noise)

It's pretty loud and the point of origin is a moving target. Sometimes it's from the back, sometime it's from the front or side. It's very annoying.

I attached an industrial suction cup on the glass solar panel to see if I could move it; but I can't. It's mostly when the car flexes over bumps. It's perfectly quite on the highway.

If you have had this, please let me know the remedy.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Hi Fellow Fiskonians,

Has anyone experienced a creaky roof? (actually a buckling noise)

It's pretty loud and the point of origin is a moving target. Sometimes it's from the back, sometime it's from the front or side. It's very annoying.

I attached an industrial suction cup on the glass solar panel to see if I could move it; but I can't. It's mostly when the car flexes over bumps. It's perfectly quite on the highway.

If you have had this, please let me know the remedy.
are you sure its the roof and not the cross bars in the engine bay? There is really not much on the roof to creek
__________________
PLEASE NOTE:
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

Sign up for our mailing list http://www.pwr-source.com
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ira
Senior Member
 
Ira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
are you sure its the roof and not the cross bars in the engine bay? There is really not much on the roof to creek
Same problem. Crossbars were checked and are tight. The loud clicks indicate that some large component in the engine bay or under the car is rubbing. (Hood release cable foam has been performed, so it's not that.)

I have a CSP inspection on Thursday and I'll post the findings.

https://youtu.be/xXMcTirYw7k
__________________
Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
are you sure its the roof and not the cross bars in the engine bay? There is really not much on the roof to creek
Hi PowerSource,
So I read your reply and I said to myself, "No way, the sound is behind me!"
But then I said, "What the heck, I'll tighten the crossbars anyways, even though it makes no sense."

IT WORKED!!!! THANK YOU!!!

So sound just travels through the metal into the glass of the solar panel and then makes noises in different places depending on the where the stress is... I'm sure if went to a body shop to fix this, the cost would have been astronomical.

My car turns 5 this week. Thank you for the birthday gift! It seems like a lifetime ago since I took delivery at Palm Beach Fisker. It's funny how a little thing like a creaking noise can tarnish a relationship. I was seriously thinking of trading her in when the new eMotion comes out. Now... I'm in love all over again.

-s-
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
Same problem. Crossbars were checked and are tight. The loud clicks indicate that some large component in the engine bay or under the car is rubbing. (Hood release cable foam has been performed, so it's not that.)

I have a CSP inspection on Thursday and I'll post the findings.

https://youtu.be/xXMcTirYw7k
This squeaking, sounds like the dash foam (underneath the plastic) has dislodged itself, you can place new foam underneath the plastic threshold piece by the ambient light sensor. Would also put a piece of foam behind the glove box door as that is where the noise could come from as well. Squeaks and rattles are the most annoying thing ever!
__________________
PLEASE NOTE:
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

Sign up for our mailing list http://www.pwr-source.com

Last edited by PowerSource; 05-09-2017 at 08:11 PM.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Hi PowerSource,
So I read your reply and I said to myself, "No way, the sound is behind me!"
But then I said, "What the heck, I'll tighten the crossbars anyways, even though it makes no sense."

IT WORKED!!!! THANK YOU!!!

So sound just travels through the metal into the glass of the solar panel and then makes noises in different places depending on the where the stress is... I'm sure if went to a body shop to fix this, the cost would have been astronomical.

My car turns 5 this week. Thank you for the birthday gift! It seems like a lifetime ago since I took delivery at Palm Beach Fisker. It's funny how a little thing like a creaking noise can tarnish a relationship. I was seriously thinking of trading her in when the new eMotion comes out. Now... I'm in love all over again.

-s-
There are a lot of extrusions on the Karma that allows sound to resonate. Congrats on 5 and here is to another 5!
__________________
PLEASE NOTE:
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

Sign up for our mailing list http://www.pwr-source.com
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ira
Senior Member
 
Ira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Hi PowerSource,
So I read your reply and I said to myself, "No way, the sound is behind me!"
But then I said, "What the heck, I'll tighten the crossbars anyways, even though it makes no sense."

IT WORKED!!!! THANK YOU!!!

So sound just travels through the metal into the glass of the solar panel and then makes noises in different places depending on the where the stress is... I'm sure if went to a body shop to fix this, the cost would have been astronomical.

My car turns 5 this week. Thank you for the birthday gift! It seems like a lifetime ago since I took delivery at Palm Beach Fisker. It's funny how a little thing like a creaking noise can tarnish a relationship. I was seriously thinking of trading her in when the new eMotion comes out. Now... I'm in love all over again.

-s-
I just came back from Pat's garage in SF. The crossbars you tightened have an extension under the cowling that attaches to the outside of the dashboard. In my case one of the bolts was loose, causing an annoying clicking sound and a rash of other cabin squeaks and rattles. Pat and his tech, Naz, found the problem right from the get-go. Now the car is extremely quiet. 😀

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/att...1&d=1494542271.

While the cowling was off, the shop took the time to ensure everything was properly waterproofed.

These guys are the bomb!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash Support Bracket.jpg (72.5 KB, 31 views)
__________________
Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fisker Miami
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,580
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
I just came back from Pat's garage in SF. The crossbars you tightened have an extension under the cowling that attaches to the outside of the dashboard. In my case one of the bolts was loose, causing an annoying clicking sound and a rash of other cabin squeaks and rattles. Pat and his tech, Naz, found the problem right from the get-go. Now the car is extremely quiet. 😀

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/att...1&d=1494542271.

While the cowling was off, the shop took the time to ensure everything was properly waterproofed.

These guys are the bomb!
On another note that bracket that bolts from the inside of the car the bolts go though the firewall your lucky they weren't loose . If they were loose the only way to tighten is taking out the hvac unit not a fun job been there done that
__________________
Lamborghini Broward
Fisker Miami
apotter@warrenhenryauto.com
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
On another note that bracket that bolts from the inside of the car the bolts go though the firewall your lucky they weren't loose . If they were loose the only way to tighten is taking out the hvac unit not a fun job been there done that
another good ole loc-tite fix
__________________
PLEASE NOTE:
These comments are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among owners of the 2012 Fisker Karma.My words may not be quoted by any third party outside FiskerBuzz forums, without express consent.

Sign up for our mailing list http://www.pwr-source.com
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Karma Clear Roof PowerSource Fisker Karma Modifications 21 03-24-2017 03:53 PM
Any idea, whats melting my roof? Stefan Fisker Karma 2 01-22-2016 04:50 PM
Back seat creaking sounds brian Fisker Karma 15 04-21-2015 11:42 PM
Karma glass roof brooken Michael Fisker Karma 2 06-15-2014 04:24 PM
Solar Roof Carved Fisker Karma 10 10-22-2013 09:27 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.